Babies: 6 - 9 Months

FFFC: Where is Bobby? Post em if you got em...

2»

Re: FFFC: Where is Bobby? Post em if you got em...

• imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:
    I have no intention of saving a single penny towards my kid's college education.

Seriously?  Why?

We will save some (and whatever $$ DS gets as gifts will be saved as well).  But it certainly won't cover much. DH and I both worked FT while in college, DH had a football scholarship, and we took some loans.  I can tell you that we value our education a heck of a lot more than our friends who got free rides from their parents.  Our DS will be brought up to learn the same. 

My parents paid for my undergrad, and I can tell you that in my case, I valued my education BECAUSE they paid for it.  They worked hard to save up that money, and I was very conscious of it and worked really hard in school to get good grades.

On the flip side, I had to take out loans for law school - I took out the max amount and really enjoyed myself by spending the extra money to go out, buy stuff, etc.  I didn't take school as seriously because of where the money came from. 

We have already started savings accounts for both babies, and we will pay for as much as we can of their undergraduate education.  I think it would be selfish of us to not do so.  I guess that's my FFFC - if you have the ability to pay for your child's college education and don't, I think you are doing a disservice to your child.

• imageStarfish113:
    i don't give riley a bath every night. and she's in daycare...

Is this a bad thing?  Honestly, I hate bath time and my kids get a bath every other night.  In summer, it's daily but that's b/c of sweat, sunscreen, etc.  Also, why does it matter if she's in daycare?  Not flaming, just curious!  :D

• Loading the player...
  • imagemegperk72:

There is a little girl at DD's dc that I can't stand. She's 2 or 3, and just walks around picking up things and toys, even if another one of the kids is playing with it. I don't know if there is something wrong with her, she just seems a little 'off'. She's kind of, well, "boorish", I guess you would say. No manners, no emotion, and always moving. I feel horrible for not liking a child, but she just really gets under my skin. And she better not ever steal toys from MY baby! Stick out tongue

... Or else... ?

Indifferent 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKirbus:
    imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:
    I have no intention of saving a single penny towards my kid's college education.

Seriously?  Why?

We will save some (and whatever $$ DS gets as gifts will be saved as well).  But it certainly won't cover much. DH and I both worked FT while in college, DH had a football scholarship, and we took some loans.  I can tell you that we value our education a heck of a lot more than our friends who got free rides from their parents.  Our DS will be brought up to learn the same. 

I think paying for college, and giving your children a debt free start to their adult life is one of the most important and amazing gifts you can give a child.  If you have the means to pay for it, but you want them to think that they are paying for it, then why not save up the money, and then surprise then at the graduation by paying off their loans?  It's one thing if you don't have the money, but I can't imagine having the money and choosing not to do that for my child.

I think it's more important to save for retirement than your kid's education. If you don't have money for them to use for school, they can still get scholarships, grants, loans, work-study, etc. to pay for it. If you don't have the money to retire - you can't retire, period.

I will set her up with a bank account to put money from her birthdays, etc and of course we'll give her money to put in it as well. Eighteen years from now, if we have the extra funds to help her with school, then we will. But for now, we have no specific savings for that purpose.

imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageDaisyFull:
    imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:

Seriously?  Why?

I respect you wanting your DS to earn it, but I have a hard time believing a statement like you value your education "more" than your friends who got "free rides".

How can you quantify how much someone else values something?

I was trying to ETA but it deleated it! 

I know many people who got "free rides" and do value their education.  But at the same time, A LOT of DH's friends failed, partied it up, and did the minimum to get through.  Their resume's lacked a lot and now couldn't/can't find the job they "wanted".

I also wanted to add that we would NEVER tell our children that because they couldn't soley pay their way that they couldn't go.  We would of course help them out. I would never expect then to have 6 figures in debt when they get done.  We will have general savings and will help were needed.  The grade thing is an awesome idea.. but my child will never think (while growing up) that he has a free ride to any college in the country.  When looking at school, he will need to take into consideration all costs associated and plan accordingly.

