North Dakota Babies

xp: talk to me about Texas

I know we have some Nesties & Bumpies that live in Texas, or have lived in Texas so share some info with me please :)

DH & I are thinking about vacationing in the Lone Star State for our 2nd Anniversary. Yes, I realize our 1st Ann. hasn't officially come yet (a few more days!) but I'm bored to death right now and need some distractions.

Unfortunately I'm of no help as far as direction right now, because Texas is HUGE and I have no idea where we would want to visit, seeing as there are so many awesome things to see in Texas. If it helps at all we consider ourselves "foodies" and we're both really into History / historical sites. We go on vacation and spend more then half of it in museums. :) We usually love to pack a vacation full of activities and see as much as possible, but we also realize that because Texas is so big we will probably have to stay in one area.

Our anniversary is in January, but we're open to delaying the trip if that means we'll have better weather.

TIA ladies :)

Re: xp: talk to me about Texas

• We lived in the Dallas area for a few years, so I'm far from the Texas expert but can tell you what I think from my time there. If you like history and food, I would look around San Antonio. There are tons of little towns around there, the Alamo, etc. that you can go visit. I think it has a lot more history than Dallas. And Austin is only an hour from San Antonio so if you were there for more than a few days you could always drive up to Austin and check out that city too.

But, I wouldn't suggest Houston or Dallas. I think Houston is smelly (no offense to any Houston people) and Dallas, while tons of food options, doesn't have a lot of historical things.

• Oh! and there is New Braunfels just north of SA which has an awesome water park, and a cute little town. There is tons of great bbq and southern food places all over these towns.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely suggest Austin and San Antonio.  Lots of history and great food.
  • I would definitely suggest Austin and San Antonio.  Lots of history and great food.

The riverwalk in San Antonio is awesome.  I took a ton of pictures when we were there in October:  https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2343249&id=36601625

• Toally second the above. I would personally make Austin the primary destination and spend a day or two in SA. There is lots you can do in Jan in both places, you could make a trip out of eating in Austin alone. It's one of my favorite things to do there Smile. There is also the state capital and natural history museum, live music, outdoor stuff, etc. The weather is freaky, it's been in the 60s there this week, so you could potentially do outdoor stuff. Hotels are relatively expensive (for Texas), if you don't mind being off the beaten path you can get a B&B for almost the same as the holiday inn. The Driskill is a historical hotel right in the prime part of downtown but $$$ I think. New Braunfels is a historic town with Greune Hall nearby, which is pretty fun unless you just hate country. There is a restaurant called the gristmill there that overlooks the river so those two make a good night out. What the area (New Braunfels) is really known for is tubing the river - think lazy river with coolers of beer. That is obviously a warm weather activity, say, April at the earliest. Then of course San Antonio has the riverwalk and the Alamo. It also has Sea World, and the Hyatt Hill Country resort is nice, but it's the kind of place where you could just go and stay on property for several days during warm weather. Let me know if you have any other questions. Smile
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you ALL for the information! It looks like we're narrowed down to San Antonio & Austin. I mean, literally every single one of you said that's where we should go - so, we're going to focus on those areas and start researching.

I'll definitely be asking many more questions! :)

• imageJennifer43:

But, I wouldn't suggest Houston or Dallas. I think Houston is smelly (no offense to any Houston people) and Dallas, while tons of food options, doesn't have a lot of historical things.

LMAO I feel the same way about Houston!

New bio with helpful info for DW knotties!
    Ashley & Josh ~ The Reef Resort ~ Grand Cayman~ May 15th 2010
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"