School-Aged Children

Do you ever go have lunch with DC at school?

I haven't yet.   Thought about it but DD sometimes gets clingy when I try to leave and I am not sure about it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you ever go have lunch with DC at school?

• Wow, I'm surprised you're allowed to go have lunch at the school.  We are not allowed to just show up and eat lunch with the kids.  Is your children's school a public  or private school?
  • I think its a great idea.  We have lunch with our DD at least once a month at school.  She loves it.  The requirement at our school (its public) is that you be a volunteer (which means submitting to a background check).   Give it a shot and see how she does!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelittlemermaid:
    Wow, I'm surprised you're allowed to go have lunch at the school.  We are not allowed to just show up and eat lunch with the kids.  Is your children's school a public  or private school?

Public.  You do have to do a driver's license scan upon entering the school for anything. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, I do it when it's convenient.  Her school happens to be the opposite direction from our house and my work.  My husband andI try to go at least 2 or 3 times a year.  She loves it and likes to "show off" her parents.  Sometimes we'll bring her fast food too for a treat!  She goes to a public school.

I was surprised to hear that you are not allowed to just show up at school and eat lunch!  That is the total opposite of our school's policy as we are allowed to show up ANY time during the school day, with no notice, and spend time with our children.  Of course we check in with front desk but then they just give us a badge to wear that says "visitor" and we make our way to whatever classroom they are in at the time.  We are welcome to sit in on any classes and stay as long as we'd like.  Ellie has had me come to her music class before as her and I both love singing. 

That all being said, we are from Iowa and although it's a large public school, all of the grades K-12 are on our one campus (4 elementaries, one MS, one JH and one HS).  Most of the kids that go are from all the small towns surrounding the campus and we are nowhere near any kind crime areas (or any crime at all for that matter!).  I feel that all security measures that are needed are taken for our area.

• I haven't done it this year mainly because of logistics, but I did it several times last year and the year before.  I used to go on their birthdays but since having DS it makes it harder.  He does not like to sit still long and it's more of a distraction to have him there.  They love it when I come and I wish I could go more but having DS (18 months) makes it hard. 

DDs are in public school and you can come any time you would like to have lunch. You just have to sign in at the office.  

• All the time!
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • All the time, but DD1 goes to school with me for this year anyway.  Next year, it'll be a little difficult, but luckily our breaks are not in sync so I should be able to go once or twice a year at least. 

SN: I teach at a public school and parents are allowed to come whenever. They just have to sign in at the office first.  If they are going to volunteer, however they have to submit a background check.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I did when we were in Germany.  If I went on a field trip or volunteered in one of their rooms I would eat lunch with one of them.  A few times I would just walk up there to eat with one of them.  They loved it.  There it seemed like quite a few parents would go eat with their kids.

I haven't since we moved here in March.  They eat in their classroom (hate that!!) so it wouldn't be as easy to go sit with her to eat. 

• My older DD's school has a mom's lunch and a dad's lunch.  That's the only time I've gone to eat with them.  We can do it but no one really does (except maybe on the kid's birthday). 
  • I have had lunch with DD several times. The teachers encouraged it at the beginning of the year. Its the only time we are 'allowed' to just drop by. The school stays locked and you buzz the office and they let you in the building, sign in as a visitor or volunteer and then go about your business. 

About the clingy... she starts getting like that right at the end, but I just remind her that I can't stay for her class room and head out before they leave the cafeteria. But you are totally treated like a rock star by all the other kids! Its too cute. Plus add the fact that I bring along my 3 year old and 6 month old, and all the kids just ooh and aww over you. I think it definitely makes her feel extra special when I visit. 

I live right next to the school too, so it makes it much easier! 

• imageDandelionMom:
    My older DD's school has a mom's lunch and a dad's lunch.  That's the only time I've gone to eat with them.  We can do it but no one really does (except maybe on the kid's birthday). 

DD's school does that but for breakfast.  They have a "muffins with mom" and "donuts with dad."   I went to that.

DD has a summer bday, so I can't go then. 

• yes! I go usually once a month (public school) to both DD's schools to eat. They LOVE it, even my 7th grader. I also sub too so if I happen to be subbing at one of their schools I pop in & eat with them too if, the schedule allows.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"