Sorry another ETA:  We are however paying for DS to go to a private catholic high school that DH went to.  DH felt it really prepped him for the real world of college and being an adult.  But the cost of said HS is NOTHING compared to college, and DS will be living at home so we can keep him in check LOL

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers M: 31 DH: 34 Dx: PCOS, Endo, Uterine Septum Ovarian Wedge Resection - May 2009 BFP #1 - October 2009 = DS BFP #2 - June 2011 = DD (Total Surprise!) Tree nut allergy in DS diagnosed 4/2012. Currently working with EI for SPD and possible ASD.
  • imageKirbus:
    imageDaisyFull:
    imagemegperk72:

There is a little girl at DD's dc that I can't stand. She's 2 or 3, and just walks around picking up things and toys, even if another one of the kids is playing with it. I don't know if there is something wrong with her, she just seems a little 'off'. She's kind of, well, "boorish", I guess you would say. No manners, no emotion, and always moving. I feel horrible for not liking a child, but she just really gets under my skin. And she better not ever steal toys from MY baby! Stick out tongue

... Or else... ?

Indifferent 

Or else she'll summon Starfish to come flash them while wearing a trench coat and creeping around elementary schools.

that's how i roll!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:

Seriously?  Why?

The amount your child values their education has more to do with how you raise your child than the money you contribute towards their education.

This kind of thinking infuriates me to no end. Apparently because my parents paid for my education, I pissed it away. My accomplishments in undergrad, law school and now as an attorney don't actually exist because my parents helped me get there. 

My H on the other hand, had parents who refused to pay for his education. We are stuck with around $150,000 worth of student loans and regret him getting an advanced degree. We struggle every day to pay back those loans. 

I completely understand if you can't afford to help your children, but to refuse out of the principle? That is seriously misguided. Until you can come up with some study that shows those who paid for their own were better students and more accomplished in their lives, this is an incredibly faulty excuse. 

• Ok, I tried to do an ETA, but I am having a hard time getting the bump to work today. I understand the PP's position on not being able to pay a full amount and making sure the child chooses their school with finances in mind. I agree completely with that. I think you can get an amazing education even at a less expensive school.

My post was only speaking to the concept that someone would not pay for college simply because it would make her child value education more. Or because it would force the child to build her resume to get a job (as was said in the second response.)

• imagekate930:
    imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:

Seriously?  Why?

The amount your child values their education has more to do with how you raise your child than the money you contribute towards their education.

This kind of thinking infuriates me to no end. Apparently because my parents paid for my education, I pissed it away. My accomplishments in undergrad, law school and now as an attorney don't actually exist because my parents helped me get there. 

My H on the other hand, had parents who refused to pay for his education. We are stuck with around $150,000 worth of student loans and regret him getting an advanced degree. We struggle every day to pay back those loans. 

I completely understand if you can't afford to help your children, but to refuse out of the principle? That is seriously misguided. Until you can come up with some study that shows those who paid for their own were better students and more accomplished in their lives, this is an incredibly faulty excuse. 

Amen, sister!!

I worked my butt off in undergrad, and one of the reasons (besides wanting to do a good job so I could get into law school) was BECAUSE my parents paid for it.  Plus, they raised me to value my education and to realize how important it was. 

This whole notion of not appreciating an education because you didn't work full time or take out loans or get a scholarship really irks me. 

I also disagree that it's more important to save for retirement than my kids' education.  I will do everything in my power to make sure that my kids don't have loans coming out of undergrad - if that means I have to work 5 more years, or that DH and I can't travel all the time after we retire (which is our dream as of now), then so be it.  Their education is paramount to me, and trumps any of my retirement wishes.

• In response to the education thing...

There is a big difference on a family that has the means to save extra now for their child's future education.  I would love to be able to help her starting now, but we can't.  We both work full time and daycare costs what my college cost back then.  There simply is no left over money right now after the meager amount we put into our emergency savings. 

Also, if I did have some extra money (not tons of overflow), then you better believe I'd be saving that for retirement vs. education.  That's the financially smart thing to do.  Always pay yourself before kids.  They can get loans, scholarships; you cannot do a damn thing to help you in retirement expect beg your kids to help you. 

