August 2011 Moms

My dr says lunch meat is okay.

Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone is interested - my doctor's opinion was basically steer clear of too many hot dogs, bologna sandwiches etc, but turkey, ham, roast beef, etc are fine. She thought the rumors that subway is a no-no are ridiculous. 

Re: My dr says lunch meat is okay.

• That is awesome because all I want is a hoagie!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I KNOW!!!!! There was an element of "use common sense, don't eat anything that smells funky," but sure makes me feel better about eating so many subs in last 2 weeks. :/
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor told me those are ok to have, but she said just to make sure you get it hot if ordering out or nuke it in the microwave.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just think it's ridiculous how no one can agree on anything. I just went to my first appointment at the start of this week and they told me not to eat any lunch meat unless it was hot.

I'm sure my mom ate plenty of deli meat sandwiches when I was in-utero and I turned out just fine! I'm not gonna go crazy and eat nothing but bologna every day but if I want a hot dog, I'm gonna have one! Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You hit the nail on the head Duckieer!!
  • Both of my docs have said no way on the lunchmeat of any kind unless its heated up.  I'm not going to risk it.  They gave me a bunch of literature on various things and a few articles on the lunch meat/listeria issue.  Just be careful. 
  • imageDuckieer:

I just think it's ridiculous how no one can agree on anything. I just went to my first appointment at the start of this week and they told me not to eat any lunch meat unless it was hot.

I'm sure my mom ate plenty of deli meat sandwiches when I was in-utero and I turned out just fine! I'm not gonna go crazy and eat nothing but bologna every day but if I want a hot dog, I'm gonna have one! Smile

yes especially hot dogs from Ikea!!!! I LOVE those!

• imageKatielyn0427:
    Both of my docs have said no way on the lunchmeat of any kind unless its heated up.  I'm not going to risk it.  They gave me a bunch of literature on various things and a few articles on the lunch meat/listeria issue.  Just be careful. 

i agree 100%

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My doctor also said lunch meat is ok but I have to heat it BUT she also said I don't have to eat it hot. She said as long as I heat it to steaming at some point during the day that I"m going to eat it then it should be fine. So I can heat it in the morning and then eat it cold at lunch. I haven't had any yet but I"ll just do that. The thought of hot lunch meat makes me want to vomit but being able to eat it cold after heating it works for me. 
  • I read that you should avoid lunch meat that is sliced at a deli, because there may be bacteria on the slicing machines, however the lunch meat that you buy prepackaged like Hillshire Farm (in those zip lock containers with the red lids) should be ok because they are sliced on clean slicers. But who knows.

I have eaten a couple of ham sandwiches using the Hillshire Farm deli meat and so far so good. 

I have gotten BAD food poisening from regualr deli meat twice in the past 10 years, so I would personally just stay away.

• I found an article on it:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

yeah, listeria is very rare - but it does affect pregnant women at way higher rates and it sounds like it would be pretty scary. 

• imagechillyupnorth:
    I KNOW!!!!! There was an element of "use common sense, don't eat anything that smells funky," but sure makes me feel better about eating so many subs in last 2 weeks. :/

Personally I am going with this, exactly. I don't order from some backdoor gas stations, but omg turkey and cheese is just mouthwatering. I don't feel bad, either-I've never gotten sick from deli meat, and since my doc is ok with it, me and Baby 'Houla are good with it too.

Like other posters have said on here-if you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it. It's totally fine to NOT eat it, as well-no one has starved to death from lack of deli meat Wink

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagelincolngirl:

I found an article on it:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

yeah, listeria is very rare - but it does affect pregnant women at way higher rates and it sounds like it would be pretty scary. 

I think the confusion around lunch meat is that people think the warning against it is similar to no smoking or no alcohol.  If you eat bacteria-free lunch meat cold, of course it won't harm your baby.  The problem is - do you know, beyond a doubt, that it IS bacteria-free? 

The whole point here is that pregnant women are more susceptible to infection, and if heating up my lunch meat kills any potential bacteria, no matter how tiny the risk is that it's there, then I'm going to do it.  Just like I'm now more careful about washing my vegetables, and not eating raw egg.  Those things won't hurt the baby either - until you eat that one egg that slipped through with bad bacteria in it. 

I'm sorry, but the argument "my mom did so and so, and I turned out fine!!" doesn't really do it for me.  The reason we have advances in medical knowledge like this is specifcally because there were some women and babies who WEREN'T fine.  Personally, I appreciate the warnings and while I am in no way paranoid, I'm going to do everything I can to protect this little thing growing inside me.

imageimageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage
  • :::takes a bite of turkey deli sandwich::::

Man, this is GOOD!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I asked my doctor about the Hillshire Farm package deli meats and she said those are totally fine.  I think it's usually the kind that comes from the deli counter that's better to heat up first.  I've kind of gone off the deli meat, though, bc of the sodium.  I know a hummus and veggie sandwich won't satisfy that meat craving, but it's still tasty.
  • I am really pretty relaxed on most things..I have some caffeine in the a.m and I eat Feta cheese that comes in containers... but lunch meat is the ONE thing I fear.

