LGBT Parenting

PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

What's new ladies? 

QOTD - How much did you (or do you plan to) baby proof when your LO(s) started crawling? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

• imagethemommymonster:

QOTD: We didn't baby proof too much. We had outlet covers in place, but we didn't buy the cushions that you are supposed to put on corners tables and things. He made it out alive. :)

I think this is route I'm going to take. I have outlet covers in place and bookcases are bolted to the wall.  We have a few lower kitchen cabinets with vases that I might put baby locks on. I bought a baby gate for the top of the stairs. This way she can pretty much crawl around the entire upstairs without me having to worry.  I'm not sure yet if I'll gate the bottom of the stair.  My feeling is that I would rather have her explore things and understand what they do even if she may get a bang or bruise every now and again.

• QOTD - We had gates up at the top of the stairs, outlet covers, locks on a few cabinets that had breakables/under the sink cleaning supplies, and a drawer locks (when they could walk/stand, they could/would reach blindly into the drawer where we had sharp knives), a knob lock on  the bathroom doors (they had free reign of the upstairs and they would either play in the toilet or unroll toilet paper in a second), and a lock on the storage closet in their playroom (which has come in handy since they can't do it still and it is where we kept their Christmas gifts!)

And we had them penned into our living room with a Play Yard until they could scale it at about 2y. It was mostly to keep them away from our old/blind/senile/snippy dog but also so we could have a place where we knew they could play and be safe.

Anyone in this area want some really nice wooden baby gates? We still have them up (but open) and need to take them down (they are bolted into the wall.)

I am finding 4y olds to be an odd mix of loving to me/each other, nasty ("I am not going to invite you to my party" - never mind they have the same party), and painfully silly. They've started on this mock military "YES MA'AM" (with saluting - and not in a respectful way) that is driving me nuts. And the talk about poop, butts (not a word they are allowed to say), kicking people in the face, etc is about to drive me batty. But then they snuggle up to me or encourage/cheer each other on and it melts my heart.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • What's new? My baby is going to be 1 in less then a month!! I can't comprehend how fast that went. She's also working on 4 teeth right now and is miserable at night. 

QOTD: We put on outlet covers and have a baby gate blocking off the stairs and the divide between the dining room and living room. That gives her the whole living room to play around in.

We moved breakable items to "higher ground" and filled lower shelves with her toys and books, so that she can easily grab things she wants.

In the kitchen we put a latch only on the cabinet under the sink which has cleaning supplies, otherwise we aren't worried about it. We put our cheaper plastic Tupperware (that we aren't using all the time) into the bottom two drawers, so she can open them and play with what she finds. She LOVES her tupperware drawers!

We also made sure to teach her how to get down off of the couches (backing down, feet first). We got a few of the corner guards, but didn't do any of the other padding stuff. 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Update: Daisy starts daycare in 5 days Crying  I went through the girls' clothes last night and packed away all the preemie clothes (at almost 2 months old, she's finally into newborn!).  It was so crazy wondering if that might be the last time I would use those tiny clothes.  With RB i always knew there would be another baby, but there's a chance that Daisy will be my last little squishy and I'm not sure I like that feeling. Then again, she had me up every.damn.hour. last night wanting to eat which made those newborn longings fade quickly.

For a little brag, can i just say that RB has been the most amazing sleeper ever??  Going down wide awake, but without any fuss, then not seeing her until morning.  Its been a couple weeks now and i'm shocked every morning. Its so lovely.  (ps - Meegs, take hope from my story!  Eventually, it will just click!) 

QOTD: We babyproof only to the extent required by the state which means outlet covers and cabinet locks on ones with cleaning supplies. Not that it matters since she can take off both.  We also have finger guards for a few of our doors since RB has learned how to close the door and lock it.  We've got a gate up in the fireplace in the playroom, but honestly that's more for the comfort of friends who come over to play...if it was just us, we probably wouldnt use any gates in the house.  We haven't had a need for any on our stairs.

We are definitely the least "baby-proofed" of our friends, but we just dont see the need.  My house is small enough that i know where she is and what she's getting into at all times. 

• imagectbride08:

For a little brag, can i just say that RB has been the most amazing sleeper ever??  Going down wide awake, but without any fuss, then not seeing her until morning.  Its been a couple weeks now and i'm shocked every morning. Its so lovely.  (ps - Meegs, take hope from my story!  Eventually, it will just click!) 