However, any money she receives for b-days, events does go into an account for her to use for whatever (heopfully education)..  And if we have the means to HELP (not fully pay) for education when she gets there, we will.  But there will hopefully be siblings at that point and the forecast for a state school in the future is about $120,000 a year.

• imageKirbus:
    imagedcunningham2:
    imageKirbus:
    imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:

Seriously?  Why?

I think paying for college, and giving your children a debt free start to their adult life is one of the most important and amazing gifts you can give a child.  If you have the means to pay for it, but you want them to think that they are paying for it, then why not save up the money, and then surprise then at the graduation by paying off their loans?  It's one thing if you don't have the money, but I can't imagine having the money and choosing not to do that for my child.

I think it's more important to save for retirement than your kid's education. If you don't have money for them to use for school, they can still get scholarships, grants, loans, work-study, etc. to pay for it. If you don't have the money to retire - you can't retire, period.

I will set her up with a bank account to put money from her birthdays, etc and of course we'll give her money to put in it as well. Eighteen years from now, if we have the extra funds to help her with school, then we will. But for now, we have no specific savings for that purpose.

Why can't you save for both?

That's what I was going to ask.  Damn you, Kirbus and your lightening fast response time. 

Baby #2 on the way! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Holy dups! Sorry!
  • Holy dups! Sorry!
  • Holy dups! Sorry!
  • Holy dups!  Sorry!

• imagekate930:

This.  My parents paid for my education in full.  They even gave me spending money so I could focus on my studies.  Ya know what I did with the work ethic they gave me?  I worked about 30 hours a week to earn money in addition to what they gave me.  I graduated with honors and bought my first house at 25 years old while single.  I appreciate daily what they gave me and work hard to live in their example, saving for my childrens' educations and weddings along with my retirement.

• imageKirbus:
    imageStratton28:

In response to the education thing...

There is a big difference on a family that has the means to save extra now for their child's future education.  I would love to be able to help her starting now, but we can't.  We both work full time and daycare costs what my college cost back then.  There simply is no left over money right now after the meager amount we put into our emergency savings. 

Also, if I did have some extra money (not tons of overflow), then you better believe I'd be saving that for retirement vs. education.  That's the financially smart thing to do.  Always pay yourself before kids.  They can get loans, scholarships; you cannot do a damn thing to help you in retirement expect beg your kids to help you. 

However, any money she receives for b-days, events does go into an account for her to use for whatever (heopfully education)..  And if we have the means to HELP (not fully pay) for education when she gets there, we will.  But there will hopefully be siblings at that point and the forecast for a state school in the future is about $120,000 a year.

Just to clarify, if you don't have the money to be saving for college, that's one thing.  I'm mostly bothered by the people saying they are choosing not to save for their children's college, not the people who are saying they can't.

Yes, Kirbus is saying exactly what I was trying to say. I would never belittle someone's inability to pay. We are struggling ourselves to come up with the funds and figure out the retirement/education conundrum. We just really want our child to be able to start life with no student loans, because we know the immense burden they impose.  

• Holy dups! Sorry!
  • imageKirbus:
    imageDaisyFull:
    imagemegperk72:

... Or else... ?

Indifferent 

Or else she'll summon Starfish to come flash them while wearing a trench coat and creeping around elementary schools.

haha....yes!

There is no 'or else', I was sarcastically being one of 'those' moms who get all up in arms about people touching *their* child. (Hence the smiley face with the tongue sticking out)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageDaisyFull:

Ok, I've got mine. And it's silly, but it's my confession.

I am annoyed that friends of ours are joining our church hand over fist. I know it's silly; something like church can't be "claimed" - it's there for everyone. But it annoys me because we've been going for a long time and now people are just catching on to how funny/great/wonderful our priest is and so they're all about it. 

Back off, he's mine. 

That's not very Christian of you!  Stick out tongue   It reminds me of a movie a saw with Mandy Moore where she throws a Bible at a girl's head and says "I'm filled with Christ's love!"

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:

I am annoyed that friends of ours are joining our church hand over fist. I know it's silly; something like church can't be "claimed" - it's there for everyone. But it annoys me because we've been going for a long time and now people are just catching on to how funny/great/wonderful our priest is and so they're all about it. 