My brother's friend caught listeria while pregnant with twins and the one twin didn't survive due to the listeria. She caught it from deli meat. My boss' sister passed away from listeria she caught when she was pregnant & it went to hear brain.

All I need is ONE horror story

• imagekellbranc:

I am really pretty relaxed on most things..I have some caffeine in the a.m and I eat Feta cheese that comes in containers... but lunch meat is the ONE thing I fear.

My brother's friend caught listeria while pregnant with twins and the one twin didn't survive due to the listeria. She caught it from deli meat. My boss' sister passed away from listeria she caught when she was pregnant & it went to hear brain.

I feel the same way even though I don't know anyone who had it!  Caffeine is fine to me since a little bit won't hurt you or the baby, but the risk of getting something so serious you lose your baby is too much.  I know it's so rare to get listeria, but I'd rather just cook my lunch meat than have to worry about it.

• imageCatahoulaMom:

Like other posters have said on here-if you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it. It's totally fine to NOT eat it, as well-no one has starved to death from lack of deli meat Wink

Exactly! Everyone's fears and phobias are different. Some people think that the occasional glass of wine is fine during pregnancy, some people don't wear seat belts, I, personally, would rather take my chances with lunch meat, and its not like I eat it every day.

• imagekellbranc:

I am really pretty relaxed on most things..I have some caffeine in the a.m and I eat Feta cheese that comes in containers... but lunch meat is the ONE thing I fear.

That is scary! That article I posted stated that 20% of the people who get listeria die. And I thought that the 5% of pregnant women with swine flu statistic was bad.

I am staying away from lunch meat. I could use a break from the same old lunch anyway.

• imageeesome:

:::takes a bite of turkey deli sandwich::::

Man, this is GOOD!

Smile

I had it twice this week.... YIKES~~

TTC#1 Since 9.09
    Unexplained IF
    IUI#1 + Clomid + Trigger= BFP!! EDD: 8/8/11
    DS#1 Born 8/11/11
    TTC#2
    BFP #2 3/1/12 Ended in M/C on 3/17/12 @ 7w
    11/12 IUI#1 + Clomid + Trigger= BFP, EDD: 8/18/13, Beta#1 (45), Beta #2 (265) Beta #3 (2545)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    S/PAIF/PAL ALWAYS WELCOME!!
  • My Doctor didn't say anything about what to avoid and not at all but this is nuts!

I've ate several deli sandwhiches since finding out. Some that I made at home using the packaged meat from the store and I actually just had a ham sandwhich from Jimmy John's for lunch today! It was awesome! 

TTC #1 since 7/10 Cycle 2 12/7/10 Diagnosed PCOS 12/17/10 BFP on CD 126 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just be careful ladies. I have been eating lunch meat this entire time and last week I got food poisoning off of a ham and swiss sandwich at a very reputable supermarket.

It was pure hell and very scary. You can bet I won't eat it again unless it is heated.

• Really? My doc specifically told me not to unless it's heated to steaming hot. She said the risk of Listeria is very small, but very real.

• imageK-hart:

Really? My doc specifically told me not to unless it's heated to steaming hot. She said the risk of Listeria is very small, but very real.

Yes, it is.  I can't imagine someone craving lunch meat so badly that they can't go without it for a few months, but the risk is very real.  My co-worker came in to school yesterday to visit from maternity leave.  She would have been due next week.  Instead, she launched into early labor on Thanksgiving weekend when she was out of town (about 8 weeks early).  After she gave birth, they did an exam on her and found that she had an infection due to listeria.  The doctor flat out asked if she had been eating lunch meat, which she had been a couple times a week at school.

She laughed it off yesterday Indifferent.  But that poor baby just came off oxygen a couple of weeks ago and hopefully down the road, she'll be fine developmentally.  No love of lunch meat is going to cause me to take a risk like that, no matter how small.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image84Lauren:

I'm sorry, but the argument "my mom did so and so, and I turned out fine!!" doesn't really do it for me.  The reason we have advances in medical knowledge like this is specifcally because there were some women and babies who WEREN'T fine.  Personally, I appreciate the warnings and while I am in no way paranoid, I'm going to do everything I can to protect this little thing growing inside me.

I agree with this.  I mean, many of our mothers and grandmothers smoked and drank...and you often hear the argument that their children were fine.  The risk of listeria (the concern with deli meat, hot dogs, etc) is very low, BUT I wouldn't want to take the chance.  I see it as informed choice...as long as we understand the potential risks, we have the option to eat deli meat or not.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"