Thanks! Its definitely good to be reminded of this.

Right now, I'll just be happy when these teeth are in (I can see them below the surface... so I'm hoping a week? maybe less?). 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

• We are working on baby number 2! No one IRL knows this so shhh it is a secret!

QOTD: We have outlet covers in all of our outlets. We also babygate off the stairs...but that is more for the dogs right now than Ky as two of our little yorkies think diapers are fantastic treats and I would rather them not be roaming around up there getting into who knows what. We will be getting the locks for the cabinets under the sink here soon as that is where I keep my cleaning supplies. That is about all the babyproofing we will do.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagethemommymonster:

Ann would LOVE your siggy pic! She is a HUGE packer fan.....my poor living room is covered since we moved to a two bedroom apartment and she no longer has a "man cave".

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagectbride08:

We haven't had a need for any on our stairs.

Having been to your house (and you to mine) our stairs are sort of similar in that they are both just off the kitchen.  Did you find that when you were cooking RB would take for the stairs?  JB hangs out in the kitchen with me and for the most part just plays with the dog bowls (yes folks, I allow my DD to play in dog water).  If she finds an interest in the stairs though I'm wondering if it will just be easier to gate them. Or did RB pick up stairs pretty quickly?  I'm still going to gate the top level since she crawls around on the landing and in and out of our bedrooms in the morning while I'm getting ready.

• imageTwo*True:
    imagectbride08:

We haven't had a need for any on our stairs.

Having been to your house (and you to mine) our stairs are sort of similar in that they are both just off the kitchen.  Did you find that when you were cooking RB would take for the stairs?  JB hangs out in the kitchen with me and for the most part just plays with the dog bowls (yes folks, I allow my DD to play in dog water).  If she finds an interest in the stairs though I'm wondering if it will just be easier to gate them. Or did RB pick up stairs pretty quickly?  I'm still going to gate the top level since she crawls around on the landing and in and out of our bedrooms in the morning while I'm getting ready.

It was really only a brief period of time where i was worried about her on the stairs - and you're right - she always gets interested when i'm cooking, lol.  But since they are right there, i could hear that she was going for them and would just do my best to stop whatever i was doing to spot her.  I think its because I allowed her so much stair practice that she got it quickly - now she's goes up them like a pro and I dont worry in the slightest. fwiw, she's never fallen or gotten hurt on them.

• help! what do the acronyms mean? i know TTC, but the others are foreign to my brains! :)

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• imageMeegs10.13.06:
    imagectbride08:

Right now, I'll just be happy when these teeth are in (I can see them below the surface... so I'm hoping a week? maybe less?). 

have you started brushing her teeth?  The dentist told us that frequent brushing will help "exfoliate" (i'm sure that's not the word, but you get the idea) the gums and get the teeth to break through sooner.  So when we know one is about to break through, we let her chew on her toothbrush all day long and it does seem to help.

• we're ready for try number 3. I triggered last night and go in tomorrow morning for the IUI. I have two good sized follies, one at 20 on the left and one at 25 on the right.

QOTD: we have outlet covers or outlets with built-in baby proofers. we also put latches on some of the kitchen cabinets (under the sink and one with tin foil/plastic baggies/etc). we have a ranch-style house so we don't have many stairs--just two going down into our living room and two going up to the exterior door at the back of the living room--but we do have a gate mounted at the top of our basement stairs since there's no door, and a compression gate that we put up to keep him in the living room when we're playing in there. other than that we didn't do much, we just try to keep things we don't want him getting into up above his reach. we tried the table corner things but they quickly turned into teethers and he pulled half of them off, so we didn't bother to replace them.