Back off, he's mine. 

That's not very Christian of you!  Stick out tongue   It reminds me of a movie a saw with Mandy Moore where she throws a Bible at a girl's head and says "I'm filled with Christ's love!"

I know, right?

Wasn't the movie "Jesus Freaks" or something like that? I know I saw it, it was funny.

• imageDaisyFull:
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:

Back off, he's mine. 

I know, right?

Wasn't the movie "Jesus Freaks" or something like that? I know I saw it, it was funny.

Yeah, something like that.  It had Macully Culkin (sp?) in it too. It was pretty funny!

My fffc- I stole Dh's Call of Duty video game and hid it in my box of tampons bc he was annoying me with it.  He plays with his friends on his blue tooth and is completely obnoxios about it. 

Then I felt like an idiot for hiding a video game from a grown man and gave it back.  But I didn't tell him where I hid it in case I need to use that hiding spot again haha

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • imagedcunningham2:
    imageKirbus:
    imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:

Seriously?  Why?

This. You should fully fund your retirement before saving for college. You can take out a loan for college, but not for retirement. We are saving money the girls get as presents. Both have gotten savings bonds that they will be able to use for college, but at this point, we don't have the extra money to save for college. Hopefully when we are not paying $1200 in daycare a month, we will be able to save more money for them.....
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • My kid doesnt need college fund....hes gonna be the next Justin Timberlake.  Here we come Toddlers & Tiaras!!!

just kidding

kinda 

• imageBurnNurse:

My kid doesnt need college fund....hes gonna be the next Justin Timberlake.  Here we come Toddlers & Tiaras!!!

just kidding

kinda 

Yes  My 1/2 sister won't let her dd play any sport that won't eventually offer scholarships to college.  (ie- dance, cheerleading etc.)  When I asked why, she said she wanted to give her dd  the best opportunity to get a scholarship to college.   ummm whatever happened to a scholarship based on grades?!  My poor niece is doomed...

Rap Roller
  • imageKirbus:
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:

Yeah, something like that.  It had Macully Culkin (sp?) in it too. It was pretty funny!

My fffc- I stole Dh's Call of Duty video game and hid it in my box of tampons bc he was annoying me with it.  He plays with his friends on his blue tooth and is completely obnoxios about it. 

Then I felt like an idiot for hiding a video game from a grown man and gave it back.  But I didn't tell him where I hid it in case I need to use that hiding spot again haha

I used to do the same thing!  I never thought to hide them in tampons though.  He always found them.  I bet he wouldn't have found them if I was as good a hider as you!

haha!  ok- confession- I hid it once before and he found it.  I hid it under the couch cushion- who thinks to look there!?   

Rap Roller
  • imageLaurelBee:
    imageBurnNurse:

My kid doesnt need college fund....hes gonna be the next Justin Timberlake.  Here we come Toddlers & Tiaras!!!

just kidding

kinda 

Yes  My 1/2 sister won't let her dd play any sport that won't eventually offer scholarships to college.  (ie- dance, cheerleading etc.)  When I asked why, she said she wanted to give her dd  the best opportunity to get a scholarship to college.   ummm whatever happened to a scholarship based on grades?!  My poor niece is doomed...

Maddox's dad is pretty sure he's going to be the 2nd coming of John Wall.  Umm....we're both 5'8" and under....yeah, JT look out! 

• imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:

Back off, he's mine. 

I know, right?

The movie was Saved!  I LOVE that movie!  The one chick gets pregnant at like 16 and tries to hide the pregnancy, got pregnant her first time having sex with her bf because he was gay and she thought it was God's will to have sex to "convert" him back to being straight haha.  It was a hilarious movie, poked fun at so many different things, I loved it.

And OMG I wish I could hide DH's games.  COD and NHL 11 are the main ones :oP  He never puts them aywhere else other than in the xbox or next to it though so if it were to go missing he'd know why.  Boo.

Uhm... I don't think I have any good flame free confessions?  My mind is drawing a blank.  I'm sure theres many things I do that would get flamed but I do n't even care haha. 

