North Dakota Babies

Opinions should be kept unless asked for...

...Sorry, I need to do some venting.

My parents know that DH and I have been discussing baby names. Obviously we are not actively TTC as there is 8k miles between us. So the names are for hypothetical children at the moment. A girls name was settled on a long time ago, but now that we're planning on TTC this year we've picked a boy's name.

I was over at my parents for lunch today and they asked if I would share the names.  Stupidly I told them we've picked...Sydney Reese for a girl and Dexter Rylan for a boy.  

This is the response I got after sharing the boy name...Dad = "OMG, that is a terrible name! Lord I hope you have a girl if you would name him that!" Mom = "If you have a boy I'll have to come up with something better to call him."

I really just wanted to throw my pop on them.  Obviously DH and I like the names if they are what we picked.  So why would they intentionally try and hurt my feelings?!  It just pissed me off. I'm their only child so my children are the only grandkids they're going to get. And if they think talk like this is going to get me to change my mind...it won't!

Here's my take...if someone shares a baby name with me and I don't particularly like it I would never tell them that.  It's their kid, they have the right to name it what ever they so choose!

Re: Opinions should be kept unless asked for...

• My BFF told me she hated our boy name when I told her. My SIL hated the middle name that we picked out for Stella and said we should use the name Clair. Everyone has an opinion - I would use whatever name you like -- it's your kid. :)
  • It blows my mind that people feel the need to share their opinions on baby names. That said, I'm sure they probably weren't thinking about how that would make you feel. But still, they should know better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Haha, I want to name my son Bear.  I fully understand that only a few people will like this name and expect many, many criticisms.  It's what you get when you don't name your kid William or Sarah.  (No offense to anyone who wants to name their kids William or Sarah!).

But that's also the reason I'm going to give my kid a normal middle name (Corey or Andrew) and if people want they can call them by their middle name.

ETA: If it matters, I LOVE the name Dexter.  You can call him Dex and that's a "cool" name.  I used to babysit a Dexter and he was a cool little kid.

• People gave me a terrible time about both of our names.  I kept hearing, "seriously, are you really going to name her Phoebe?" and, "Rowen?  Like Row-in the boat?"  My father even told me he wouldn't call my kids by those names.  I ask him about it after Rowen was a couple years old and he now says he loves the name because it is his grandson's name.  So don't let it get to you because once you name your child that it becomes who they are and changes the way people see the name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is exactly why we chose to keep our names a secret until the birth.  We have yet to disclose our boy name in hopes that we can use it soon :)

If you love the name, use it!  Your parents will love it in time when they have a cute little one to associate it with.

• I agree with Natalee, use the names you love, and they'll come to love them too.
  • Like many other pp's, that's why I guard our top names with my life. I figure there's a good chance whoever I tell them to won't like them, and that's fine. I don't care of other people like them, but it's none of their beeswax either.

• Your child, your choice...

If someone has issue with that, smile and say thanks for the input and move on.  Honestly, I know it's annoying but life is too short to get worked up about others' opinions.  So not worth it..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"