St. Louis Babies

Where did you deliver???

I just wanted to get opinions on hospitals.  I haven't had my first app yet, but I'm pretty sure my DR is affiliated with MOBAP.  I hear they have a great maternity ward and really good NICU just incase.  Any of you delivered there?  Also, I see Dr Meera Patel...have any of you delivered with her?  This is my first and I was just wondering about your experience. 

Any thoughts or advise would be great!  Thanks!!!

Re: Where did you deliver???

• I delivered at St. Luke's and plan to deliver future children there.  I have heard really great things about MoBap though.  Two of my friends delivered there and had wonderful experiences.  I recommend going on a hospital tour just to get the feel of the hospital.  I think one of the best NICU's in the area is at St. John's, but that should not determine your choice (it is right down the road from MoBap if it is needed).  Your doctor will have some good input for you as well.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I delivered at St. Johns and they were amazing! It really was a wonderful experience. It has one the best NICU's in the area and that eased my mind a lot. I know it would be easy to transfer there from another hospital if needed, but for me I liked knowing if something came up they would be right there.

Everyone from my doctor to the housekeeper made me feel at home and that I was their only patient to take care of. I really enjoyed the personal care.

TTC #2 July 2014

Me: 35 DH: 36

FF Chart

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

DD1 Feb 2010

• Loading the player...
  • I had and will continue to have my children at St. John's.  I know people say it is a baby factory but I figure it is for a reason.  I never felt like a number and I felt like everyone doted on me.  I was also impressed with their NICU which is good to have just in case. 
  • Thanks for the info ladies.  I will check with my DR and see if she is affiliated with St. Johns since it is so close to MoBap.
  • Well, it would help to know what type of pregnancy and birth experience you're looking for.

OB's and hospitals are VERY different and if there is something specific you're hoping to get from your birth experience will determine whether or not an OB or a birthing location is appropriate for you.

For example, if you are wanting an unmedicated birth there are better hospitals than other and better OB's than others. If you want a waterbirth. If you want an elective induction or an elective cesarean. Are you expecting a high risk pregnancy or delivery. All these things can affect your decision in care providers and birthing locations. 

• I toured at both MoBap and St. John's. We ended up going with St. John's. I had GREAT experiences with both boys (except for one baby nurse with DS1). I would recommend it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • I delivered at MoBap and had a great experience.  The new main downfalls are having to change rooms for postpartum (not a big deal) and some of the pp rooms are small.  But, it just made people not think they needed to hang around all day and night.
  • I delivered both my boys at St. John's and will deliver there again. I would never want to deliver anywhere else. We did have need of the NICU for both our boys and were so glad it was there. Their NICU also got some upgrades recently. My SIL works as a NICU nurse and says it's even better than before now. I only had a problem w/ 1 nurse having poor bedside manner. I talked to the charge nurse and never saw her again for the rest of my stay. The LCs there are awesome as well.

I've had some friends deliver at MoBap and they all said it was ok no one had rave reviews. The only bad one I heard was from a friend about bfing. She was struggling at first and her milk hadn't come in yet on the second day (which is not uncommon in fact pretty normal) and the nurses said she would have to give the baby formula since her milk wasn't going to come in. Luckily she didn't listen to them and kept at it.

I think the best thing to do is for you and you SO to take a tour of any place you think you may want to deliver at and decide after that where you would like to deliver. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Re: NICU at MoBap: I don't know if anything has changed in the last year, but a year ago my friend had her baby at MoBap.  The baby unexpectedly needed the NICU, and MoBap did not have the resources; the baby had to be transferred to Children's and my friend was left at MoBap.  This is one of the reasons I'm going to deliver at St. John's--I want that fully equipped NICU on site just in case!

I know several people who have delivered at MoBap and they had pretty positive experiences.  Even in the situation above, my friend liked her nurses and felt that she was well taken care of.  The rooms are recently remodeled and very nice, too. 

imageBabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered at MoBap and loved it....couldn't have asked for a better experience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know I am late on this one, but I wanted to give you my experience with MoBap. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I delivered all 3 of my boys there (2 pregnancies) They were nothing but amazing for me. I really only associated with my doctor or doctors in my practice, but the two doctors that I dealt with other than my own were great too. The nurses knew me by name with my pregnancy with the twins so it was great to know they knew my history. My twins were even in the MoBap commercial! They shot the commercial 4 days after they were born.

When it comes to the NICU aspect of the hospital, they have a level 3 special care nursery on site. Anything that they aren't equiped to handle will most likely be sent to St. Louis Children's hospital which is a 15 minute drive from MoBap. They are both in the BJC system. St. Louis Children's hospital is ranked one of the top 5 in the nation for pediatric hospitals. (I have to boast on them, I work there) It is really up to you and where you feel comfortable! If you need to know anything about either MoBap or SLCH, just PM me!

• I LOVED MOBAP. Excellent experience.  The nurses were so great and I had a rough time post-delivery (lost a lot of blood, almost passed out, etc.). I like that it's a bit smaller than St. John's, so often the nurses have fewer moms to take care of, but St. John's is exellent, too.  We are lucky to have so many great L&D hospitals in STL. Friends have also loved St. Luke's.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered my first at St. John's on New Ballas Rd. and plan to deliver this one there as well. The staff was amazing and so helpful. They also have an awesome NICU from what I've heard (thankfully I havent had to use it). I wasn't sold on St. John's before I delivered but ever since I wouldn't even dream of going anywhere else. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"