Multiples

daycare cut DD's hair... WWYD?

We don't know yet what happened, but someone at the DC center where the babies go cut DD's hair. They didn't notify us or anything-- I think they thought we wouldn't notice. We are both furious that a) they would cut her hair without asking and b) they wouldn't tell us about it. Are we overreacting? Would you be ticked off if they cut your baby's hair? We were thinking about asking to meet with the center director tomorrow (about this and some other things)-- should we?

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure

Re: daycare cut DD's hair... WWYD?

• That is ridiculous! I would LOSE IT! Then again, I'm a total control freak when it comes to my LOs. But I think you have every right to be EXTREMELY upset about this. I would absolutely meet with someone to discuss this. Who knows what else they would do without your permission?!?! GL.
  • I would be furious! Even if something was stuck in it and they needed to cut it to get it out, they should have called you first.

It is a crime for someone to walk up to you and cut your hair without your permission. What they did is in the same vein - milder perhaps, but still wrong. They touched your baby in a way that you did not authorize and was not in the scope of their role as a day care provider. I would definitely meet with the director.

• Loading the player...
  • Do you think a teacher did it or do you think one of the children may have done it? Regardless, you should have been informed as to why it was cut. If a teacher did it, it is definitely something that needs to be discussed, as that is not their place to do it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WHAT?!?!?  (That was my reaction after reading the title of your post) ; )

Do you mean that the adults at the DC cut her hair, or another child did?  I'd definitely at least want to know what happened, and I'm surprised nothing was said right away. 

~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • Like, they gave her some kicky bangs or they had to cut something out? Either way, what a strange thing to do.  I don't know that I'd be all, "you touched my baby inappropriately!!", but I'd for sure want to know the story.
  • imagemrsbaker1128:
    Do you think a teacher did it or do you think one of the children may have done it?
    It would have to have been a teacher. They are in a room with kids 6-12 months old, so I'm pretty sure they don't have scissors around. They keep the older kids separate.
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • We only kenneled our dog once, and I lost my sh!t because they gave her a vaccine booster they thought would be "beneficial" without my permission. (It wasn't needed or required for boarding.)

If someone laid a hand on my child like that, I would pull them out unless they had a damn good reason. 

• Did she maybe get something stuck in it?  I would want to know the reason before I flipped out on them.  There may be a perfectly logical reason for why they did it. 

While it is absolutely wrong that they did it without telling you, it is just hair and will grow back.  I'd make sure I got a good explanation before going off on them though.

But yes, definitely ask about it.   

• It's just hair so it will grow back.  My issue is that they're taking your role as a parent.  Their job isn't even to brush her hair, so that's totally inappropriate.  If something was stuck, then I think you should've been notified, but not a big deal.  If they just thought it would be a good idea to cut her hair, then I would have a fit.  Definitely not overreacting IMO.
  • I would be LIVID! Regardless of how it happen (the teacher or another child) you should have been notified! I would be getting the whole story, what happened, who did it, why they felt the need to cut it (was there gum/glue in it) and then go from there. Def. talk to the director, is there video footage that you can both watch? Personally, I would be pulling my kids out because if they didn't tell you about this, what else are they not telling you?
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'd be annoyed the daycare didn't let me know. I wouldn't be "pulling kids out of daycare and watching video footage", but that's just me. Don't make any knee-jerk reactions until you know what happened. Just discuss it with them. Let them know you would like to be informed if something similar happens next time.
  • I would be PISSED. The fact that they felt it was okay for this to happen without speaking to you is bullcrap. If something had to be cut out or if it was necessary to cut it, fine. But if they didn't call me about it I would be really mad.

I'd be afraid of what goes on there that you are not informed of if they can't even inform you regarding hair. yes it's hair and it will grow back, but it wasn't their place to cut it without speaking to you.