• imageInfamousQBert:
    help! what do the acronyms mean? i know TTC, but the others are foreign to my brains! :)

pcp - pre-conception planning

atp - all things parenting

we figure that pretty much covers any stage a member may be at :-)

• imageInfamousQBert:
    help! what do the acronyms mean? i know TTC, but the others are foreign to my brains! :)

pcp - pre-conception planning

atp - all things parenting

we figure that pretty much covers any stage a member may be at :-)

• ahhh, thank you!

we're in the TTC group, then. did our first IUI on friday and am trying desperately not to go do a test this early.

baby-proofing: my wife is one of those who wants to lock me in a padded room for the duration of the pregnancy, whereas i'm from the jeff foxworthy school of parenting theory. "let 'em pull it down on their head. they'll learn!" so, i'm sure we'll have a little more baby-proofing than i think is strictly necessary, but not covering the whole house in padding. we don't have a lot of super sharp cornered furniture (like glass coffee tables or similar), so the corner things seem unlikely. but definitely the outlet covers and probably a few baby gates for the stairs and general corralling when needed. we'll also have to figure out something for the catbox. ew.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• imagectbride08:

have you started brushing her teeth?  The dentist told us that frequent brushing will help "exfoliate" (i'm sure that's not the word, but you get the idea) the gums and get the teeth to break through sooner.  So when we know one is about to break through, we let her chew on her toothbrush all day long and it does seem to help.

We brush not enough... I'm really making an effort to make it part of her night routine. Maybe I'll just have to give her one to walk around with too!! 

• imageMeegs10.13.06:
    imagectbride08:

We brush not enough... I'm really making an effort to make it part of her night routine. Maybe I'll just have to give her one to walk around with too!! 

I brush JB's teeth (she's up to 7 now!) while she is in the tub.  She gets excited when I she sees me pull the brush and toothpaste out.  Then she giggles when I rub it on her teeth and gums.  Try making part of the fun and I bet you'll find yourself doing it more often.

• We have outlet covers and locks on certain cab.  like under the kitchen sink and bathroom.  We also have locks on the tv cab just so she doesn't mess with the electronics.  As E has gotten older she really gets into things fast and if we need to leave the room to do something she needs to be contained.  We gate her into the living and dinning room and out of the laundry room where the cat box is.  We balance not having too much and alowing her to explore but also keep her from things that will hurt her.  In some ways it gets even harder when they are toddlers. They are just so much more interested in being naughty.

On this note E's newest hobby is climbing and it is getting a bit crazy.  As short as she is we have kind of been protected from this to an extent (still about 28 inches) but she is figuring things out pretty quickly and we are finding her on top of everything.  I was nick named the human fly so I think I know where she gets it from.  I guess payback is a biotch.

• A brought home a wonderful progress report yesterday, Advanced in Reading, Proficient in Math and Writing.  That's an A and two B's, woohoo!

On the fostering front, still not much going on, waiting for a call.

J just got word this morning that she is being promoted for the second time by the end of this month.  She was also let in on a secret that she would be transferred to another store with two managers from her store to form the upper management team!  That should happen sometime in February.

QOTD:  With A, I put locks on all the lower cabinets, put those corner bumper things on the coffee table and TV stand, and put outlet covers on.  I ended up taking the bumper things off after a week because the glue wouldn't stick and they kept falling off.  I'm also of the school of thought that a child needs a few bumps and bruises to learn.

This time around I have only the minimum of what our agency and the state require; outlet covers and locks on the cabinets with medicine, knives, and cleaning supplies. 

I am a lot more lax than J in letting kids fall and get hurt learning to do something new, J is very careful making sure kids don't fall at all.

• imageTwo*True:

I brush JB's teeth (she's up to 7 now!) while she is in the tub.  She gets excited when I she sees me pull the brush and toothpaste out.  Then she giggles when I rub it on her teeth and gums.  Try making part of the fun and I bet you'll find yourself doing it more often.

7!! Go JB! She has out-striped Gwen by far. 

• I have something to contribute! Something very minor. But still.

Jen has started charting. And eating a lot of vegetables and drinking raspberry leaf tea to "tone" her uterus (mmhmm), which I may have mentioned in another post. So really, just the charting. But yay! TTC, here we come! In April or May.

Clearly, our house is not babyproofed. Yet. :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageMeegs10.13.06:
    imagectbride08:

What's that I see?? Light?? At the end of the tunnel???? Happy to hear there is hope!!! Smile

Can you guess my update? My good sleeper is GONE! I don't know where he went, but I want him back!! He seems to be close to his first tooth/teeth, but I don't know.  He seems to be close to crawling, but I don't know.  All I know is he is a hot mess! And I am tired!! LOL  Actually, I shouldn't complain too much because he had a good nap this AM (THANK GOD - last night was his worst night in ages).  So I am hoping that is a sign of things to come...  Though it did take forever to get him to sleep tonight... Crossing my fingers for tonight!

