Iowa Babies

Intro--and crunchy birth q's

Hi ladies! Even though I'm not technically an Iowan at the moment, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm an Iowa girl/Drake grad living in DFW at the moment, but DH and I are in the process of selling our house and buying a new one in DSM. I am dying to get back up there! I just had DD in October, so it's not an urgent matter, but I have a couple baby-related questions:

1. Do you know of natural birth-supportive providers or facilities?  I had a natural hospital birth here but it was difficult to pull off. Any experience with the Iowa Health midwifery practice? What about a birth center? Or a NB-supportive OB? I read the PP about the OB who does VBAC--would she be a good choice?

2. Do you think there's a healthy market for Bradley classes in DSM? I know of at least one other teacher in town, but I'd like to get certified if there are plenty of couples looking for it.

I was in a pretty different place in life when I left Iowa so this feels like starting over, even though I've only been gone 5 years. I'd love to hear your experiences! 

Thanks girls--looking forward to GTKY! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Intro--and crunchy birth q's

• I'm from Ames, so not too far away.  I can't give specifics of DSM, but I can tell you that Mary Greeley in Ames does provide natural hospital births -- the OB practice that is associated with the hospital has an equal number of OB's and midwives.  All practice within the hospital setting, so it is easy to write a birth plan for natural birth there.  I believe that there is a birth center in Des Moines that is primarily midwives that perform many water births.  

As far as Bradley classes, I have seen a few here and there.  I wouldn't say that there is a huge desire for them, but they do exist.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"