Trying to Get Pregnant

Heavy periods/blood clots

Good morning ladies! I went to see my doctor last month because my periods have been very heavy (like, go through a super tampon in a half hour type heavy), and I get lots of blood clots. She sent me to get an ultrasound and have bloodwork done. I just got the results back last week and everything looks normal- no fibroids, ovaries look healthy, uterus lining looks healthy, no issues with thyroid in my bloodwork, etc. But she said that the heavy blood flow I have is not normal. Her suggestion was to just to take vitamins because she doesn't want me to become anemic. MH and I were a little concerned at that response, because she admitted that what I'm experiencing is not healthy, but did not recommend any further testing to see what the problem is. Is this a valid concern?

Have any of you seen a doctor regarding this? Would you push back a little bit on the response that I got? And if so, any ideas on what tests and other questions I should be asking her about?

Re: Heavy periods/blood clots

• I have extremely heavy/clotty periods. My doctor hasn't said anything about it being bad. I usually go through a tampon every hour for the first few days (I use super strength). I noticed when I was going to the gym 3 times a week my period became a lot more manageable... I hope this helps. I'm sorry, I know it really sucks.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• When I get my periods they are like this too!!  The first 2 days I can't wear a tampon at all!  And I have big clots too!  Maybe TMI but I get the feeling to push out the clots sometimes.  My RE suspects that I may have endometriosis.  He said that he can't know for sure unless I have laparoscopic surgery.  Have you ever discussed this with your doctor?
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedoozer1345:
    I have extremely heavy/clotty periods. My doctor hasn't said anything about it being bad. I usually go through a tampon every hour for the first few days (I use super strength). I noticed when I was going to the gym 3 times a week my period became a lot more manageable... I hope this helps. I'm sorry, I know it really sucks.

Ok, that's comforting. I don't mind just dealing with it. I'm at cycle 10 already, so I just want to make sure I'm covering my bases and asking the right questions if I have the opportunity to. Exercising is a good idea though. I am actually starting in on my exercise plan for the new year tomorrow, so we'll see if that helps me out if/when the next period comes. Thanks for chiming in! :)

• Do you have any other symptoms (non gyn related) besides extremely heavy periods?  Perhaps you could consider seeing a hematologist.  Before I started BCP, I had several very heavy periods.  BCPs stopped them, but obviously, you're not going there.  My bloodwork showed a low platelet count and a hematologist later found out I have an anti-platelet antibody and diagnosed me with ITP.  I remeber going for regular blood tests and a liver/spleen scan. I also took a vitamin and extra vitamin K.

While on BCP and since stopping 5 months ago, my blood counts have been normal, though I noticed my last period was heavier than usual.   Maybe there are other things a hematologist could test for that this doctor didn't consider.

Also, I've heard anecdotal evidence on this board of POM juice and heavy periods.  Any chance you've been drinking an obscene amount?

Sorry you're going through this.  Good luck.

• imageJ_LYN1011:
    When I get my periods they are like this too!!  The first 2 days I can't wear a tampon at all!  And I have big clots too!  Maybe TMI but I get the feeling to push out the clots sometimes.  My RE suspects that I may have endometriosis.  He said that he can't know for sure unless I have laparoscopic surgery.  Have you ever discussed this with your doctor?

I agree with the endometriosis check. My doc thought I may have had it, but when I had my laproscopy he said I didn't have any anywhere. It may be a good thing to at least ask your doc of the possibility. Another symtom of it is painful sex.

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• imageJ_LYN1011:
    When I get my periods they are like this too!!  The first 2 days I can't wear a tampon at all!  And I have big clots too!  Maybe TMI but I get the feeling to push out the clots sometimes.  My RE suspects that I may have endometriosis.  He said that he can't know for sure unless I have laparoscopic surgery.  Have you ever discussed this with your doctor?

I get your TMI. That happened to me a few times this weekend. bleh. From what I understand of endometriosis, I don't have any of the other symptoms besides a heavy period. Even then, I'm heavy, but do not have long periods. So I would be hesitent about a laparoscopy. hmm...

