Preemies
Options

Just delivered an IUGR baby at 34 weeks 5 days--breastfeeding help

Hi ladies, looks like I'm joining this board after delivering my IUGR baby early. On Tuesday we were told that his already noticed growth lag had worsened since my last ultrasound and we were delivered that night at 34 weeks 5 days. Our little boy was 3lb 3oz. He's in the NICU but is doing great. He just needs to gain weight and then should be able to come home. He lost some weight the first few days but we're hoping he'll start to gain now.

I really want to breastfeed for a million reasons. I'm currently pumping milk and it's being bottle fed to him by us and the NICU staff when we're not there along with fortification to increase the calories and promote growth. My concern is that he won't willingly breast feed after since bottle feeding is much easier/faster for him. We've put him to my breast a few times for practice. The first time he latched really well because we teased him with some formula through a dropper while he was latched (this was before my milk came in). Now that I have milk though and very full breasts it's difficult and frustrating for him. I met with a lactation consultant once and will try to see her again on Monday, but I'm feeling concerned and frustrated.

What was your experience with this if you breast fed or tried to? I want him to grow well more than anything, but feel that this is important too. Any tips or advice or stories to share?

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Just delivered an IUGR baby at 34 weeks 5 days--breastfeeding help

• Options
    Congratulations on your little boy!  I'm glad to hear he is doing well.  My LO was in the NICU for 67 days and I was 100% devoted to breastfeeding.  I pumped around the clock every 2-3 hours every single day.  He had to be tube fed the majority of the time.  The last few weeks he was in the NICU, we started bottle feeding and breastfeeding.  He did well with both.  When we brought him home, I was more focused on feeding him via the bottle with the frozen breastmilk because I wanted to make sure he was getting enough.  Whenever I was in the mood, I would breastfeed and he latched on no problem.  There was never an nipple confusion.  I know that is not the norm though with many babies.  So... I guess, my advice to you is if he does indeed not take to you after being bottle fed, just pump and offer it to him that way.  This is way more time consuming but is well worth it!  I sincerely hope and think he'll do just fine breastfeeding though.
    image. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I had my baby boy close to 31 weeks, and then he came home close to gestional age 36 weeks.  I pumped for the first month.  It drove me crazy.  And I was going back to work after a 6 week maternity leave, so we put him on Neosure formula when he came home.  And after he came home, he eventually latched.  We mostly used the Neosure formula.  For me, the breastfeeding was just more of a comforting thing or to just make sure he was really hungry. 

Honestly, you just have to know your limits and do what is the best for you.  I have a friend who delivered her baby close to her due date in October, and she would go to lactation consulations to help her with breastfeeding.  I have another friend who has a baby boy, and she has had issues with breastfeeding --so her baby boy now is on formula. 

There is also a Breastfeeding Board on the www.thebump.com that I went to and asked questions.  And I have a happy baby boy that is now over 18 lbs, even though I made the decision to put him on formula. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats! I had my little girl at 34 weeks as well. I was told by the LC that when they hit the 6lb mark they are strong enough to really get breastfeeding going. I just focused on bottle feeding for the 2.5 weeks she was in the NICU but tried to get her to latch every day at least once. When we got home and had the time I really focused on her breastfeeding for most feeds. She's now 8 months old and we're still going! Stick to it! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congrats! The best advice I have as a NICU nurse to to continue to work with the LC while at the hospital. Your LO may not completely 'get it' at first, but this is a practice makes perfect kind of thing. Eventually they will get big and strong and figure it out, even with being bottle fed for now.  Personally - I think the whole "nipple confusion" is bogus and is just a matter of their energy level and what they are used to. They can become used to getting it direct from the source with some patience and practice! Good Luck!
  • Options

If you look at my siggy pic, Kate is on the right.  She was my IUGR baby.  (32 weeks).  She was tiny (3#4oz at birth).  She really wanted to breastfeed...great rooting reflex, but was just too tiny (her jaw/mouth muscles).  I still put her to breast maybe 1 time a week.  (we were in the NICU 5 long weeks...)

I pumped breastmilk for 6 weeks for my twins.  As my supply decreased we went to 50/50 solution of formula and breastmilk.  I am so glad I pumped.  NICU was stressful and my goal in breastfeeding was for them to get the benefits of my breastmilk.  It's really good for their preemie tummies/and digestive system.  I shifted my focus from the latching on stuff....to pumping.  I bonded with the girls thru daily kangaroo sessions.  I loved kangaroo time.  They are 6 months old now, and happy as can be.  And super snuggly girls.  GL to you.  I wish you a short NICU stay and for you and your LO to be home very soon.

