Health & Exercise

Running w/ stroller and a dog

Has anyone mastered the art of running with a stroller and dog?  I just got a stroller to take DS out jogging in and thought this morning that I'd take the dog with me too.  It ended up being a bad idea.  I feel bad going running without my dog though because she's a hyper active Siberian Husky.  Anyone found a balance with this?  DH refuses to run so trying to have him do one or the other is not going to work.

Re: Running w/ stroller and a dog

• I don't run with the stroller as much anymore, but when I did I'd put my dog on a running leash that goes around my waist. It kept my hands free for the stroller. Then he just ran on one side of the stroller.
  • imagecarlab44:
    I don't run with the stroller as much anymore, but when I did I'd put my dog on a running leash that goes around my waist. It kept my hands free for the stroller. Then he just ran on one side of the stroller.
    Hmmm...I have a Siberian Husky so I wonder if that would work for us with her pulling.
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have a training collar to help with pulling? I used to have to use a prong collar (tried the Gentle Leader but he HATED it - he would cower under the table when we brought it out). He's now 9 and we can use just a flat collar, but when I first started running with him I couldn't do it without the training collar.
  • I use a halti on my dog that likes to pull, it makes a huge difference.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecarlab44:
    Do you have a training collar to help with pulling? I used to have to use a prong collar (tried the Gentle Leader but he HATED it - he would cower under the table when we brought it out). He's now 9 and we can use just a flat collar, but when I first started running with him I couldn't do it without the training collar.
    We walk her with the gentle leader. I didn't know you could use it for running. I might try that.
  • imagecarlab44:
    Do you have a training collar to help with pulling? I used to have to use a prong collar (tried the Gentle Leader but he HATED it - he would cower under the table when we brought it out). He's now 9 and we can use just a flat collar, but when I first started running with him I couldn't do it without the training collar.
    We walk her with the gentle leader. I didn't know you could use it for running. I might try that.
  • Waist leash.  I have a good running dog though.  She doesn't pull much.
    imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say good for all of you guys who are able to do it! I can barely handle taking just one of my dogs with me on runs, and I know that I will not be taking her and LO with stroller, all at the same time, lol. There is a couple who I see running in the neighborhood quite a bit, and they run with stroller and dog, all together as a family unit. It is quite impressive!
    BabyFetus Tickerimage image
  • Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be trying out a waist leash. I feel bad leaving my pup behind when all she wants to do is run.
  • I usually hook the leash to the stroller and my dog runs beside it.  But she's really good with running on leash with the stroller.  Perhaps the waist leash will do.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"