Pre-School and Daycare

Help me think this thru... when to start PS for #2?

My younger son is a hand full.

He's got that kinda personality that loves to push buttons.  

I'm not trying to AW but he's also fairly advanced for his age - not because he's a genius but because he's always been attentive as we've taught his older brother things so he's been exposed from a younger age.

If he starts pre-school next fall he'll go to pre-school for 2 years.

There are kids in older DS's class that are 4 and don't speak, know their letters, etc. or function socially as well as my younger one does.

He REALLY wants to go to school (because big brother does) but I'm mortified that by his 2nd year of pre-school he's gonna be busy stirring up all kinds of trouble due to boredom.

What's the solution here?

I'm pleased with the school itself.  There are 4 teachers to 15 kids.  They do work hard to challenge each child based on their skill level and I'm sure his first year would go fine but that 2nd year has me shaking in my boots.

Do I send him next fall and take the behavior challenges if and as they come?

Or do I hold him back next year so he's only got 1 year of pre-school instead of 2? 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: Help me think this thru... when to start PS for #2?

• In our area, many/most kids attend 2 years of preschool.

But to address your concerns about him being bored, school is so much more than academic. He'd likely not get bored with the social elements. I'd have to think he'd likely get more "bored" by staying home another year while big brother gets to go to school--especially if he is bright.

I teach elementary school, and I have always believed this (it's something a veteran teacher once told me): only boring kids get bored. Meaning, if a child is bright and inquisitive, they will constantly find challenges to overcome, activities to interest them, and new ways of trying skills.

Maybe as a compromise, do a 2 or 3 day program this year, and a 5 day one next year, so he's "building up." 

• In this area most kids go to preschool for two years.  DS1 was quite advanced going into preschool so I found a school that would keep him interested and advanced even though he went into his first year of preschool knowing his numbers, letters and the sounds they make.  Since you already have a school that you like maybe you could talk to them and see if they can modify a bit for your son.  IMO the social aspect and the "school environment" that preschool has really helps kids transition to Kindergarten, so I feel that 2 years is important. 

On the flip side I do see your point and not wanting him to stir up trouble, DS is now in Kindergarten and they aren't challenging him as much as his preschool did so he "does is own thing" now and then, which I really don't like because he's a really good kid, he's just bored!  I'm working with them to challenge him, they do realize he's smart, they just haven't caught up to his level yet.  GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you're in a similar program to what I had J in (DC, right?)

J went for one year.  A friend of mine has a daughter currently going her second year.  First year she only did 2 days a week, this year 4 days a week.  She's bored, although she did mention that the teachers tried to push her a little more than the other kids and challenge her more. 

I thought about doing two year for M as well, but now I'm rethinking it. 

• imagesara_c:

I think you're in a similar program to what I had J in (DC, right?) 

Yes... DC.

Dylan will end up only going 1 year and only 2 days a week at that and it's been PERFECT.

DH mentioned 2 days the first year and then 4 days the 2nd year for Jace but I honestly think it would be WORSE to have him in 4 days the 2nd year, KWIM?

The teachers are great and we've been so happy with the program.... I just worry about Mr. Troublemaker.

Dylan on the other hand would happily go 2 years in a row and do the exact same thing all over again the 2nd year with no issues.

It's just a personality difference between the kids. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • imagehowleyshell:

Dylan on the other hand would happily go 2 years in a row and do the exact same thing all over again the 2nd year with no issues.

Most teachers don't do the exact same thing year after year.  It would get old to them.  AND hopefully they learn from successes and failures and consider what worked and didn't work during a previous year when making their lesson plans.  They go to continuing education course, take from other teachers, and come up with new ideas or ways to do things.  Also, different groups of kids have such different dynamics that any good teacher has to take that into account when planning curriculum, activities, etc.  Teaching should be dynamic, not robotic, so it is very possible for a child to have the same teacher for 2 years and not have the same experience.  

• Does the preschool have different classes for different age groups?  If so I would think that he would be totally fine.  At my younger DD's school, the classes are mostly age based - Preschool 1 is 2 1/2 to 3 years.  Preschool 2 is 3 years and potty trained and Preschool 3 is 4 years.  They do different things in each class and they don't stick to the age stuff for the kids that are ready to be in the next class.  My younger DD started the preschool 1 program 3 months early as she was bored in the toddler program and so would have moved up to the preschool 2 room months ago if she would ever potty train.  She will be 3 in March.

My older DD started a pre-k program this fall at 4 years and a few months.  For a few reasons we have decided to hold her back a year and have her repeat the pre-k program.  One other boy in her class is doing that as well.  The teachers have said that they have at least 1 child a year who is held back for a variety of reasons and that the kids are never bored as they make sure to work with the kids at the level that they are at.  One example of that is with the journals that they "write" in.  My DD started the year out able to write out all her letters so she spends journal time working on her letters and drawing pictures.  The one little boy who is repeating the program has his letters all down pat and is working on writing words and more advanced things in his journal.  The teachers really spend time at the beginning of the year figuring out where each child is and then working with each child to develop their skills.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imagejlw2505:

Does the preschool have different classes for different age groups?  

Nope.

Public pre-school.  15 kids ages 3-4 (almost 5 by the end of the year) with 2 teachers and 2 teachers/therapists (OT and ST).

I'll ask about how they handle kids repeating 2 years in a row.

Thanks! 

• Maybe you could ask the director or one of your favorite teachers there what their advice would be?  Assuming of course that you trust them to give you an honest opinion and not a business-generating perspective.

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"