Toronto Babies
Options

Baby Shower

My sister said she's not comfortable throwing me a shower because she doesn't think it's etiquette to have a family member host one. 

I'm kinda offended that no one from my family is wanting to host one for me as this is my first baby and the first grandchild.

Thoughts? 

Re: Baby Shower

• Options

My mom, sister and SIL hosted one. My MIL and SIL hosted the other one.

I find it to be totally normal in this area for the family to host it.

• Options
    AndLynAndLyn member
    My family does the same thing, so my baby shower was hosted by my cousin's wife. Could your sister talk to a friend of yours or another relative who could act as host if she's not comfortable? I know how disappointed you feel: my husband's family didn't do a shower for us at all, even though my DD is also the first grandchild.?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm going to figure out a way to say something.  I'm really disappointed.
  • Options
    I didn't have a shower but I wouldn't think anything of a family member hosting one for someone.
  • Options
    Personally I think it's totally fine for a family member to give a baby shower!  I have gone to many hosted by family members. 
  • Options

Aww i am sorry to hear that! I would be sad/disappointed too, especially if it's my first child and/or the first grandchild.

Without getting mad/upset with your sister, tell her how you feel. Let her know that you were looking forward to it. How do you think she would  feel working in the background and just saying that the shower was being held by someone else, such as a best friend/family friend/neighbour etc? Is there anyone that she could work with that would step up and act as host?

Most of the showers i have attended are usually hosted by a family member, typically a mother/mother in law or sister/close female family member. Coming from a European background, it's anticipated that is the way it would go.

I really hope that you get the baby shower that you want but here's an idea if it doesn't go thru- a friend of mine did this with her first baby. Host a 'Meet the baby party' after baby is born. Whenever you are ready, you can do a laid back get together, however big or small you want to do it. You make the rules, you serve what you want, wherever you want. Remember it's 2010 and lots of traditions are going out the window and new traditions are being done. It's your party and you'll do it how you want! :) Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In my experience, all of the showers I've went to are given by parents and/or sisters.  The only thing that I think would be faux-pas is to throw your own!!  Maybe if you google the ettiquette of it online, and get positive results, you can show her!  I know it's perfectly acceptable in my circle anyway!! Good luck!!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That is really sad. That being said, if you have a best friend(s), talk to her and see if she wouldn't mind throwing you one. Tell her what's happened. If she's a great friend she'll understand and will do it. I would also not bother talking about it to your sister. She's told you where she stands and if she were to actually throw you a shower afterwards it would only be because you had asked her and not from her heart. Sweetie, I feel for you. I really do. I threw one for my sister almost two years ago. She invited not only the women but also their spouses and children. If this is the route you wish to go, perhaps your husband can do it for you along with a friend.

By the way, I don't know where your sister got the idea it's not proper etiquette for a family member to throw a shower. If anything they'd be excited and anxious to do so.

I hope this helps. Keep your chin up. Smile

• Options
    I think she's getting it confused with bridal showers, which should not be thrown by the bride's family. But a baby shower is perfectly acceptable....I've seen a woman's immediate family host it more times than I can count.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ~Michelle~
    TTC for 2 years w/ PCOS - Ectopic in April 2012 at 7 weeks; MTX x2
    Check out my blog: Married In A Zoo
    & follow me on Twitter

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"