Parenting
Options

Is this irrational?

8e honest, I can take it Wink

We eat all of our meals in the dining room as a family. The ta8le that I have now is really not my style at all and I would like to get something to replace it. 8ecause my kids are so young, I don't want to invest in something super expensive 8ecause it is going to get very used. My dining room is quite small, is long and skinny. I was thinking a8out getting a glass top ta8le to kind of open up the space instead of having a huge piece of furniture in the middle that just weighs the room down.

So, here is my question, I have this fear of my kids running into the edge of the glass top ta8le and getting severely injured, the ta8le 8reaking and them getting cut up. This is a completely irrational fear right? I mean, they have just as much chance of running into the edge of a wood ta8le right? Or would the damage really 8e worse if they were to run into the glass ta8le?

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45

Re: Is this irrational?

• Options
    I don't think it's irrational. I'd be more wary of glass than wood and don't think I'd have ANY glass-topped tables with young kids in the house.
  • Options
    nope I dont think its irrational at all.
    Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't imagine that the glass would break but I'd imagine that the kids would get pretty banged up by it.  You could just make sure that the one you chose has rounded edges.

I will say that I used to have a glass coffee table and got rid of it after the kids came along.  Not because of them getting hurt on it but because it was ALWAYS dirty.  I'd clean it and not a minute later it would get smudgy with fingerprints again.  I'm a little anal about stuff like that and it drove me insane to the point of donating it.

I was the BEST mom....until I became a mother. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not irrational at all.  I had a friend in college who was injured by a glass table when he was a toddler.  He had an awful scar and had some damage to his eye.  :(
  • Options

imageCleoKitty:
    I don't think it's irrational. I'd be more wary of glass than wood and don't think I'd have ANY glass-topped tables with young kids in the house.

This.

And, I deserve credit for those 8s.   LOL! 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I don't think that is irrational at all.  I would not have a glass topped table with younger children either.  I agree with the pp that it would get dirty fast and I would just be too nervous about the "what ifs" with the glass.
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • Options
    I'd never have a glass top because I'd hate to clean it. Just one more thing that is always dirty.  And yes, I'd be petrified of it being shattered on a child. My parents have a glass coffee table in their formal living room, and I really can't stand it. We were their on Christmas and I to constantly re-direct both kids so they wouldn't do a header into it.
    DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • Options

We had a glass coffee table BEFORE kids and it was literally always dirty. Don't recommend.

(We also had one when I lived in Chicago after college and it actually did fall and break...so it's not unlikely to happen). 

• Options
    We have a glass topped table in our kitchen.  It is the table we eat at every day.  We've had it since before the kids and I love how it looks.  I think it really opens the space.  It is a round table, so no pointy corners to worry about.  Neither of my kids have gotten hurt running into it and I think it would take something crazy to shatter it.  It's a very heavy, think piece of glass.  I say go for it as long as you get a round table.
    Lucy 12.18.06, Will 6.21.09 & Adeline 11.2.11
  • Options

I wouldn't have one, ever. We had one when I was growing up, and that thing NEVER looked clean. Fingerprints, smears, dust, all of it shows. Maybe if it were in a dining room that is used 4x a year, but as a family table with little kids? I would be miserable.

And I would be concerned about safety with little ones, too.

AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    Can you paint the table you have to make it more your style?
    DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
    imageimage
  • Options

It is NOT an irrational fear.  My sister had a glass topped breakfast table for years.  It was a pretty expensive one, as well, not something with cheap glass.  A couple of months ago, her husband was simply getting up from his chair.  He pushed himself up by placing his hands on the glass top and the top shattered.  I'm not 100% sure of the details because during the telling, I had to leave the room because it was too upsetting, but his arm went through the glass, and he was cut badly.  It hit a major blood vessel and required major surgery to stop the blood flow and save his life.  The stitches looked horrific.  She took pictures of the breakfast room afterwards.  I didn't want to look at them, but H said the whole room was covered in blood, like something out of a horror movie.  My sister said his arm was geysering blood like a fire hydrant, and SHE nearly died from a heart attack.

I would never have glass furniture, kids or not. 

ETA: She didn't literally have a heart attack. You know what I mean.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"