February 2011 Moms
Options

for 2+ moms, any tips for introducing DC to new baby?

I am starting to worry about introducing DD to the new baby.  Someone had suggested that I am not holding the baby when DD comes to visit in the hospital.  Also, I have heard that if both kids are crying, tend to the toddler first (because the toddler will remember, while the new baby won't). Any other tips? 

I having been thinking about getting DD a gift from her little brother/sister to open while at the hospital.  I figure that it will bribe her into having a good first impression of the baby and give her something to play with while visiting.  I just am having trouble deciding what to get. I was thinking of a Melissa & Doug food set. Any other suggestions?  Do you think it is just a waste of money?

Re: for 2+ moms, any tips for introducing DC to new baby?

• Options

My DS was 17 1/2 months when his baby sister was born, and when he came into the room I was holding my DD. He didn't really know what to make of her, and fir about the first week whenever he looked at her he'd just cry. (It was a fake cry, it actually made me laugh!) I would let him sit on the couch to hold her, which he LOVED, and I would give him 'super special jobs' that 'help Mommy SOOO much'. It was usually just throwing a diaper away or getting me the wipes, but when he came back with a big happy smile I'd gush on and on about what a BIG help he is to mommy and that I loved him and gave him a big hug.

To this day he feels like she is his responsibility and he still LOVES helping me to anything I ask. He also is so protective of her because I instilled in him how important it it so help me take care of her. :) As for the tending to the toddler before the baby, there's no need for that. When the baby's crying, hold her but also attend to your toddler. It's totally possible, I did it and I have two kids who love me and don't remember those days at all. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    My oldest was almost 3 when his sister was born and we let a grandparent keep him and spoil him the first night/day of hospital stay.  Also another grandparent brought both him & his sister matching stuffed animals one with a pink bow & one with a blue...to this day they both still have them in their beds.  My plan with this one is daddy is going to take them to build a bear so together they can make the baby something special...they will also always have a nice story to remember the birth with.  Our most important thing is to try to keep them on their regular schedule once baby is here and to keep them involved (or at least make them feel involved).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We made sure that everyone addressed our older child first and then asked if he would show them his new brother.  We also had a gift from the baby waiting at the hospital.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't have any tips, but our pedi suggested a gift from DC2 to DC1.  I think we're going to get him a medical/dr kit.  That way when he's there he can take my temperature and such.  Hopefully it'll work out nicely.  I also planning on trying to make him feel as involved and helpful as I can.  Things like PP's said, getting or throwing away diapers, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"