Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Do you have questions?

Hi Ladies.. I am a pre school teacher, and mom to 10 month old twin boys :) They are napping, so Im checking out the pre school board.. If you have questions for an experienced teacher, ask away :)

Re: Do you have questions?

• Options

DS is 3yo.  (I too am a teacher, but 4th grade) DS goes to school with me and is in PreK for 3 years old. He is a young 3 (he barely made the cutoff with his august 31 bday). He currently can count to 20, he knows his alphabet by song and by rote, and knows all of his letters by sight (upper and lower) and he knows all of his colors and shapes.

I am using the Hooked on Phonics program for about 15 - 20 minutes at home but he seems to want to do a lot more. I dont feel that I should increase his time at 3 years old, but when I say its time to stop for the day, he usually gets upset and tries to replay the tapes or wants to read the books (he is not ready to read yet although we are working on sight words like a, an, the, of). My question is, is it okay to increase his time since he is showing interest or should I leave it alon?. I dont want to push him too hard.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow, this is great- I teach 4's and some of them came to me this year not knowing all their letters.  I agree that you really shouldnt push further, even if wants to. Does he know his letters when they are out of context? You can say things like "go find mommy an "h" .. See if he can go on a hunt around the house. Some sight words are good, but this is the order on which things should happen.

Recognize letters/numbers

Know the sounds of the letters

and then WRITING the letters/numbers. 

So if he knows all his letters and sounds, I would start to work on writing them. Something fun would be to buy a mini chalk board or white board. If you wanted to buy a program for writing, I suggest "handwriting without tears".. Its a great program. Also, if you need something else to work on, I would try to teach him how to write his name :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yea, he knows the letters out of context, we play the find me game all the time. The boys have black boards and chalk boards in their room. He writes his name already and if you tell him to write a letter, he can. He is left handed so his letters are sometimes backwards, but he knows how to write them and what they look like. He loves to write, it's quite funny. He just writes random letters then tell you what they are. So i guess he's right on track, I'll just try to keep it fun and I am glad to know that I am making the right decision by not letting him over do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"