Boston Babies

Anyone use a midwife at the Brigham?

I'd love to hear reviews and feedback about your midwife and experience.  Thanks!

Re: Anyone use a midwife at the Brigham?

• I'm in my first trimester so I haven't actually experienced a birth at Brigham but my pregnancy is being followed by a midwife who's part of the Brigham rotation. Her name is Ashley Wilson and I think she's great.

I started working with her at my yearly appointment and when I found out I was pregnant, I made my first OB appointment with her as well. She's a very nice person and incredibly knowledgeable. I instantly felt comfortable with her. My husband came along too and he really liked her as well.

I had concerns about using a midwife (I thought she would be all about natural child birth) but Ashley is very comfortable with what works best for the mother (I want an epidural). 

We were told that Brigham has a "meet the midwives/doctors" night every month or so. We plan on going, when I'm further along in my pregnancy to meet the group. You might want to look into that to get a better idea of who's there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for your response :)  When you had a yearly appt with her before you were pregnant, what did it entail? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Just the usual...background questions, Pap, etc...same as with the gynecologist.

I was thinking about TTC so she gave me great information on how the menstrual cycle works, ovulation, etc (you always think you know everything until you try to get pregnant). I was immediately struck by how much information she had and how she took the time to share.

I'd never worked with a midwife before but I'm beginning to see how much more personalized attention you get. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used a midwife there and couldn't say enough! They were with me the whole time pushing and so supportive. I would have had an episiotomy for sure had they not done mant interventions to avoid it. I also had an epidural. Best of both worlds IMO- security of OB right there in a big hospital, monitoring etc but personaliztion of midwives.
  • Also- I highly recommend going to meet the midwives- very informative!
  • Couldn't agree more with Amore0808. Best of both worlds. While prego, I had a midwife that I saw in conjuction with my OB. She was the best. I ended up not caring so much for my OB. But my midwife was amazing. So patient and informative and not pushy or over opinionated. Unfortunately, she was not on the day I was induced. But I had another amazing midwife. Then even though her shift was ending, she stayed with the new midwife on the next morning to stay with me thru delivery. It was amazing - I ended up with two!  They kept me very informed and were so supportive. A doc came in the room at one point and I honestly could have done without her. The midwives were the most helpful.

Oh and I had an epidural and they were totally supportive. Midwives are not about natural childbirth. My experience was a more personal one with a midwife. I just feel they are more connected to their patients and the process of childbirth. And the best part is you are in a big hosp. with all the 'back-up' you might need. I went to the meet the midwives... if you have questions, it's def. worth the time. Best of luck! :)

PS: the midwife I was seeing all thru my pregnancy was in my room to check on me (and see DD) as soon as her shift started that evening. :) So amazing! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"