• I would be pissed. They have no reason to cut her hair. Even if something was stuck in it, cutting it should be a last resort. What could have gotten stuck in her hair that would require they cut it? It's a baby room, it's not like there should be gum or something like that around. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd be furious. Definitely check with them and see what the deal is. 
  • I would absolutely request a meeting with the director to discuss:

A) What happened, exactly?  It sounds sketchy to me that a child would require a haircut in a 6-12 mo classroom.  Older kids I could understand with the sticking thing, but a baby?

B) Why you weren't asked or notified.

C) How the director/staff will ensure that this never happens again.

• Ohhhh I would have flipped. I'm angry FOR you.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I would be pissed for sure.

Even best-case scenario, it's a violation of your trust and an abuse of their role. And I'm with the pps who questioned what they may not be telling you. This may sound inflammatory, but hair has religious significance in some cultures. While it grows back and all that, hair is a very personal thing. I can see how it feels violating. 

Sounds like you may be having some other issues with them. Definitely bring it up with the director.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Gratuitous Overshare Blog image
  • I would be meeting with the director RIGHT AWAY.

there is never a reason for a teacher to think it's OK to cut a child's hair - NEVER. Even if some strange way gum was stuck in a child's hair- they should call a parent and ask what to do... you just do NOT CUT  A CHILD'S HAIR that is not yours! WTF??

I'd be LIVID and probably seriously consider leaving the daycare b/c of that alone... if someone working there is so stupid to think that is OK  - that would have me lose all trust. 

I used to work in a daycare and was a teacher - so i'm coming from the "inside opinion" and can say that is just disgusting.

• Why on earth would they do that or even think they had the right to do that??? I'd be ripsh!t mad. I think a talk with the director is definitely in order.
  • No you are not overreacting. Please give them an education, this person wasn't thinking! Some families (and I know we are a rarity) consider haircutting ceremonial. My DH will be the first to cut my son's locks around his third birthday. And then the rest of the family will have the great joy of cutting a lock and introducing my son to boyhood. It is my son's birthright, and my DH's honor. I would be beside myself (and probably in tears) if this happened to us-and I don't fly off the handle easily.

Around the world ceremonial haircutting is not unusual.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • You are not over reacting at all.  I would totally meet with someone to discuss.  The only thing I could possibly understand is if another child cut a chunk of her hair....even at that you as the parent deserve to be told about it.

TTC #1 since November 2007 Dx-Unexplained Infertility 10/08 Clomid and TI #1=BFN 11/08 Clomid and TI#2=BFP...Twins, MC due to ectopic 5/09 Clomid and TI#3=BFN 6/09 IUI and clomid #1=BFN 8/09 Lap=No Endo 10/09 IUI + Repronex + Pregnyl = BFN 09/10 IVF #1. Repronex, ganorelix and pregnyl=BFP!! Beta #1 10/1/10 450 Beta #2 10/7/10 over 5,000 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As someone who has nannied and worked at a daycare-type place... That's awful!!! Even if you're child had something stuck in her hair we would have always tried every other method and then called before we cut their hair!! In fact, I did have a little girl that I sent home with gum in her hair because the mom didn't want it cut out, so we left it for the parents. Why would anyone cut hair on a 6-9month old!??? I'm livid and it's not even my child!! 
  • I was a nanny for a family right before I got pregnant. The baby boy's hair grew crazy fast, and I knew mommy was waiting for 1 year to give him his official first hair cut, but he ALWAYS had hair in his eyes. So I got her permission, (mind you this is after knowing them for a year), to trim just what was getting wild and in his eyes. I also gave this little boy his baths and cut his nails, so that mommy could just enjoy the little time she had with him at night. I would expect the same courtesy from anyone in contact with my children including their grandmother who is their only current babysitter! I would be heated if someone did that to my girls w/o permission, even family!
  • My biggest concern, after getting over the ordeal, would be...

If they don't tell you about that, what else goes on that they don't tell anyone about?

• They'd be getting a Very Serious Letter on my professional letterhead, with a CC to the state licensing department.  There is no reason to do something like that without consulting me.  If someone did that to an adult, it would be battery.  Why should it be any different for a child?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"