Houston Babies

Torn-MDO or not

I have wonderful inlaws that keep Tyler for us but I feel that maybe next year that we need to do MDO at least 1-2 days a week for him.

I guess I worry that he will not be ready for school when it is time(I know...worries of being a primary grade teacher).

They are pretty good at taking him to the library for story time as well as to the park but I feel like he needs to be exposed to more educational things as well as spending more time with kids his age.

Thoughts?

Re: Torn-MDO or not

• My kids have gone since 9mo and 10mo. But honestly I don't think it's necessary for them. I would probably send my kid to preschool at 3 if they hadn't been before then, but before that I think it's more for the parent or in your case, your in laws. I do know that several kids at our MDO/daycare have grandparents watching them most of the week but go to MDO 9-2 to give granparents a break.

- Jena
  • I say do it. Kids love it, not just to build their social skills but just to be social. I waited until T was 18 mos to put him in and after just a couple of weeks I wished I had done it sooner. With Mathis, he started going (granted to a much smaller class, only 4 kids) at 14 mos. They do love it and they learn so much by being with other kids. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I personally cannot wait to enroll DD.  She will not be able to start until fall (when she is almost 2) and I know it will be hard for me, but I think it will be wonderful for her and also a nice break for mommy a couple of days a week.  I would rather break her in slowly to a school routine then go from being with mommy 24/7 to a 5 day pre-k program.
  • We made the move in August from having C in an in home daycare where he was largely by himself most days to a church-based daycare/preschool near our house. What a difference! I wish we had been able to have him go at least part-time at an earlier age, but that wasn't an option. He has learned so much and his social skills have really taken off. I know without a doubt that he'll be ready for Kindergarten. I don't regret having him in an in-home daycare when he was younger, and knowing that he was getting individual attention and care gave me greater piece of mind. However, had the opportunity presented itself I would have moved him to a MDO around 2 years old instead of waiting until 3.

• Daycare has been good for the boys. They've both learned a lot and been well cared for.

As for transitioning to real PK, some things are easier after our experiences with having our eldest at daycare. We've also gotten some childhood illnesses out of the way. And, he is certainly used to certain aspects of school that are taking time for those who are transitioning from home to school.

That said, by this second semester of PK3, everyone seems to be figuring it out and doing just fine.

• yes do it! i am a teacher too..and was SOO nervous when i first enrolled him..he was going on 2.5.. ours is a 2 day/week program from  9-2 but i only have him 3 hours since it works out better for our drop off/pick up (my dad and husband alternate)......everyone could tell right away how his oral vocabulary increased....it took a month for him to stop crying...and another two weeks to eat and sit with his peers...before xmas he was doing it and no tears!!!! his teachers were very good and they let him adjust and feel comfortable before forcing him to do arts/crafts etc...

having taught kinder..i could tell who went to prek...just from a social aspect...who knew what to do in a school...that's why i enrolled him in an MDO....but i was on this board asking the same questions as you...and when school started for him i was a nervous wreck!!!! 

• My son stays with my mom.

I will do some sort of home learning with him.

He will go to pre-school at age 3.

18 Months!! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just enrolled my daughter in a 2 day program for the same reasons. I love that my mom watches her but I really felt like she needed to be around other kids her age. I'm a tad nervous about handing her over to strangers but at the same time terribly excited for her because I know she will have a blast.

Good luck with your decision.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love MDO and highly recommend it. 

I stay at home and I have two children.  When Sarah was transitioning to toddlerhood, my gut feeling was that the church-based MDO programs I was looking at would be great for her, no question.  The hard part for me was letting go as a parent and putting my child in a group care setting.

I can say with all honesty that choosing to enroll the girls in an MDO program was one of the best decisions I made -  for myself and for them.  Sarah started MDO at 12 months, but Elizabeth went at 4 months.  They have always been in some sort of program since that time.  I credit MDO and preschool with helping me survive 2 under 2.  Both girls have always loved every program they've attended.

I gradually increased days and hours as they got older.  The first program I enrolled Sarah in was T/Th, 9:30 to 1:30, or just 8 hours a week.  Sarah will be 5 this summer and she now goes to pre-K 30 hours a week.  Elizabeth is also in preschool and goes for 18 hours a week. 

I doubt I would still be a stay at home mom without the breaks MDO and preschool have provided me.  There's no way of knowing what my children would be like if they'd never gone to MDO or preschool, but in my opinion there's only been a positive impact.  No negatives whatsoever.

• imageKKMMex:

I doubt I would still be a stay at home mom without the breaks MDO and preschool have provided me.  There's no way of knowing what my children would be like if they'd never gone to MDO or preschool, but in my opinion there's only been a positive impact.  No negatives whatsoever.

Funny that you say that. I feel the exact same way. If I wasn't afforded the luxury of having some free time to myself, I would have gone back to work before #2 was even born. I have only had positive experiences as well :) 

• imagerayskit10:
    imageKKMMex:

Funny that you say that. I feel the exact same way. If I wasn't afforded the luxury of having some free time to myself, I would have gone back to work before #2 was even born. I have only had positive experiences as well :) 

Despite my band-aid ripping ways, I've always thought I had a lot in common with you! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"