Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Would you take your LO out in 40 degree weather??

If so, how long would you let LO stay out there? I want to start walking again but I don't want DS to freeze to death. I do plan on covering him up with a blanket but I just wanted some input.

Re: Would you take your LO out in 40 degree weather??

• Options
    We were in London and Scotland over Thanksgiving and it was FREEZING.  It was just before the whole country got pummeled with a blizzard - supposedly it was the worst freeze they'd had in more than a decade or two.  We did all kinds of sightseeing out and about in London with James in the stroller.  We had a fleece muff for the stroller that covered his whole body, and hat and gloves and coat and rain cover to block the wind.  It was a lot of prep work to get him in there with all that on, but he seemed pretty cozy and always ended up falling asleep :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If it's windy, I try to get her out as little as possible.  If it's sunny, I would do about 30 mins. (But I live in a warm climate and 40 degrees is pretty cold to us)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    yep.  40 is balmy!  We are going for sleigh rides today and it's only 15 degrees.  Just dress him warmly and throw a thick blanket over him.
  • Options
    I would invest in a weather shield if I wanted to walk frequently with the kids in the winter. DS's babysitter has one. It stays so warm in her Bob Duallie that the boys typically don't even need coats.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageExpectantSteelerFan:
    I don't find 40 degrees to be too bad.  With hat and gloves on, ds will usually happily stay out for an hour maybe?  If it's windy, maybe less.

This. DS tells us when he's too cold and has had enough.

• Options
    I totally would, bundle LO up. I usually don't take DD on walks/outside to play if it's below 15 degrees or so. It can get pretty cold where I live and DD NEEDS outside play time or we both go nuts!
    DD 12/1/2009
    TTC#2 Since May 2012
    Dx PCOS February 2013 on Metformin 1500 mg
    Met with RE October 2013, we've got a plan!
    Surprise BFP on "break cycle" 10/12/13. EDD 6/17/14.
    MMC discovered 11/25/13 at 10 weeks. D&C 11/27/13.
    BFP 2/8/14 Beta#1: 176, Prog 18! Beta#2:335, Prog, 19.5!
    EDD 10/16/2014

• Options

I would have to stay in most of winter if we didn't go out in 40 degree weather. lol

If you have a stroller that can adapt with a weather shield, I would recommend that.  We have one for our BOB and LO stays cozy in there even when it's snowing, raining, etc.  I'm a runner, so I take him out in all kinds of weather.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Oh yeah! I do all the time.  I just put warm layers on with a blanket and hat..socks and shoes. 40's really not that cold.. I guess to me bc we get 9' weather..
  • Options
    Yes or she would not be outside from October to March (sometimes April).  Insulated pants are awesome for that temperature.  When she plays in the snow, she wears snow bibs.  I'll keep her out about an hour, longer if she's been running around (she stays much warmer then).  I check her hands every once in a while to make sure they aren't too cold-that's how I gauge when to bring her in.
  • Options
    Oh my God...40 degress would be freaking balmy weather for us....Yes, yes, yes they can go out in that weather...just dressed appropriately.  We go out in the 20's and 30's...otherwise we'd be stuck in the house for 5 months!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.raisinghopehappinessandlucas.typepad.com 37 and dx with DOR...just fabulous
  • Options

I know DS would love to be outside but I am a crybaby when it comes to the cold weather. But I am tired of sitting around and I am ready to start walking again so once I get all the right clothes tomorrow, we will start going outside! Thanks for the suggestions!

Just for the record, don't think that I NEVER take him outside. I do, I just never stay out there for more than 10 minutes.

• Options
    40 degrees is not cold. 2 degrees is cold. Take LO out, he'll be fine.
  • Options
    40 really isn't cold for us either. We try not to go out if its less than 18 or so, but we play outside all the time in the winter.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options

I have taken her out in zero degree weather before, but we don't own a car, so there's really no choice. When she was an infant, she was so bundled that you couldn't see her, and she would be sweating by the time I took her out. Layering is key, with clothing, outerwear and blankets. I also put a cover on her stroller when it is super cold.

Now that she is older, I still layer her clothes and put her in a thick jacket, pair of boots, gloves with mittens and a hat. When we bike, she has that but a balaklava (kind of face mask/head covering) under her helmet.  She also has an Urban BundleMe, which helps her stay cozy warm. I also still use a cover if it is really cold or windy. 

Forty degrees is spring weather for us, and I would certainly take her out. She would have a lighter jacket with a sweatshirt underneath, with gloves, a scarf and a hat. She would be willing to stay out an hour or longer in that kind of weather. 