Oh wait I have one.  I'm usually a home body and I am nowhere near being the partier I used to be.  But I am craving a night out with my girls filled with martinis and not getting just tipsy, I want to get flat out drunk.  My bachelorette party sucked big time, so I want a redo, but I don't even think that's possible when you're married with a child hahaha. 

• imagerubiafaerie25:
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:

Back off, he's mine. 

I know, right?

The movie was Saved!  I LOVE that movie!  The one chick gets pregnant at like 16 and tries to hide the pregnancy, got pregnant her first time having sex with her bf because he was gay and she thought it was God's will to have sex to "convert" him back to being straight haha.  It was a hilarious movie, poked fun at so many different things, I loved it.

And OMG I wish I could hide DH's games.  COD and NHL 11 are the main ones :oP  He never puts them aywhere else other than in the xbox or next to it though so if it were to go missing he'd know why.  Boo.

Uhm... I don't think I have any good flame free confessions?  My mind is drawing a blank.  I'm sure theres many things I do that would get flamed but I do n't even care haha. 

Oh wait I have one.  I'm usually a home body and I am nowhere near being the partier I used to be.  But I am craving a night out with my girls filled with martinis and not getting just tipsy, I want to get flat out drunk.  My bachelorette party sucked big time, so I want a redo, but I don't even think that's possible when you're married with a child hahaha. 

Ha!  You should have a wifeyette party instead :)  Invite all your friends who are wifes and/or moms.  They need a night out just as bad as you I'm sure!  Can I come??

Rap Roller
  • imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:

Seriously?  Why?

I can honestly say this is true. I had scholarships that paid for my school. Then I goofed around, my GPA dropped, and I lost them. I had to take out loans to pay my last year. I stopped goofing off and my GPA came back up. I guess bc it was coming out of my pocket.

ETA: True in my family*** My younger bro and sis pulled the same thing, but much worse. My parents paid for their next semesters, and they continued. Now they pay for their school, but still manage to screw up and flunk.

• imageLaurelBee:
    imagerubiafaerie25:
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageDaisyFull:

Back off, he's mine. 

I know, right?

Ha!  You should have a wifeyette party instead :)  Invite all your friends who are wifes and/or moms.  They need a night out just as bad as you I'm sure!  Can I come??

Oh I like the way you think! Hahaha and sure! the more the merrier!  I know an awesome bar that specializes in martinis (the menu is so extensive!) and they're delicious.  A bit pricey but you get two for the price (one in the glass, rest in the shaker...) They also serve bar food (high class bar food) and have a restaurant that's very foofoo haha, but I go mainly for the martinis!

• imagenaybride04:
    imagedcunningham2:
    imageKirbus:
    imageMrs.T22308:
    imageKirbus:

imageDreamsicle23:

Seriously?  Why?

This. You should fully fund your retirement before saving for college. You can take out a loan for college, but not for retirement. We are saving money the girls get as presents. Both have gotten savings bonds that they will be able to use for college, but at this point, we don't have the extra money to save for college. Hopefully when we are not paying $1200 in daycare a month, we will be able to save more money for them.....

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It seems there are only a few bright people here. It's OBVIOUS if you have the money to do both...FULLY fund your retirement and your kids college education than that is wonderful but most people can't because you need a of of money to live off if you retire at 65 and don't work and die at 90.   You can't find too many jobs that pay worth a damn after 65. It sucks if you kid has 150K in loans BUT it is completely possible to pay that off and own a home, have a family and be happy etc for many, many years! You don't have that choice when you are 70.

So you pay for your kids college whoo hoo! but you have no retirement! so now you have just given them a burden of paying for your retirement home and or caring for their ailing parents for 10-20 years because you didn't save money to take care of yourself in your old age. Either way you burden them either at the beginning of their adult life when they are full on in their careers, have families of their own and mortgages to pay. ANY sane financial consultant will tell you to pay yourself first and YOU come before anything. We are talking a million dollars or more to live moderately well for another 20 yrs. IF you owned your house outright. Can you live on 50K a year because that's about 1 million bucks? Does anyone here have that yet? then we need worry about that and paying YOUR mortgage. Your kid will have to do the same thing pay HIS mortgage and save for HIS retirement.

