Special Needs
Options

Just visiting, looking for advice . . .

Hey ladies - hope you don't mind me visiting over here.  I heard that this was an awesome support group and I was hoping for a bit of advice or insight. . . I really hope that doesn't seem insensitive of me . . . . . .

Anyways, the short version is that my quad screen came back abnormal for trisomy 21 (1 in 67).  My ob said our next step is to consider an amnio - she wants it done this week so we have an appt with the MFM group on Friday.  My ob is understandably difficult to get ahold of, but I find it fusterating to wait until Friday for answers, esp. knowing we have to make a decision that day.  And she has particularly cautioned us about the risks associated with an amnio because I'm carrying twins (thus, risks to both). 

If anyone has had abnormal bloodwork or an amnio, would you be willing to share your story or experience?  At this point I don't even know the questions to ask . . . . the whole situation is overwhelming me! 

Re: Just visiting, looking for advice . . .

• Options

Wow, you must be so overwhelmed and scared. (HUGS)

I did not have an abnormal quad screen but at our 18 week fetal survey, the perinatalogist noted some abnormalities like a 2 vessel umbilical cord. He?recommended?we do an amnio to rule out any gross chorosomal abnormalities.

I think I did the amnio the next day. It was relatively easy. A tech performed an abdominal ultrasound while the doctor inserted the needle. The needle didn't hurt but I did have a strong cramp when it went through my uterus. The whole process took about 5 minutes and I spent the next 2 days at home feeling mildly crampy. The intial results came back in 2 days, the complete results in 7 days. They were normal but DD was born with a very rare mutated gene that an amnio could not screen for.

?I was not worried about having the amnio because I felt confident in my perinatologist abilities. I believe he performs almost 10,000 a year.

Would your OB be performing the amnio or are you being referred to a perinatologis? In your case, I think the latter would be better. You want someone who is as experienced as possible- most OBs don't do amnios anymore.

But you also need to consider if you would terminate that one twin if the amnio came back abnormal. If you absolutely would not terminate under any condition then I don't see much point in doing the amnio even if the risk of miscarriage is low.

It's a tough decision and I feel for you. Please keep us updated and I will be sending very positive thoughts your way.?

?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi. I am sorry you are going through this. My friend had an abnormal quad and had the amnio the next day. They thought it was high for Down's. She had the amnio and a week later the results came back that her baby was fine. There are a lot of false positives with the quad. Did you have the 1st trimester screening? It is up to you to have the amnio, if my friend knew she had a choice she wouldnt have done it.

I wish you the best.

Julian David 8/7/06 and Isabella Mia 5/14/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I hope I am not over stepping here, but wanted to send you a link to a blog that I frequent. I can promise you tears, but it gives you a prespective of choosing what may or may not be right for you. I had a child with abnormal ultrasound and amino showed Trisomy 18, I made a decision that I regret every day. At the time I thought it was right for me, but knew I was telling myself that it was right, when I knew it wasn't what I wanted. I was hoping to avoid heartache, but it hurts either way. 

Please frequent here as often as you would like, there are mom's on here who's DC have DS. I am so sorry for the road you face and pray that your results will prove to be positive. If you would like to email me you can.

trecurtis @ hotmail

• Options
    i had the afp done and it came back postitive 1 in 35 chance.  i got a level 2 ultrasound and no markers were found so then it was 1 in 70 chance.  i refused the amnio so we didn't find out that ry had Down syndrome until he was born. honestly, it is a lot of work, but it is amazingly rewarding.  i wouldn't have it any other way!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"