Pre-School and Daycare

XP from a lurker: LOs who wear glasses

I took DD to the eye doctor this morning because she has a slightly droopy eyelid and the pedi suggested we get it checked out.  The eye doc said it was ok for now and would not need treatment until it started to block her vision.  However, after an eye exam, we found out that she is slightly near sighted and has a stigmatism in both eyes...pretty bad in the right eye.  So we need to get her fitted for glasses to wear all of the time. 

Just looking for others with LOs who have to wear glasses.  Does your LO keep them on?  Any helpful hits about glasses in general would be greatly appreciated!

DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)

Re: XP from a lurker: LOs who wear glasses

• Honestly, it was harder for me to accept the glasses than it was for my DD.  My DD got hers almost a year ago (at 2.5yrs), and for the most part, she's worn them without any issue.  We made a sticker chart and for every day she wore them (for *most*  of the day), she'd get a sticker.  After 5 stickers, she got to pick a prezzie out at the Dollar Store.  It worked like a charm.  She takes them off if she cries, for nap, and usually after dinner - for the night.  We have to be proactive in making sure she puts them on, as she doesn't usually ask for them, but she will wear them if we put them on her.

Be prepared to take her to the eyeglass place a half dozen times to make sure the fit is correct. Always have something to clean them with, as snot, tears, food and other crap alwys ends up on them pretty much all.day.long.  Every time we go to the eye doctors, DD gets scoop of ice cream or a dessert somewhere special - as she HATES people messing with her eyes.  Bribery works in our house :)

Good luck!

And most importantly, make sure she knows how beautiful she is in her glasses.  My DD now pulls her glasses to the end of her nose and says "I know, mom!" every time I tell her. 

• DS got his glasses when he was about 18 months old and he NEVER kept them on. It was a battle every day and I would have literally had to sit there and put them back on his face every 2-3 minutes so we decided even though the doctor "insisted" he needed to wear them 24/7 that we wouldn't push the issue until he was old enough to understand that he needed to wear them and keep them on.

He is now almost 3 (in March) and has been wearing them consistently for about 6 months. He still pulls them off multiple times a day, but he usually ends up wearing them for a couple of hours before he messes with them and then we just put them back on.

DS is farsighted and I honestly don't think he needs them as often as the Ophthalmologist says he needs them, but I am no doctor. DS tends to keep his on when he is reading a book, playing with a toy, eating, etc. which makes sense since they help him see things up close. When he is running outside, watching TV from a distance, etc. he tends to pull them off which also makes sense since he is looking at something in the distance and he can see fine for distances. The jury is still out on the doctor's 24/7 prescription.

Jacob 3.23.08 * Grace 7.22.09 * Eli 7.26.11 * Annabelle 1.18.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"