Health & Exercise
Options

Getting back into a work-out routine, but TTC.

I am not yet pregnant, but TTC.  I enjoy working out, but I have to admit that I do not work-out on a regular basis and have been on and off again for a long time now, especially since I meet my husband.  I have never been a skinny person, but average.

Anyway, are there any ladies out there like me that started a work-out routine when they were pregnant that were not regular work-out people to begin with? I want to get in shape, I know that I will not be able to work-out hard core since I am not in the best shape now and I am TTC.  What kind of work outs did you do while preggnant?  Walking, arm weights, different videos, etc?

Re: Getting back into a work-out routine, but TTC.

• Options

I'm not a hardcore athlete, but I started working out pre-TTC and have carried it through. Do what you enjoy. I lift weights (and not just arms, legs and core too. A strong back and core would be my #1 recommendation to focus on for you), walk outside, ride the stationary bike, swim, and take a yoga class. It sounds like a lot... but it's mostly 20-30 minutes a day.

You can't guess how long it will take you to get pg, so I'd just focus on getting stronger and more fit day by day. It will do you good whenever you get pregnant.

• Options
    imageaWm2010:

I am not yet pregnant, but TTC.  I enjoy working out, but I have to admit that I do not work-out on a regular basis and have been on and off again for a long time now, especially since I meet my husband.  I have never been a skinny person, but average.

Anyway, are there any ladies out there like me that started a work-out routine when they were pregnant that were not regular work-out people to begin with? I want to get in shape, I know that I will not be able to work-out hard core since I am not in the best shape now and I am TTC.  What kind of work outs did you do while preggnant?  Walking, arm weights, different videos, etc?

i can relate...totally!  i was always average, and never worked out, but then i gained a LOT of weight with each of my pregnancies.  i was able lose most of it in little "health-bursts", but i've never been good at keeping it off...because i've never been good at sticking to a workout regime.  i would go through cycles of working out, losing weight, then getting lazy again and gaining a little back, then getting back on the healthy-kick and losing a little more, etc.

i'm TTC, too, and i just started working out a few weeks ago.  I've been using the "Biggest Loser" workout game for our xbox360 kinect.  so far it's been a mixture of cardio, boxing, and yoga.  i'm not using weights right now, (but i could if i wanted to)  i simply LOVE it, and it's the kind of workout that makes you sweat, but paces you so that you don't feel like giving up!!  and it's just like having a personal trainer, because if i feel tired and stop, the game calls me out on it, and i lose points!

i've also read that working out daily during pregnancy actually helps the fetus have a faster metabolism, and keep that faster metabolism throughout their life.  it also increases the chances of an easier delivery and quicker recovery.  so, when i get that BFP, i'm going to use the baby as incentive to force myself to keep working out every day!

good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    newest addition: Ender Greyson!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I disagree with the statement that you can't workout hardcore because you are ttc. My husband and I bought a rowing machine 2 days before we found out I was pregnant because we wanted to train for a dragon boat race, and I used the rower quite a bit, just not at the same intensity I would have normally.

I'm also ttc and I am working out as much as I can right now because it will make me feel better in the long run and will (hopefully) help me to have an easy pregnancy. There really is no point in exercising if you are doing little to try and break a sweat, unless you are recovering from some sort of medical condition, or are seriously overweight (from your description, that doesn't seem to be the case).

So find something you love, and do it as much as you can. Go hard or go home! Good luck! :) 

motivationisoverrated.com
  • Options
    imageLaraGaudess:

I disagree with the statement that you can't workout hardcore because you are ttc. My husband and I bought a rowing machine 2 days before we found out I was pregnant because we wanted to train for a dragon boat race, and I used the rower quite a bit, just not at the same intensity I would have normally.

I'm also ttc and I am working out as much as I can right now because it will make me feel better in the long run and will (hopefully) help me to have an easy pregnancy. There really is no point in exercising if you are doing little to try and break a sweat, unless you are recovering from some sort of medical condition, or are seriously overweight (from your description, that doesn't seem to be the case).

So find something you love, and do it as much as you can. Go hard or go home! Good luck! :) 

I think we have different definitions of "hardcore". No one was saying go for a stroll around the block and go home. Beginners simply need to accept that they are beginners not to hurt themselves. Fitness is a process you need to work into.

• Options
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageLaraGaudess:

I think we have different definitions of "hardcore". No one was saying go for a stroll around the block and go home. Beginners simply need to accept that they are beginners not to hurt themselves. Fitness is a process you need to work into.

I absolutely agree with you! I guess it's just that in my experience personal training, people will come up with some of the strangest excuses not to exercise. I'm not implying that's what is happening here, it's just something I've noticed as a trainer. I guess that's why I don't train people anymore, can't stand the shaggy dog stories:) There are other reasons as well, but I won't get into that.

OP, as long as you are using correct form, your heart rate is up (and you can still function), and you are breaking a sweat, you will be just fine. Consistency is king! :) 

motivationisoverrated.com
  • Options
    While I was pregnant I tried to keep work out routing going. I really think it helped me in long end. I had been working out about 4 to 5 days a week before concieving and I really tried to make sure I did something while pregnant atleast 2 days a week. When I was about 5 months along, I found Denise Austins Fit and Firm Pregnancy workout DVD. Even though she can be totally annoying at times, I ate it up because she kept saying I was doing good things for me and my baby, blah, blah, blah. There is a cardio portion that is light enough for when you are farther along, and there is a portion for weight lifting for different trimesters. I found it really helpful. The cardio part I was doing twice a day during my last week of pregnancy. I also found it nice to use for starting my work out routine back up after labor. It was easy enough to do. Good luck!
  • Options
    I started getting hardcore about working out about a month or two before I got pregnant this time. I wasn't TTC and didn't even find out I was pregnant until 7 weeks, so I worked out just the same all the way to that point. I was doing some running, weekly pilates and yoga classes, and weight training. It is SO good to get into a good fitness habit before you are pregnant because it is really important to continue that through pregnancy. I took about a month off because I was throwing up daily, but now I'm back to pretty much everything I did before - cardio, weight training, yoga. I don't go to pilates anymore though because the entire class was laying down on my back which wasn't comfortable anymore.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all of your input! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"