• imageHip2Bsquare:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It seems there are only a few bright people here. It's OBVIOUS if you have the money to do both...FULLY fund your retirement and your kids college education than that is wonderful but most people can't because you need a of of money to live off if you retire at 65 and don't work and die at 90.   You can't find too many jobs that pay worth a damn after 65. It sucks if you kid has 150K in loans BUT it is completely possible to pay that off and own a home, have a family and be happy etc for many, many years! You don't have that choice when you are 70.

So you pay for your kids college whoo hoo! but you have no retirement! so now you have just given them a burden of paying for your retirement home and or caring for their ailing parents for 10-20 years because you didn't save money to take care of yourself in your old age. Either way you burden them either at the beginning of their adult life when they are full on in their careers, have families of their own and mortgages to pay. ANY sane financial consultant will tell you to pay yourself first and YOU come before anything. We are talking a million dollars or more to live moderately well for another 20 yrs. IF you owned your house outright. Can you live on 50K a year because that's about 1 million bucks? Does anyone here have that yet? then we need worry about that and paying YOUR mortgage. Your kid will have to do the same thing pay HIS mortgage and save for HIS retirement.

Wow, Hip. Did you really just come here, 8 hours after the op, and call us all dim?

I'm not sure where it was ever said that we weren't going to be able to fund our own retirements. Maybe you could point that out.

• Hip - a friend of mine recently explained this to me the other day, and it totally makes sense.  She's a CPA, and I asked what her thoughts were on saving for college for DD since DH is a professor and she'll get free tuition where ever he teaches.  Of course, it'll be difficult if she doesn't want to go there, but we don't want to put money in a 529 and then have her not need it.

I think a lot of people here just haven't looked into what the best thing is and are not aware of the realities of the future.

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageKirbus:
    imagesucrets4:

Hip - a friend of mine recently explained this to me the other day, and it totally makes sense.  She's a CPA, and I asked what her thoughts were on saving for college for DD since DH is a professor and she'll get free tuition where ever he teaches.  Of course, it'll be difficult if she doesn't want to go there, but we don't want to put money in a 529 and then have her not need it.

I think a lot of people here just haven't looked into what the best thing is and are not aware of the realities of the future.

Both of you are making a lot of assumptions.  Just because you pay for your child's education doesn't mean you don't also have a fully funded retirement account that will last through your retirement.

This. Our retirement is always the first account that gets extra funds at the end of each month, and then at the end of each tax year. Then comes DD's school fund, then comes our rainy day and/or vacation fund.

Just because we were arguing the importance of saving for an education does not mean we haven't given any thought to our retirement. 

I'm actually really unsure how that even came up. 

• imageRedWingsFan:

Amen, sister!!

I worked my butt off in undergrad, and one of the reasons (besides wanting to do a good job so I could get into law school) was BECAUSE my parents paid for it.  Plus, they raised me to value my education and to realize how important it was. 

This whole notion of not appreciating an education because you didn't work full time or take out loans or get a scholarship really irks me. 

I also disagree that it's more important to save for retirement than my kids' education.  I will do everything in my power to make sure that my kids don't have loans coming out of undergrad - if that means I have to work 5 more years, or that DH and I can't travel all the time after we retire (which is our dream as of now), then so be it.  Their education is paramount to me, and trumps any of my retirement wishes.

Totally lurking, but I think this is where IV / Hip saw the retirement thing, before everyone jumps down her throat.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I've tried and have about 20-30 words under my belt, but my pronunciation is terrible.  Chinese is a tonal language, and I've said things that come out completely wrong (like, once I thought said "she peed" and it apparently came out as if I said "she's downstairs").  I also have an electronic translator, but that only works about half the time.  So for complicated things like instructions, I tell them to DH (with the nanny standing there) and he directly translates (at least, I think he does - I have no way of knowing if he's saying exactly what I told him).  I prepare the meals, show them to her, saying "tomorrow, she eats this".  And then DH fills in the more difficult words, like "feed 1 oz. to her for lunch about an hour and a half after a bottle".  He can't write in Chinese, so that's not possible.  I don't want to get my ILs involved if I don't have to, but if it comes to that, they could do it.   

I would find another nanny.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"