Breastfeeding

I want to EBF for 11 months... (poll included)

at which time because of my schedule for grad school I will need to EP, eventually weaning to solid foods and nursing once or twice at night....

Am I crazy to want to EBF for so long?  When I tell people they look at me like I have two heads.

[Poll]

Re: I want to EBF for 11 months... (poll included)

• The AAP recommends at least a year.  You can't give cow's milk until one, so why wean earlier when you'd have to give formula for that extra month?  I'm going at LEAST a year, but C has allergy issues and if he can't have cow's milk I'll continue BFing as long as both of us are comfortable and ok with it.  I'm prepared to go 2-3 years.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My goal was 6 months (1.5 weeks away!).  My supply tanked a few weeks ago and we supplement with formula now.  But, we're still on the breast sometimes ... I hope that counts!  ;)  We'll see how much longer we can go together ... not long, I fear ...
  • Loading the player...
  • My goal was a year but due to low milk supply I have had to supplement w/formula.  Now on Domperidone and seeing great results (baby drinking less formula after each feeding) so hopefully he will wean off of it if my supply is enough for my BIG baby boy!
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • imageBFab11:
    The AAP recommends at least a year.  You can't give cow's milk until one, so why wean earlier when you'd have to give formula for that extra month?  I'm going at LEAST a year, but C has allergy issues and if he can't have cow's milk I'll continue BFing as long as both of us are comfortable and ok with it.  I'm prepared to go 2-3 years.

This is what I've heard.  Which is why I've been so confused that people think I'm nuts to want to EBF for 11 months (with EPing the 12th month due to schedule issues) before starting to wean.  I do plan to include BM for up to 2 years but EBFing the whole time isn't feasible for me beyond that 11 month mark I'm afraid =(.

• Don't worry about what people think.  I get those crazy looks all the time.  My MIL asks when I'm gonna feed her grandson real food.  I'm going at LEAST a year, if not more than that.  I think its sad that so many women don't even consider BFing.  It really is what's best for Mom and Baby.

I'm pretty sure that we get strange looks because people who haven't BFed before think its a burden on the mother to BF for that long.  This is the impression I get from others anyway.

• imageLeeghsy:

imageBFab11:
    The AAP recommends at least a year.  You can't give cow's milk until one, so why wean earlier when you'd have to give formula for that extra month?  I'm going at LEAST a year, but C has allergy issues and if he can't have cow's milk I'll continue BFing as long as both of us are comfortable and ok with it.  I'm prepared to go 2-3 years.

This is what I've heard.  Which is why I've been so confused that people think I'm nuts to want to EBF for 11 months (with EPing the 12th month due to schedule issues) before starting to wean.  I do plan to include BM for up to 2 years but EBFing the whole time isn't feasible for me beyond that 11 month mark I'm afraid =(.

Psh - you're still planning to EBF girl! Just b/c you'll have to pump most of the time b/c of work (grad school is work) doesn't mean you cease to be an EBF'er in my book, esp. with you still bfing when you're present with him in mornings and evenings.

• imageLeeghsy:

imageBFab11:

People just don't know.  I had a guy friend (single, no kids) ask me what C was eating now (he was only 4 months old at the time).  I said, "breast milk."  And he was like, "still?  What else?" um, nothing!

Anyway, do what is best for you and your family.  There will be someone telling you that you're BFing too long, and someone saying you didn't go long enough.  You're the only one who can decide when to stop.  Good luck!

• When you all say "EBF for a year" do you mean "exclusively" like no solids at all? Because everything I've read says you should start solids around six months, even though they still get most of their nutrition from BM for the balance of that year.

I plan to breastfeed for a year. I was hoping to EBF, but we have to supplement with formula. Still, I consider myself a BF mom and I plan to do it for a year -- in fact, I'm hoping that once we have a good start on solids, I will have to give her less (or no) formula because she'll start getting some of those extra calories from her food. I also assume we'll be doing comfort feedings, etc. after a year.

• Does that mean no solids or no formula? My goal is simply no formula. I plan to BF for 12 months+. Solids at 6 months (with a few tastes earlier). Hell, I might do breast milk into toddlerhood, or I might work up a supply and give some of it in normal cups later!
    Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• I was told on new years eve by a close family friend that after two weeks all the benefits of breastfeeding are gone. I looked at him and quoted the aap. His kids are as old as me so the times have changed a bit. It is the only tine I've faced it and once I educated him about it he was like oh well keep it going. Lo is 8 months old today..she still breastfeeds and eats solids two to three times a day. I plan to go at least a year and then continue my freezer stash and nurse at morning and night until we wean.
    Books to read in 2015: 9/60
  • I plan to EBF until 12 months. At that point I'll introduce cow's milk into her diet as well, but still continue to breastfeed. I hope to go to two years unless she self-weans sooner.
  • This was my plan to.  I thought I'd share since I hit 11 months on Saturday.  Once I made it this far, I just don't feel like introducing formula.  DD still has 4 bf sessions.  We nurse in the morning before care, 8oz at daycare and 2 times in the evening. She eats 3 solid meals and 2 snacks. Solids were introduced at 6 months. 

I guess my point is no you're not crazy and you  may feel like going longer when you get to that point.  People are just uninformed and/or dumb.  I guess you could give them the benefit of the doubt that their reaction is really of awe that you could do something so hard for so long, but I doubt it :P

• I EP and I plan to do it for a year but I'll start solids whenever C seems ready. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Okay, you can start introducing whole milk during the 11th month.  Thing is, most babies won't go from BM or Formula straight to whole milk...way different tastes.  If you have a freezer stash, you can always give BM for the last month until LO's 1st birthday.

My LO is 12.5 months and has had small amounts of whole milk because my freezer stash is ridiculous, I still pump once per day and I nurse when we're home.  Do you what you feel is best.

• I voted 9-12. But I def want my baby getting BM to at least 1 yr. But I may switch from EBF to a combo of BF and pumping a little before 1 yr. Im only 14 wks pregnant, so we'll see how it plays out.
  • Well I EP and have made it almost 9 months. My goal is a year as long as my supply holds up. After that we'll see. DD does eat some solids but BM is her main source of food.
    ::Blog:: ::NOTD Schedule::
    ::GP Nesties FAQ:: ::My BFP Chart::

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Sarah has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
    hide
    "I won't sugarcoat the truth just so you can swallow it without the pain"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"