• I could have written this post myself. Super heavy periods, big clots (I even took photos of them!!!) and got the answer that there was nothing wrong.

I had a transvaginal u/s, no fibroids or polyps causing problems. Hormone levels came back ok, normal pap.

My cycles are usually around 35 days but sometimes I skip and have a super long cycle. Once in a while I have a light cycle and if that happens, the next one is HORRIBLE. 

DH says the bathroom looks like a crime scene when I am on my period (he comes in sometimes when I use the restroom). I can't use tampons anymore because the clots are so freaking large. I basically use post partum pads (mama cloth and natracare brand) because regular pads will leak way too quickly. It hinders my life because I have to change pads so frequently. 

I am sorry you are going through that. At least you are not alone. At least I am not alone. I had been the only one I have heard of that has been going through this. My friends don't get it.

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imageannelise k:

Do you have any other symptoms (non gyn related) besides extremely heavy periods?  Perhaps you could consider seeing a hematologist.  Before I started BCP, I had several very heavy periods.  BCPs stopped them, but obviously, you're not going there.  My bloodwork showed a low platelet count and a hematologist later found out I have an anti-platelet antibody and diagnosed me with ITP.  I remeber going for regular blood tests and a liver/spleen scan. I also took a vitamin and extra vitamin K.

While on BCP and since stopping 5 months ago, my blood counts have been normal, though I noticed my last period was heavier than usual.   Maybe there are other things a hematologist could test for that this doctor didn't consider.

Also, I've heard anecdotal evidence on this board of POM juice and heavy periods.  Any chance you've been drinking an obscene amount?

Sorry you're going through this.  Good luck.

No, I don't have any other symptoms besides the heavy period. My doctor also mentioned the BCP, but yeah, I'm definitely not going there. lol.

That's funny that you mention POM. I started drinking it shortly after getting off the pill, and noticed that my periods were really heavy so I stopped. Looking back, I think that the heavy flows started after the pill, not as a result of the POM. But I was only on BC for 8 months, so I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I actually have a very textbook cycles other than the heavy flow.

• imagedoozer1345:

imageJ_LYN1011:

I agree with the endometriosis check. My doc thought I may have had it, but when I had my laproscopy he said I didn't have any anywhere. It may be a good thing to at least ask your doc of the possibility. Another symtom of it is painful sex.

Interesting...hmm...maybe I will have to ask her about that after all. Tongue Tied I don't have any pain though. Although, I just looked at a website that says pain is not a definite indicator, so I guess it's possible to have endo without that symptom.

• imagegoodgalpal:

I could have written this post myself. Super heavy periods, big clots (I even took photos of them!!!) and got the answer that there was nothing wrong.

I had a transvaginal u/s, no fibroids or polyps causing problems. Hormone levels came back ok, normal pap.

My cycles are usually around 35 days but sometimes I skip and have a super long cycle. Once in a while I have a light cycle and if that happens, the next one is HORRIBLE. 

DH says the bathroom looks like a crime scene when I am on my period (he comes in sometimes when I use the restroom). I can't use tampons anymore because the clots are so freaking large. I basically use post partum pads (mama cloth and natracare brand) because regular pads will leak way too quickly. It hinders my life because I have to change pads so frequently. 

I am sorry you are going through that. At least you are not alone. At least I am not alone. I had been the only one I have heard of that has been going through this. My friends don't get it.

Oh no! That sounds miserable. Have you considered using Instead Cups? I have been using those over the last few cycles and they have been much easier to deal with than changing my tampons out all the time. It takes a bit of getting used to, but in my opinion, way better than pads. I feel cleaner because it's internal, so there's not a mess until you take it out, and you can keep them in for much longer than tampons or pads. You might want to give them a shot.

• Do you have any family history of endo?  It is considered a hereditary disease.  My Mom had it and that's part of the reason my doc is suspicious. 

