Houston Babies
Options

cloth diapering....

I am considering cloth diapering.  DH is NOT on board yet.  I know that some of you cloth diaper...  would you have any suggestions on where to start?

I was thinking having the disposable liners would be more amenable to DH...  but truly, I have no idea on even where to start...

any thoughts, suggestions, help? :) 

Re: cloth diapering....

• Options

Is he going to be doing the laundry? If not, then there's absolutely nothing he needs to differently...at least not early on. If you're exclusively breastfeeding, there's no need to deal with liners. BM poop is completley water soluble so there is no rinsing necessary. Diapers go right in the bin just like sposies. When she started solids we installed a diaper sprayer on the toilet and he left the folded poop diaper on the back of the toilet for me to deal with. I didn't complain. These days most poop just plops in the toilet...I do that with disposables as well! I do laundry 2-3 times a week and we saw no increase in our utilities. 

Does he think they'll be hard to change? 80% of mine are pockets diapers that go on just like a disposable...many with velcro. The others involve the difficult task of laying a folded diaper in a cover and putting it on just like a regular diaper.  

• Options

Show him a cloth diaper and prove just how close it is to "real" diapering! The only difference in our routine is when the hamper in the nursery gets full of dirty diapers, I take it to the washer and not outside to the garbage can. J doesn't do diaper laundry but he has zero problems with CDing after realizing just how easy it is.

I use pockets (which require stuffing after washing but they automatically un-stuff themselves in the washer) and all-in-twos. The all-in-two's are shell + snap-in cover.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

i love cloth diapering.  they are so much softer than disposables, i just feel like they are so much for comfortable for those little baby buns!  in terms of laundry, they really arent that bad; i have a bag for pee diapers and then soak the poopy diapers until they are ready to go in the washer.  easy peasy.  i use flips and they are awesome; just a shell and insert.  everything is adjustable for different sizes so she'll use the same ones til she's potty-trained.  also get flushable liners for the poop that just gets tossed in the toilet, very simple.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I'm not sure what you or your husband's experiences are with cloth diapering, but things have changed a lot.

When I heard people were doing this again, I had images of the big diaper pins and folding techniques I used with my little brother. That is not the same. The new systems seem much better.

The Young and the Restless resale shop does education on the subject and have resale and new items. https://www.ynrboutique.com/ You can go in and get your hands on the different systems.

I never got to finish my research on the subject. I know many people have a very successful time with it. Some just like it during infancy. Some find their babies do better with another solution, which is the ultimate vote.

• Options

My sister CDs (except when they travel) and loves it. She bought some newborn sizes on ebay and waits for sales on (I think it is) Kelly's Kids.

My SIL was planning on doing it for cost-savings and enviro reasons, until her certified enviro architect DH did some reasearch....they'd be spending just as much on energy/water costs for the laundry during the first year as they would have on disposables. Plus the cost of CDs, so.....

• Options

I love cloth diapering and I love not worrying about having to buy diapers or running out of diapers.

My DH loves CDing too! We use a diaper sprayer and we do laundry 2-3 times a week.

I use fitted with covers and AIO styles.

18 Months!! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagepook:

My SIL was planning on doing it for cost-savings and enviro reasons, until her certified enviro architect DH did some reasearch....they'd be spending just as much on energy/water costs for the laundry during the first year as they would have on disposables. Plus the cost of CDs, so.....

Our water bill went up, but I can't blame that completely on diapers. We do more laundry in general since Tracey was born, we also run the dishwasher more often. Before her we used it maybe once a week. I had rrr comparing monthly power bills from year to year. Sometimes they were up, sometimes they were down. It really depended more on the weather.

I only wash full loads, and I line dry as much as I can. I also spent very little money on diapers. Sure, it's easy to spend hundreds of dollars if you buy the most expensive kinds or lots of AIOs, but they're not the only way to go. I think I maybe spent full price for 2 diapers in 2 years. Others I bought as seconds, a few on craigslist, and got a whole stack of them for free via Harmony's psycho nanny.  I also will be able to reuse 95% of the diapers we have on another kid, and the only expense will be some repairs--many of which I can do myself. 

And of course it makes me feel better about not throwing away all that trash.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"