QOTD: Funny you should ask, I just put outlet covers on my shopping list Wink I think we'll do outlet covers, a gate for the top of the stairs, and we were given a hand me down gate that is movable (not the kind that screws into the wall) which I'll probably keep downstairs to use in living room/kitchen as needed when I need to do something.  We have a sunken living room, and a sunken foyer, so there are three areas on the first floor with just a couple of steps. I know some of my family expects me to put gates at all of them, but I think that is crazy.  Cabinet lock for cleaning supplies.  Anything else, we'll wait and see if he is enough of a wild man to really warrant it Smile

And....he's up!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Life with our little man is keeping us busy. Wow, I don't know where the hours go anymore! I feel like all I do these days are feed, pump, and change diapers...but I am totally loving life as a mom. DW too. We're slowly starting to develop some routines and it feels great.

DS had a 6 week check-up today and he is a healthy little boy....up 3lbs since birth and 2 more inches long. Tomorrow, I'm packing up all his newborn sized clothing because they are officially too small. He's growing so quickly!

• Oh, how I love reading this thread every week!  Remember when all we had to talk about were bridesmaids dresses, suits, and photographers? :)

TTC: IUI sometime in the next week.  I'm worried that I'll O over the weekend (my RE doesn't do IUIs over the weekend).  We have an appointment Monday morning and he said, "It might be too late, but we'll see."  WTH?  I'm charting every sign I can possibly think of so if I do O over the weekend, I'll cancel this cycle so we don't waste more money.  What a hassle.  Next time we TTC, I'm switching REs!

AOTD:  We've done outlet plugs (1 yr. old niece) already.  We'll fence up the kitchen and move frames and other decorative items up to a higher area so they can't be pulled down.  I think that's enough?  We'll see when there's an actual small person.

• What a pain in the a**, Mandy!! My doctor does them over the weekend but you have to call before 8am or you are s*it out of luck - and I thought we had it bad!! I can't imagine missing a whole cycle because it happens on a weekend!  I am sorry, I hope you hold out!

TTC:  I am 4dpo today and am caffeine free since last Saturday.  ugg... I don't drink soda and only have 1 cup of coffee in the morning but I am going all out this cycle and have done everything from from standing on my head (not really) to eating wheat grass (really) and nothing has worked yet, so this cycle I have so I kissed my steamy warm cup o' love goodbye (in the middle of the worst winter ever..of course.) and replaced it with homemade organice smoothies (brrr) and holy crap, I want a cup of coffee, damnit!! I stopped for a decaf this morning and though different, it was warm and heavenly!  

ATP:  Our adoption meeting was cancelled last night - poop.  But we have the application and are meeting with friends this weekend over coffee (AHH!!!!) to talk about their experiences with the state and make sure, before we fill it out, that we are ready to start the process. 

QOTD:  Our house will be a bit of baby proofing nightmare.   It was built in the 1800's so there are a lot of smaller rooms (read: tons of doorways and no doors and most of the doors we do have are a bit off and don't close all the way) and a super steep set o'wooden stairs.  I think for sanity reasons alone, we will have to buy a lot of gates (since we can't see through walls :).  It'll be 5 gates just to block off the family room.. maybe I should open a baby gate savings account..

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey All,

So happy to be back here at the bump but not at work...DW is at home with the seahorse for 2 months and then daycare...I had to go get meds to help me sleep and cope and was diagnosed with PPD-which I think I knew I had but was reluctant to admit.  not really the depressed part, but the anxious part.  I just got a call form DW who said the baby was flipping out and when I suggested just taking her outside it worked!  I kinda love being the one to turn to when it comes to soothing her. but I would have never made it in the other ways if it hadn't been for DW.  We are both kind of hanging by a thin thread this week. your prayers healing vibes are much requested.

QOTD: I think I might have a panic attack if I think about it too much but your ideas are appreciated...hope to feel better soon.

• Hi all,

we are still adjusting to me going to work and DW staying at home.  just got off the phone with her and the baby is absolutely flipping out.  more than I've ever heard.  none of the tricks are working.  I want them to just come to me at work.  what to do?  and i also just got diagnosed with PPD though it's mostly anxiety and sleeplessness--the drugs are GOOD though and supposedly safe for nursing-but at this point it's me, the mama, who needs to be taken care of first.  Your prayers requested please!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"