January 2011 Moms

is it normal for your cervix to be above the baby's head?

i had my 40wk appt today and my midwife tried to perform an internal exam (this was my first one). she told me last week that they could sweep the membranes today if i hadn't had the baby this past week. so today, i go in, ready for an internal & ready for the membrane sweep. after A LOT of rooting around up there she tells me the baby's head is so low that she can't feel my cervix. she said it was back up behind the baby's head so not only could she not check dilation, she couldn't perform the sweep either. i was a little disappointed & just didn't think to ask when i was there, but does that seem normal? it's making me wonder what kinds of issues i could face if the position of it doesn't change soon, i go for my NST & another u/s on Thursday so i'll be asking her what kinds of problems this might pose then, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had failed attempts to check for dilation. is it normal for your cervix to be up behind the baby's head if they're beginning to descend?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: is it normal for your cervix to be above the baby's head?

• I'm no expert, but it does seem pretty weird to me. If the cervix were behind the baby, wouldn't that mean the baby is coming out??

I hope things get moving soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • imageRedZee:

I'm no expert, but it does seem pretty weird to me. If the cervix were behind the baby, wouldn't that mean the baby is coming out??

Thats what I was thinking!  It doesnt make sense to me. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageRedZee:

I'm no expert, but it does seem pretty weird to me. If the cervix were behind the baby, wouldn't that mean the baby is coming out??

I hope things get moving soon!

This, seems like how dilated you are is a moot point at this point.

Good Luck! 

DH - 42 Me - 36 DS1 -15 DS2 - 3 DD - 1
  • Weird!  I agree with the PP.  Sounds like the baby is already practically coming out??  Hopefully that means LO will be born soon!

BFP #1 12/28/09 D&C 2/15/10
    BFP #2 DS

BFP #3 5/13/12 M/C 6/10/12
    BFP #4 8/12/12 M/C 8/18/12
    September 2012 - 2.5mg Femara + Ovidrel + TI = BFP #5 Beta #1 - 61 @ 12 dpo, Beta #2 - 183 @ 14 dpo, Beta #3 - 1466 @ 19 dpo
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine has been like that for 3 weeks.  It is normal is some cases..the closer to the date the closer your cervix comes closer.  (that is how it was explained) She said she could go under her head and really check but it would hurt me and she wasn't going to do that to me. 
  • imagenate2011:
    Mine has been like that for 3 weeks.  It is normal is some cases..the closer to the date the closer your cervix comes closer.  (that is how it was explained) She said she could go under her head and really check but it would hurt me and she wasn't going to do that to me. 

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. My midwife told me the same thing, that she could "try" to check it but it would be very painful. Hopefully as he truly gets ready for his big arrival things will shift into a better position! 

• Mine is like that also. I actually discovered it when sex with my DH was really painful, I went investigating and couldn't find my cervix and felt baby's head right inside...weird! My doc says it is normal and baby is sitting at station -2 but no dilation. He has still been able to check my cervix but it hurts bad when he does b/c he has to kind of push his way back to find my cervix.

• This was my exact case at my appointment today. Baby's head is so far down in my pelvis that my OB couldn't reach my cervix. I am being induced tomorrow night for complications with pre-e. She told me that based on the position of the baby's head I would most likely have a very favorable induction. Fingers crossed! I hope your LO comes soon!
  • Mine was "tucked way up" in the back at the internal I had to have at 33 weeks, but this week it was more centered when she did the internal, which of course made it much less uncomfortable to check.  I read somewhere that it's very normal and that the cervix will move more central when dilating.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"