• Options
    Yep.  Compared to what it was here this morning (zero), 40 degrees is like summer.  I will usually put him in a heavy jacket, a hat, and gloves and off we go!
  • Options
    DS can stay out for an hour or more in 40 degree weather.  We don't do a lot of stroller walks, so he stays warmer by moving around.  I even take him out to play in the snow in the mid-20s.  In really cold weather, I put knit PJ pants under his sweatpants.  He loves being outside unless it's really windy.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options

imagelidleybosch:
    yep.  40 is balmy!  We are going for sleigh rides today and it's only 15 degrees.  Just dress him warmly and throw a thick blanket over him.

This

• Options
    40 is barely worthy of a jacket LOL! Yesterday and today were well below 0 and we were out and about as usual. Today when it was -10, we walked to a museum and it took us about 10 minutes and we were all fine. At 40 degrees, people start to break out the shorts here!
  • Options
    Considering it's frigid in Chicago right now 40 degrees would feel like summer time so I absolutely would take DS out for some fresh air.
    MC 4/09 at 6w2d 
    Rainbow Jude 
    born: 12/31/09
    Pre-E Induction at 36w4d
    11 Day NICU stay due to GBS infection

TTC#2 10/2010
    M/C: 4/09/11 5w
    CP: 12/26/2011 
    CP: 1/28/2012 
    MMC: 4/16/2012 at 11w2d 
    Ectopic: 6/25/2012 MTX 07/03/12
    CP 11/24/2012 
    Rainbow Violet 
    born: 9/11/13

All ALers welcome! 
  • Options
    TSDTSD member

Considering it's way less than that in NJ and we go out every day, I'd say yes.

• Options
    40 really isn't that cold. We are on the Washington coast this weekend and took DS on a walk on the beach today, it's about 40-45 degrees outside. I put baby legs under his jeans and then had a onesie, long sleeve shirt, a thick hoodie, and a hat on him. He didn't seem to be cold at all.
  • Options
    our daycare takes them outside twice a day as long as it is ofer 30 degrees.  I think they stay out for about a half hour at a time.  We just send a jacket, hat and gloves, and also have snow pants in his bag if it is really chilly.
    DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    40? That's almost spring for us!!! Currently it is -2F (-19C) and if we weren't all sick, I would've gone for a quick walk. DD goes out at DC for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. There is a minimum temp it has to be, but I can't remember it now. But 40 would be beautiful to me! Just make sure they are in layers. We have a bundle me for the stroller, plus hats that fit under her jacket hood, full snowsuit etc.
  • Options
    Yes I would.  As long as they are dressed warmly I don't see the problem with it.  Not sure how long, depends on the wind chill/how cold it really feels once outside.  But I don't see why LO can't be out for about 30 minutes in 40 degree weather.
  • Options
    Of course I would. I wish it was that warm here so we could go out and play for a while. Just put a coat and a hat on.
  • Options
    Absolutely.  I'd just make sure to dress him warm and cover with a blanket.  We were out shopping today and it was below 15 degrees most of the day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wish it was 40 degrees so we could go outside! It was only 10 degrees the past few days. So yes, 40 would feel like a heat wave. We would be out in coats and hats, for an hour, easy!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Wow, I kind of feel stupid now but it's nice to know that 40 isn't actually that bad. I guess I am just a chicken when it comes to the cold.

All I can think is the cold wind hitting his face as I am walking fast or jogging. There is no way I can turn DS around in his stroller and I really don't have the money to buy a new stroller. I will just bundle him up in warm clothes and a hat and hope the cold air doesn't bother his face.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know that 40 degree weather isn't horrible!

• Options
    imagej+s:

Wow, I kind of feel stupid now but it's nice to know that 40 isn't actually that bad. I guess I am just a chicken when it comes to the cold.

All I can think is the cold wind hitting his face as I am walking fast or jogging. There is no way I can turn DS around in his stroller and I really don't have the money to buy a new stroller. I will just bundle him up in warm clothes and a hat and hope the cold air doesn't bother his face.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know that 40 degree weather isn't horrible!

Could you pick up a cover? It really will help. What kind of jogger do you have? BRU will probably have one that will fit your stroller.

• Options
    imagekelbrian:

Could you pick up a cover? It really will help. What kind of jogger do you have? BRU will probably have one that will fit your stroller.

That is actually a great suggestion but I don't think I will need one. I went outside (in less than 40 degree weather) and we were both hot. I was walking super fast and he was wearing two jackets so I think we'll be fine.

I still feel stupid that I thought 40 degrees was too cold. It felt so freakin' good to go walking after not walking for almost 3 months.

I will definitely keep the cover in mind for when we ever move to a colder state/country.

• Options
    Absolutely!  It's winter and we aren't staying in the whole season.  We go to the playground even though usually for no more than an hour or so.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Man, I'd kill for a walk outdoors in 40 degree weather right now! It's like 10 here :(
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    He should be fine with a hat and coat. As TG mentioned, 40 would feel balmy right now. It was -1 when we woke up this morning!
    J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"