Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Opinions: Cold Sores

Hi Ladies - looking for honest opinions here. 

- If you get cold sores, how do you feel about going out in public with them?  Religious services, kids birthday parties, etc?

- If you don't get cold sores, how do you feel about those who DO get them, being in public places during an outbreak?  i.e. How would you feel if a parents came to your child bday party, and had a cold sore?

I ask because I do get them, and while I am not self conscious about it (I'm not embarrassed) I do feel that others might be uncomfortable seeing me in public.  I take extreme precautions, but I am aware that most people will not know that about me.  My wonderful DH took DD to 3 bday parties this weekend and church so that I wouldn't have to go.  I'm in hiding.  Anyway, just curious about honest opinions regarding this! 

Doriimage
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!

Re: Opinions: Cold Sores

• Options

Ugh, I get them myself too.  I hate them.  I have only been getting small ones in the last few years but that you can (in my opinion) still see them. I never got any when i was pregnant with both of my LOs but of course once they were born I got one within a week or two.  I am self conscious of them and hate going out when I have one.  I am glad I am on mat leave so if I get one I don't have to go out.  I never kiss my kids on the lips and try to teach my DD not to kiss anyone on the lips either to try and prevent her from getting them.  But if I have to go to places I do.   I work in a hospital (xray/ultrasound) so I don't mind wearing masks on those days..lol. If I was to go somewhere like a party I will either drink something that I can use a straw or a throw away cup.  Plastic utensils if they have them as well.  I always wonder what other people think as well.  I don't care if someone comes to my place if they have one (because I know what it is like), obviously things get washed.  Once when I dropped my DD off at her daycare the other little girl there who was 4 said to me "what happened to your face?"  It was kinda funny because she seemed really concerned...but I was thinking...it is just my lip not my whole face...lol. 

I am curious to see what people think who don't get them.  

• Options
    I got one about ten years ago.  I was really stressed and haven't gotten one since (fingers crossed).  I was embarrassed by it.  I had to be the maid of honor in a wedding and was not thrilled to be out doing something so public.  I consoled myself by thinking that people only really care about the bride!  When I see other people with them, I only feel empathy. . .not disgust.  I've been there.  Hopefully, most people react similarly.  They might not have had a cold sore, but something else yucky . . .like a  huge pimple.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get the often. Always have. I get them when I eat alot of acidy food or stressed out. I get self conscience about them, but it doesn't stop me from going out in public or what not.  And when I see other people with them, I don't think anything negative of them. I just think oh poor guy. They have my issues. lol.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I get them too.  I am more self conscience about he way I look because I get big ones. 

I go out and do my usual, i have never thought about if I should not go out with them.

I never share cups/drinks though.  

However I have seen little kids with them.  And I think when your child has them, they should stay in/not get sent to day care.  they put their mouths on things, share cups, etc.  I think that is the only time someone should stay in with them.

• Options
    I'm a lurker that just happened to fall on this board.  Speaking from someone that's never had a cold sore and neither have my kids, I would not be bothered in the least that you have a cold sore.  Now if you were trying to kiss my kids or drinking from their cups- I would have huge issues with that (but I assume you'd never do that).  That's my honest opinion, I think its silly that your in hiding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"