• I also could have written this post...HEAVY periods, HUGE blood clots (golf ball to baseball sized and horrible cramps, and like you, the OBGYN did an ultrasound and pap.  I did have a 1 cm fibroid, but the pap was normal.  All the OB recommended were BCP, which I cannot take because they give me blood clots. (AND we are trying to have a baby, hello!)

Things I have tried and have had somewhat success with are the prenatal vitamins. For the first couple of months TTC, I took them religiously everyday.  I noticed lighter periods, but my O days were really late causing my cycle to be long.  I am now only taking the Prenatals after I O.  I have not been having as large of clots this way.

I also try to walk everyday.  Exercise helps the period from being as heavy.  I hope this helps in at least knowing you are most definitely not alone.  I am dealing with this right now as I type.  The cramps are pretty bad and I am debating leaving work to go home and wrap myself with a heating pad!  I have not been very good with the walking since it has gotten cold!  Good Luck!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageansulak:

I also could have written this post...HEAVY periods, HUGE blood clots (golf ball to baseball sized and horrible cramps, and like you, the OBGYN did an ultrasound and pap.  I did have a 1 cm fibroid, but the pap was normal.  All the OB recommended were BCP, which I cannot take because they give me blood clots. (AND we are trying to have a baby, hello!)

Things I have tried and have had somewhat success with are the prenatal vitamins. For the first couple of months TTC, I took them religiously everyday.  I noticed lighter periods, but my O days were really late causing my cycle to be long.  I am now only taking the Prenatals after I O.  I have not been having as large of clots this way.

I also try to walk everyday.  Exercise helps the period from being as heavy.  I hope this helps in at least knowing you are most definitely not alone.  I am dealing with this right now as I type.  The cramps are pretty bad and I am debating leaving work to go home and wrap myself with a heating pad!  I have not been very good with the walking since it has gotten cold!  Good Luck!!!

Well it sounds like exercise has helped a couple of you, so hopefully that will help me as well. Bring on the zumba! :)

Hope you feel better Ansulak!

• imageJ_LYN1011:

Do you have any family history of endo?  It is considered a hereditary disease.  My Mom had it and that's part of the reason my doc is suspicious. 

Nope, not that I know of.

• I used to get AWFUL heavy periods when I was younger. To the point where I would miss a day of school, or go home early from school or work. I would wear a super tampon AND a pad and end up leaking through, and I'd be going through a super every half hour/hour or so.

I told my doctor about it and she never seemed concerned, I went on the pill (Yaz) and it got a little better but my periods were always 2 weeks long, switched to Loestrin 24 FE and my periods almost disappeared completely.

I'm just finishing my 2nd post-bc AF, and both haven't been more than a medium flow (still a bunch of clots) but I did recently find out I'm anemic.

The only thing my doctor ever suggested was that I go on the pill, but since that's out of the question right now I guess the most you can do without further testing is stick to prenatals, and drink lots of water. & Exercise since some ladies are saying it helps.

• imagegoodgalpal:

Wow, you just described my life from ages 12 to 18! I would have periods that lasted 12 days on average, and they were so heavy that I'd layer 2 pads (one on top of the other) with a tampon, and I'd still leak through in under 2 hours. I completely concur with the life-hinderence! I used BC off and on for 2 years while I was engaged, and that completely changed everything for me. Even once I stopped using the pill, my periods have never been longer than 5 days, and the flow is always extremely light.

Married 5/16/2010.
    Began TTC 12/1/2010.
    BFP #1: 2/2/11. EDD 10/11/11. Chemical Pregnancy 2/5/11.
    Dx PCOS 7/2011. Dx "Unexplained Infertility" 10/2011.
    BFP #2: 12/4/11. EDD 8/14/11. Missed Miscarriage found 1/11/12.
    BFP #3: 3/31/12. EDD 12/8/12. Carter Evan born 11/24/12.
  • Thank you!!!  Still feel like crap...  I hope you are doing good as well. Have fun with Zumba!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"