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS was born at the same age, but wasn't IUGR. He didn't really figure out bfing while we were in the NICU - I only tried about 3-4 times b/c the docs I had were very intense about watching his input since he was pretty jaundiced. Do see an LC to watch for latch, but a lot of this will probably require patience and persistence on your part. Once we were home (spent 15 days in NICU), I began transitioning him from bottle to breast. It took about 2 weeks, but then he was able to EBF and we bf'd full time through one year and continued doing days and nights until 15.5 mo. It is tricky, scary, and frustrating in the first few weeks, but totally worth it if you can succeed in the end.

You can use warm wash cloths on your breasts for a few minutes before you put him to latch to help them soften up some and make it easier for him to get on. You only have to do this for a little while, not forever, just while you're still engorged from your milk coming in. They don't have the stamina to take full feeds from the breast at this age, usually. Remember, babies their age are supposed to be hanging out in fluid and being fed through the cord still :( Once we hit DS's EDD, he had SO much more stamina to suck and get to a letdown and to stay on the boob for a full 10 min. Before then, it's very off and on and they just don't have the energy to suck and suck until letdown to get the milk, so they can give up too early. For now, you can try pumping a little before putting him to breast to get yourself closer to letdown so he doesn't have to work as hard.

Hang in there! GL!

• Options

Congrats on your son! I remember you from the MD/DC/VA get together we had last fall - when we both were still TTGP.

I don't have much advice about breastfeeding, since my son was born so early I had to pump (and by the time he was bottle feeding, he was on a thickener for reflux, so I never even tried to breastfeed).  I did it for 6 months, and just stopped over the holidays.  It's a pain in the butt, so I'd keep at the breast feeding if you can!  I'd echo what everyone else says - keep using the LC at the hospital, and then I'd try to continue to use one once you get home.  Like you mentioned, the doctors are most concerned about weight gain at the hospital, so even if they are "supportive" of BF, they are going to want to make sure you LO is getting enough - so that would be through pumped milk and/or formula.  Just keep at it, and make sure the nurses know how important it is for you and hopefully they will let you do it more often as you LO grows and gets stronger.

Good luck!

• Options
    I highly HIGHLY recommend NOT using bottles. Your LO should be syringe fed, a supplemental system while "nursing", cup-fed or some combination. There are LOs that will go back to breast, via nipple shield or not, after bottles, but mine would NOT. I know she's rare, but I saw 5 different LCs at major hospitals and none could help us. I put her to breast before every feeding (I boarded at the hospital for the 4 days she was in the SCN) as well, but she loved the fast-flow bottle. We worked hard for 8 weeks, too, before I just went to perma- EPing, which sucks. I wish you the best, but always wish somebody would have told me to tell my hospital no bottles. 
  • Options
    imagelattelady2:
    Congrats! The best advice I have as a NICU nurse to to continue to work with the LC while at the hospital. Your LO may not completely 'get it' at first, but this is a practice makes perfect kind of thing. Eventually they will get big and strong and figure it out, even with being bottle fed for now.  Personally - I think the whole "nipple confusion" is bogus and is just a matter of their energy level and what they are used to. They can become used to getting it direct from the source with some patience and practice! Good Luck!
    Nipple confusion is only bogus to those who haven't personally lived through it.
  • Options

imagemrstarawalsh:
    imagelattelady2:
    Nipple confusion is only bogus to those who haven't personally lived through it.

Thank you. Every time I think I've gotten over feeling like a giant failure, this myth enters my life again somehow.  

• Options

The thing that really helped the most for me when I was engorged was to pump a bit first. That way they didn't have to work so hard before the milk would come and my breast would be softer. That being said it still wasn't easy.  With ds#1 he was just a lazy eater and never took to bf so we ended up ff. Ds#2 did seem to have a bit of nipple confusion at first but he did get the hang of it. Even after he came home i would bf him for as long as he wanted then end up pumping while dh fed him the rest by bottle. Eventually he started taking less from the bottle and bfing more. Just be patient w/ yourself and you lo.

To the person that says they shouldn't be bottle fed but fed by syringe I understand where you're coming from. However, I'm not sure how feasible that is. In our NICU one criteria for going home is that they be able to nipple every feeding (aka take a bottle) or bf every feeding. So if they were always syringe fed they would never get to go home. I don't know how that would work maybe I'm missing something but just thought I'd through that out there.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"