Pennsylvania Babies

Cost of Child care

I am going back to work in December and my mother is going to be keeping the baby.  Everytime I try to discuss what she wants to be paid she says she doesn't care and whatever we can afford.  I was wondering what others are paying so I can figure out what is fair to give her.

Re: Cost of Child care

• I know a friend who pays another friend $75 a week.  That's a crazy steal, especially considering the daycare-providing friend also provides all snacks and lunch.

And a friend-of-a-friend pays an in-home provider $20 a day.

• We paid $960/mo for full time infant care in a center.
  • Loading the player...
  • We pay $249/week at a daycare center.  However, when we were looking at in-home daycares, they usually charged per hour, around $4.
  • I think it varies on your location and your personal situation but for some ideas, we lived in the philly suburbs until just recently and paid a friend $150/week to watch dd. She was not licensed or anything, just a stay at home mom. We are now in a daycare center in mechanicsburg and its just over $200/week for young infants.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When our DD was in an in-home daycare, we paid $35/day, meals not included.

We pay about $50 a day now for a daycare, also no meals included.

• When my son went to my neighbor for 3 months we paid her $25/day, he was a newborn and was only on breastmilk so obviously no food was provided.

When he started at the center we pay $132/week, which includes everything but diapers/wipes.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Hannah goes to an in home daycare and I pay $20 a day.  She goes 4 days a week.  I supply wipes, diapers and lunch.  She does snacks. The thing that kind of sucks about in home daycares is when their off you have to stay at home with your child or find family/friend to watch them. I pay when Hannah's not there (vacation, day off, etc) but I don't have to pay if she takes off that day (sick, vacation, etc). She doesn't mind if the child comes to her when their sick, but I don't take Hannah down if she's really sick.

• I currently pay $2.75 per hour.  She is licensed by the state.
  • Our in home daycare is $150 a week; our former in home DCP (she moved) charged $125 a week. Both included breakfast, lunch and snacks, but we provide diapers and wipes. From my research, that's pretty typically of in home daycares around here.
  • We pay $115/week or $25/day for our babysitter in her home.  She does not provide food so we pack lunch and a snack each day.  She provides other snacks as needed.

BFP #1= DD, We've been TTC DC #2 since 8/11. BFP #2 on 4/18/12, BO confirmed on 5/21/12, natural mc 0n 6/1/12. BFP #3 on 10/11/12.... Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • The cost at our daycare for infant care is approx $4/hour, although we don't have the option to pay by the hour.  The price decreases as the child gets older, even though they start providing food once they are over the age of 1. 

• What is the best way to go about finding an in-home day care?  We are new to the area, so word of mouth is tough for us.  I just need a place for the first three years then baby can go to pre-school which we already have figured out.  I have looked at centers, not wild about them (had a step-daughter that was in a center for a bit...and sick constantly, CONSTANTLY, when they are sick, they can't go...so you have to take off work...bad situation)

Any suggestions are great.  We are in Harrisburg city, so has to be east shore, traffic to the west shore isn't worth it. 

• imagespunkielexis196:

When my son went to my neighbor for 3 months we paid her $25/day, he was a newborn and was only on breastmilk so obviously no food was provided.

When he started at the center we pay $132/week, which includes everything but diapers/wipes.

Do you mind me asking what center this is?  DH and I are looking for daycare centers in the Harrisburg area. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"