South Florida Babies

Paranoia or good caution? My evening...

I get to daycare and Sophia is visibly limping and not wanting to walk. The teachers said that they noticed this after she had been playing outside for a while but that she hadn't fallen or cried like she had gotten hurt. They were totally baffled. We took off her pants - no bruises or red marks. I took off her shoes and put her down to see if maybe it was them and it was even worse barefoot. She did not really cry, tho. It was more of a whine and whimper and then she would put her arms up to be picked up.

Seriously - this freaked me out. She reminded me of an animal with a hurt foot who could not tell you where it hurt. So, I called Abel and he told me to take her to the after hours doctor at our Pedi and that he would meet me there. Dude, I looooved the After Hours urgent care. I will never go to an ER again unless I absolutely have to. Anyway, we were in and out in 45 minutes and the funny thing was that when I got there and put her shoes on her again and put her down - she seemed fine. Walking fast, maybe a little limp but she walks kinda like a drunk penguin anyway so its hard to tell. Going by her attitude, though, nothing seemed to hurt. The doctor checked her physically but did not want to expose her to the radiation of an x-ray (and neither did we) unless it was obvious she was in some kind of pain which at this point it didn't look like.

So, he gave us the directive to keep an eye on her and what to watch out for. Apparently a bad cold can lead to some kind of temporary arthirtis in some kids but that he did not feel this was the case with Sophia because it would last for days - not hours.

......and so there we were. Feeling like paranoid idiots. LOL. The doctor told us that we did the right thing, though, that he sees too many parents who underreact and that it is better to overreact any day just to be sure. And that was that.

Sophia is fine today. No limp. She was climbing on the chairs when we got to daycare so obviously her legs and feet are fine. She slept all night last night thanks to the old faitful combination of: Tylenol, Vicks, and the Humidifier. She has THREE new teeth showing - all on the bottom. Poor kid! LOL. She is getting hit from all sides.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Paranoia or good caution? My evening...

• Poor Sophia. Mommy needs a major break from all of these doctor's visits already!!! She is such a trooper though, she keeps on doing her thang even if she isn't feeling 100%.

By the way....I LOVE your siggy pic Big Smile

• I thought you woud like my new siggy, Sam. LOL. I cannot see it at work (photobucket is blocked for those who don't know) so I had to catch up on everyone elses and change mine at home last night. I love yours! Those two poohs are too cute!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, that sounds scary to find her in Daycare like that.  I'm glad nothing's wrong w/ her and she's feeling better already.

Maybe her foot fell asleep at school and she was limping, but that doesn't explain the limp at the office... strange!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Better safe than sorry, especially when they can't really tell you what's hurting them.  I think it's better to look like paranoid parents than neglectful ones and let something slide that could really be a problem. 

I'm glad she's not limping anymore!!!!

image image

• No paranoia at all. I am the same way and my Diego's pedi always makes me feel great about it. To me its better to be safe than sorry KWIM? They are so little and can't really express what they feel.?

Who knows maybe at that moment her leg had a muscle pain or maybe she was sitting on it and it bother her to walk? It happens to us when we sit on them so you know what I mean.

?Well, either way I am glad she is ok.

barbie?

?

?

• Paranoia!?!?! Not so much!  I would have done the same thing, though Richard isn't as quick to react as Abel was, he would have told me to wait until the morning...=/  Either way I am glad that this seems to be one less thing that you and Soph have to deal with. [[Hugs]]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"