Breastfeeding

would supplementing for JUST A FEW DAYS do anything?

we've EBF since day one, save the first 6 days when LO was in the NICU (he's fine now!) when nurses gave him formula...this may be the worst week schedule-wise since my parents are in town to help babysit while my husband and i do renovations on a house we just purchased.  if i'm leaving him w/my mom for HOURS each day, i don't think i have enough stored milk... i'm trying to pump more the last 5 days and taking fenugreek to hopefully handle the demand, but would it be sooooo bad to give LO a feeding a day of formula?   just this week? despite our kiddo being a chunkster, i always get the "you need to feed him more" from my mom.  (i plan to leave her w/specific instrux on bottles but i can just imagine she using more milk than asked)...i just don't want to run out, since i'll be away from him much of the next few days...(first time really, in 5 mos) 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: would supplementing for JUST A FEW DAYS do anything?

• It won't hurt him other than potentially give him gas or digestive discomfort. I'd be more worried about your mom trying to give him too much formula. I'd probably spoon out only the amount he'd need for the day in a baggie or something so she can't try to force feed him more than he needs.
  • I wouldn't sweat it. I supplemented from weeks 2-8 of DD's life, and she adjusted to Enfamil with zero problems.  At worst, he'll be gassy, but I'm sure your BM has made him gassy before, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would only supplement if it was an emergency.  I guess I just feel that strongly about BM.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekelleylk:
    I would only supplement if it was an emergency.  I guess I just feel that strongly about BM.

Mmm hmm.  Me too.

Daisypath Christmas tickers imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Missed miscarriage 12/26/11 at 12 weeks
  • thanks for the advice ladies!!! if i do it just this week, i'll premeasure (liquid kind) for her, so she doesn't over feed.  :)  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • This might be late, but...

If you supplement, it's imperative that you pump.  missing feeds is going to impact your supply, even if you do it for just a few days.  Formula or no, if you bottle feed, you need to be pumping.

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"