North Dakota Babies
Options

Those who travel with LO's

I may be going to California this summer and I am just trying to decide if I should make it a direct flight or have a stop over. I am not sure what would be better being that Gianna will be with me....and also..do I get her her own seat, or does she share one with me?

Re: Those who travel with LO's

• Options

First, where in CA? 

She can sit on your lap for free.

I have no idea about layovers though, I can imagine that not having to take everything off the plane just to get on another plane would be nice.  But I am cheap so if it was cheaper to have a layover then I would go that route, the hassle is worth a cheaper price.

• Options
    She can sit on your lap. If given the choice I would not do a layover.
    ~Kimberly & Eric~ April 21, 2008 ~Tensing Pen ~ Negril, Jamaica ~ My Blog: One Sunset at a Time
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelindeenwedding:

I completley agree...we've flown 3x's already....4th will be next weekend & 5th the following month.  Definitely don't pay for a seat for her & I'd highly suggest no layover as getting on/off is a PITA & she will have to deal w/ the pressure in her ears.

• Options

I have traveled  A LOT with Rowen since he was 10 weeks old pretty much all by myself (the first time we had someone with us was when we flew to Jamaica for the wedding in Oct 09).  So I have a lot of experience here.  I always let Rowen ride on my lap for free but it wasn't always the best choice.  There are a lot of factors you want to look at but the most important one is, is she going to sit/lay on your lap for an entire flight without throwing a screaming fit.  Rowen was great at it until about 18 months and then I flew a flight were I should have bought him a seat because it was a nightmare just trying to keep him on my lap and not crawling all over everyone. 

As for direct flight vs layover I almost always took the layover.  Unless you are flying at a time of day that all she is going to do is sleep (nighttime) I would suggest a layover.  It might be a PITA to get on/off the plane but I liked to give the kids a break (to move and play and changing the diaper on a plane is an even bigger PITA) and most cross country flights are 4 hours.  I can't imagine my kids being good that long in a little seat.  Plus, most gate agents will let you board the plane first so I never minded getting on or off the plane.  Just don't be in a hurry and don't take to much stuff with you.  

And don't stress out about it, it really isn't that difficult.  I've traveled cross country by myself with 2 kids and Phoebe was only 10 weeks at the time.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageeamaines:

imagelindeenwedding:

I completley agree...we've flown 3x's already....4th will be next weekend & 5th the following month.  Definitely don't pay for a seat for her & I'd highly suggest no layover as getting on/off is a PITA & she will have to deal w/ the pressure in her ears.

This this this.

• Options
    I agree with the other posters. I have flown Cali to NY several times and  it is much easier doing a direct flight.  Really there is no reason to pay for another ticket, I'd just have her on your lap. 
  • Options
    imageAshleysred:

First, where in CA? 

Northridge

• Options
    imageMelVic:
    imageAshleysred:

First, where in CA? 

Northridge

No way! I live in Granada Hills which is the town right next to Northridge!  And Marelina isnt far either. It would be fun if it works out that we can have a GTG while you're out here!

• Options
    imagenykris:
    imageMelVic:
    imageAshleysred:

First, where in CA? 

Northridge

No way! I live in Granada Hills which is the town right next to Northridge!  And Marelina isnt far either. It would be fun if it works out that we can have a GTG while you're out here!

I would totally love that!! As I know more I will definitely keep you girls informed....

• Options
    imageAprilJT:

I have traveled  A LOT with Rowen since he was 10 weeks old pretty much all by myself (the first time we had someone with us was when we flew to Jamaica for the wedding in Oct 09).  So I have a lot of experience here.  I always let Rowen ride on my lap for free but it wasn't always the best choice.  There are a lot of factors you want to look at but the most important one is, is she going to sit/lay on your lap for an entire flight without throwing a screaming fit.  Rowen was great at it until about 18 months and then I flew a flight were I should have bought him a seat because it was a nightmare just trying to keep him on my lap and not crawling all over everyone. 

As for direct flight vs layover I almost always took the layover.  Unless you are flying at a time of day that all she is going to do is sleep (nighttime) I would suggest a layover.  It might be a PITA to get on/off the plane but I liked to give the kids a break (to move and play and changing the diaper on a plane is an even bigger PITA) and most cross country flights are 4 hours.  I can't imagine my kids being good that long in a little seat.  Plus, most gate agents will let you board the plane first so I never minded getting on or off the plane.  Just don't be in a hurry and don't take to much stuff with you.  

And don't stress out about it, it really isn't that difficult.  I've traveled cross country by myself with 2 kids and Phoebe was only 10 weeks at the time.  

I agree with this completely.  I take the layover every time.  My kid is too crazy and too restless not to.  Mommy and baby need the break and to regroup. 

• Options
    imagealeikela:
    imageAprilJT:

I agree with this completely.  I take the layover every time.  My kid is too crazy and too restless not to.  Mommy and baby need the break and to regroup. 

Same here.  If I have any chance of LO sitting on my lap for any period of time, I need to let him run off some energy first.  I can't tell you the # of laps we did on the 10 hour flight from London to PHX and I was alone!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"