Trying to Get Pregnant

Odds of conception BEFORE O vs. Day of O?

Just curious if anyone knows the stats on this.

For example, if you had sex 3 times in your "fertile week" prior to O but on another cycle you just had sex 1 time but it was the day of O, are you always most likely to get pregnant on day of O? 

I realize this could be a dumb question b/c I know the odds are better the closer to O - but lets be honest, it would be pretty impressive if 90% of couples who conceived, did so on the day OF O. That's only 1 day a month! 

anyway, just curious if anyone read the statistics? 

Re: Odds of conception BEFORE O vs. Day of O?

• That's probably nearly impossible to determine with any reliable degree of accuracy, since most couples TTC have sex more than one day in the peak fertile period, and it would be impossible to tell which "session" led to conception - i.e., the sex from O day, or the sex from the day before.  Interesting though if they could somehow figure it out.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• This is just a total guess, but I'd imagine that sex the day BEFORE O is actually more effective. I have O pains, so say I feel them in the morning, and I'm ovulating then. If we have sex late that evening after I ovulated, there's a chance my egg died off, right? But if the sperm are already waiting there from sex the day before, that's good, right?

I could be totally off base, this has absolutely no medical substance behind it and is just me thinking out loud. In an ideal world, you'd have sex *both* days. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Hardly impossible to find out - that's what volunteer-participant research is for.  To control for these very variables. 

My best guess, given information I've read, is that your chances are greater (sorry, no percentage) in the days prior to ovulation, as the window of opportunity is larger (a few days) versus on the day of ovulation, when the sperm only have a short window (< 24hours) before the egg disintegrates. 

I would also be very interested in official stats if anyone has them...

Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • There was a chart I saw last time we were ttc that had probability of conception based on day of intercourse. The two days before o were the best and the day of was pretty low.
  • Yep, that was it.
  • imagekdodge423:

imageLambie.:
    There was a chart I saw last time we were ttc that had probability of conception based on day of intercourse. The two days before o were the best and the day of was pretty low.

Was it this one by chance?

And before someone asks, no you do not add the percentages. You average them. If you hit all 5 days, you have a 17% chance, which is right in line with the 20% that often gets cited.

Thanks for posting this - its very helpful.  

Due in January image imageimage
  • There was a recent thread about this on GP with a link to a few different studies/charts, if anyone wants further reading.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/47842232.aspx

• imagealison2379:

This is just a total guess, but I'd imagine that sex the day BEFORE O is actually more effective. I have O pains, so say I feel them in the morning, and I'm ovulating then. If we have sex late that evening after I ovulated, there's a chance my egg died off, right? But if the sperm are already waiting there from sex the day before, that's good, right?

I could be totally off base, this has absolutely no medical substance behind it and is just me thinking out loud. In an ideal world, you'd have sex *both* days. 

this is what I was thinking exactly.. I also think that I have read this somewhere too... not sure where, maybe FF?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"