Indiana Babies
Options

Miralax users come on in!

Ok, so here's a little update on our 13-month constipated bugger!  I went and bought a small bottle of Miralax last night. I gave him a small dose before bed and nothing.  So, by about 11am Sunday I called in to the ped's after hours line. I explained everything to the doctor on call and he said to give him 1/4 cap ful of the Miralax today in a juice bottle and see if that helps.  We did that dose twice today and a glycerine supp and still nothing. He is tooting and trying over and over, but no poopy yet. He is trying a lot though and has some gas, so we are *hopeful* the Miralax is doing something. I think that maybe since he hasn't had any sort of poopy since Thursday night, he is probably really stopped up and it is hard. So, obviously I am sure it is going to take a bit to get out. I know all the Mom's can relate, we are so tired because none of us has had a good nights sleep since mid last week and I have been worried out of my mind.

So, for the babies who started on Miralax for a constipation problem, how long did it take before it took effect and you saw the first poop?  I don't know if it is a pretty instantaeous thing for the LO's or if it takes a few days to work it's magic. If anyone is willing to share their experience, I would appreciate it.

If we don't see anything by tomorrow am when I wake him, then I plan to call the ped and see if we can go in.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage

Re: Miralax users come on in!

• Options

As I recall, it seems to take a few days to work if we take her off of it.  L is what they call a "fecal holder."  Once she got bound up a few times she just started holding it because she remembered it hurting.  Our pedi told us it was safe to be on for extended use.  I would dose him twice a day until he gets it out then cut it back once he has things moving.

Good luck. 

• Options

Once we had his dosage dialed in, we gave Andrew the same amount every morning that forced him to go once a day.  It took a while to get that dosing right.  He would generally go within a couple of hours ish.  If we gave too much it was a mess, too little and it didn't work!

But his problem wasn't hard poops...he just didn't push.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It can take up to 3 days for it to work. Apple juice is supposed to be a natural laxative too.

• Options
    imageVal&B0604:

As I recall, it seems to take a few days to work if we take her off of it.  L is what they call a "fecal holder."  Once she got bound up a few times she just started holding it because she remembered it hurting.  Our pedi told us it was safe to be on for extended use.  I would dose him twice a day until he gets it out then cut it back once he has things moving.

Good luck. 

This was exactly what Gracie did. She remembered it hurt when she was backed up for days, so she would be forcing to keep it in. Our pedi told us that the Miralax is not going to soften the already hard poop that is stopped up in there. So, after she got that out, then the miralax got things soft and working. I think For Gracie it took about a day or two to work.

Also, with what Kathy said. If I would give her too much....she would make a mess! Runny poop everywhere. The good thing about Miralax is that it doesn't have a taste so kids don't notice it and it's also not addictive. Good luck and I hope it starts to help.

~Micah and Danae 6-17-06~
    ~GRACIE JEAN 7-5-08~

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"