New York Babies
Options

Surviving without laundry in the building?

Hi all,

My husband and I are expecting our first in May, and we're currently apartment hunting in the Park Slope area for a larger place. Problem is, so many of the apartments we see don't have laundry in the building. There are certainly laundromats nearby and pick up/drop off services within a block or so, but I just don't know how much of an inconvenience it will be to not have laundry available anytime I will need it. Do you know if it's possible to survive without it? Any tips? Thanks!

Cheers,

Melinda 

Re: Surviving without laundry in the building?

• Options

We live in Park Slope and it's great.  I was worried about the laundry thing too, as we had a house w/ a washer and dryer back in Oregon.  But I found laundry.bz and they pick up/drop off and it's great!  Sometimes I have to hand wash things that get gross when baby has a blow out, but that has only happened twice since October.  I let it dry and put it in with the rest of the laundry.

Honestly, I really enjoy not having to do my own laundry now, it's worth the extra $ to not want to kill people at the laundromat ;) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Fabulous. I've never used laundry.bz but it may soon be a staple! I see you can specify the type of detergent you want, too?have you ever done that? I'd like to use fragrance-free ones when the baby is a newborn. 

Thanks so much for the tip!

Cheers,

Melinda 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used a pick up/drop off service with my first son (almost 7) and it was exactly what I needed.  I did give my own detergent, and it was wonderful to have it all come back to me folded.  The laundry service and Fresh Direct were real life savers especially during the winter. 
    Mother to beautiful 7 year old son, and little girl born in July Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagewennerc:

Fabulous. I've never used laundry.bz but it may soon be a staple! I see you can specify the type of detergent you want, too?have you ever done that? I'd like to use fragrance-free ones when the baby is a newborn. 

Thanks so much for the tip!

Cheers,

Melinda 

Yep, I just say "unscented" and we haven't had a problem yet.  They even check the labels on things and wash them accordingly, like sweaters need to be hung to dry, etc.. I've actually had to ask them to dry a couple of things because my husband wanted it shrunk.  Once my daughters Wubbanub ( https://www.wubbanub.com/) got into the laundry and they washed it perfectly, which is good because it smelled awful.. hah.

• Options

Thanks for all the great info. Just one more question: If you don't mind my asking, approximately how much do you spend on laundry per week or per month? I'm just trying to get an idea for how much a service like this will cost with a baby. If you don't feel comfortable sharing, though, I totally understand!

Cheers,

Melinda 

• Options
    imagewennerc:

Thanks for all the great info. Just one more question: If you don't mind my asking, approximately how much do you spend on laundry per week or per month? I'm just trying to get an idea for how much a service like this will cost with a baby. If you don't feel comfortable sharing, though, I totally understand!

Cheers,

Melinda 

I have them come every 2 weeks and it's probably $50-70 each time, but it's so worth it to me.  The laundromat was about $6.50 PER LOAD.. and I usually have 3 or 4 big bags of laundry, as I think we go through more than most families :D 

• Options
    Great to know. Thank you so much for sharing, Joleine! 
  • Options

imagewennerc:
    Great to know. Thank you so much for sharing, Joleine! 

Sure thing! If you have any other  questions about Park Slope, let me know! I love it here!  Also, check out parkslopeparents.com :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"