January 2011 Moms

William David is here (planned c/s) long

William was born on New Year's Eve.  I watched in horror at my 35 week appointment him flipping from head down to breech.  It was the saddest moment since DD was footling breech and I was so looking forward to trying for a natural birth. 

With the news that he was breech my doctor informed me that what we feared after DD might be true (that my pelvis just isn't meant for babies heads to lock and load but comfy for butts to).  The doctor said he would give William to the next appointment to flip. 

When I showed up at 37 weeks, my doctor decided to give me another week.  We (the doctor and I) had really been hoping to go for a VBAC.  He is an old family friend (I grew up with is daughter).

Week 38 showed up to fast and sure enough DS was still breech.  The call was made right then to do a repeat c/s.  NYE was picked as the date since it was 1 week before my due date.  The hospital agreed to schedule the c/s even though the OR was not running that day but for emerg. c/s. 

38 W 5 d I showed up for preop and got my "Tiffanys" bracelet.  Which apparently costs more than a Tiffany's one but if I lose it insurance wont pay for the second one.  Found out that I would be getting a shave job down south (more than just a line) since the new steril cleaning stuff when reacting to to much hair can cause fires somehow...sometimes its best not to ask questions.  Got nice cleaning pads to "wash" myself with night before and the always fun "No eating after midnight."

After a hot date with DH the night before and DD off to the IL's for the next few days.  We showed up at 7am for our 9am c/s.  Went really routine.  Had to "wash" myself with another cleaning pad.  Got hooked up to an IV and monitors found out I was having regular strong contractions so maybe that would have been his birthday anyways:p (I had felt them for the past few days and the day before could time them but decided to stop since I was going in the next morning).  While waiting the 2 hours we heard 3 babies being born, which since I live in a small city was so wild.

At 9:00 they wheeled me back and gave me the spinal.  No pain, the IV was WAY more painful than the spinal.  They prepped me (I am missing a bunch of hair now!) and I have to say for those having a c/s there is no modesty during a c/s but oddly enough (and I am a modest person) it never bothers me in the OR.   The spinal took effect right away and by the time DH and the doctor walked in I couldn't feel anything from my chest down. 

The doctor started and by 9:46 my little boy was out in the world.  After showing him to me over the curtain DS decided to pee on the doctorStick out tongue.  This go around I could see him handleing the baby (and this DS peeing) becuase they moved a little of the curtain down so I could see him.  If you have a c/s see about them doing this, all you see if the doctor handling the baby which was nice.

DS was 6lbs 7oz and 20 inches (just 1 oz bigger than DD).  He is perfect.  After they brought him over for me to see DH and DS went down the hall to the nursery.  For the next 45 minutes they stitched me back up. 

From 10:35 - 11:30 I was looking at my big toes asking for them to move so I could see my baby.  I also was freezing due to the spinal wearing off. 

I finally wiggled my toe and off to my room I went and had to wait another 30 minutes for DS to be cleared from the nursery.  He is perfect and had eating issues the first day (and we are bottle feeding so moms that are breast feeing if its not going easy like the girl across the hall from me (her family is a little loud I got to hear about it all) don't worry even the bottle babies have problems, it is a big day afterall for them.)

He did look a little jaundice the second day but after testing him his levels are fine and we were told that he would continue looking a little yellow for a week or 2. 

We have found he has great shooting distance and have learned that we must cover him before taking the diaper completely off...which is so different from DD. 

As for recovery it has gone TONS better than with DD.  Might be because I know what to expect or the nurse I had that wrote goals for the day on the board.  The was a work horse but she was right.  I needed to walk the halls and I needed to do the breathing stretches.  She also checked to make sure I was doing them.  Even if it was a little overly mother I needed it because I am stubborn and try to do to many things on my own.:p

Overall the c/s wasn't bad but I would say pants are not my favorite thing at the moment...but I am wearing pants now...only because I have a foreign friend living at my house till Friday:p

Oh and I haven't taken any pain meds since yesterday.  Honestly the c/s area doesn't hurt as much as my boobs do.

Minutes old.

Meeting Big Sister for the first time 

Ringing in the new year...a few hours early

Getting ready to go home

Re: William David is here (planned c/s) long

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"