February 2011 Moms
Options

Has anyone used Dayquil or Nightquil since pregnant?

My Dr's office is closed today, or I would ask them. I looked and it appears they have the same main ingredient as Tylenol. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else takes it to ease my mind.

Being pregnant and having the flu is the worst!!! :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anyone used Dayquil or Nightquil since pregnant?

• Options
    No It was not on my list of things i could take while sick. My list said i could take: Sudafed and Robitussin DM and Halls cough drops
  • Options
    My doc had the opposite belief. I had bronchitis and a double ear infection on NYE and I would have given anything for a shot of nyquil. When I got in to see my OB 2 days later (I went to urgent care and was prescribed a z pac) she told me nyquil would have been fine to take, as long as I wasn't taking it everyday. Feel better!!
    "Once I got a bath bomb that, once exploded, filled the tub with confetti. Little sharp metallic pieces of confetti. The product description said nothing about confetti. Oh look, there's a tiny, sharp metallic blue star stabbing me in the labia. HOW RELAXING. " - NoisyPenguin
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said it was not safe to take and recommended what the above poster suggested.  
  • Options

My doc says that Nyquil is a no no but I can take Tylenol Cold and Sinus.

I am having sinus trouble along with a sore throat and a mild fever. I have just been trying to take tylenol and I have been miserable! I feel your pain.

If I had the tylenol cold and sinus here in the house last night, I would have taken it. But I didn't want to send hubby out to get it. I took some benadryl and it helped with some drainage and I did get some sleep but it didn't do much for any of my other symptoms.

Hope that helps.

• Options
    I was in L&D the other day with blood pressure issues and also a bit of a cold and they told me to take Nyquil as long as it didn't have Sudafed in it (because Sudafed is bad for blood pressure).  I only took it once and it made a worlds difference.
  • Options

NO! it is not a safe medication to take during pregnancy

The ingredients in Nyquil that are generally thought to be bad for an unborn baby are alcohol and Dextromethorphan (DXM). These ingredients are, of course, safe for an adult, but a fetus could be affected by them. The effects of alcohol on an unborn baby are not fully known, but it has been shown that for some babies, even a small amount can cause developmental problems. It is best to avoid medications that contain alcohol. DXM is used to treat a cough. It is a powerful drug that sometimes causes harmful side effects such as dizziness, fever, vomiting and diarrhea. It could hurt an unborn baby if there were a reaction. The ingredients in Nyquil may also cause a rise in blood pressure. Since many pregnant woman already have an elevated blood pressure, taking a drug that raises blood pressure could be dangerous, for both mother and baby. 

• Options
    Basically, everyone is going to give you different advice. I'd call your doctor, who can give you better advice than us or wiki articles. I know you are probably feeling miserable and it really does suck. I hope you can get in contact with your doc and start to feel better soon!
    "Once I got a bath bomb that, once exploded, filled the tub with confetti. Little sharp metallic pieces of confetti. The product description said nothing about confetti. Oh look, there's a tiny, sharp metallic blue star stabbing me in the labia. HOW RELAXING. " - NoisyPenguin
  • Options

imagemuchmoresarah13:
    No It was not on my list of things i could take while sick. My list said i could take: Sudafed and Robitussin DM

This but make sure you get the Robitussin without alcohol.  

• Options
    call your on-call dr or pharmacist.  I was told it's a huge no no
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"