Health & Exercise

Exercise Frustration

I WAS a very active woman pre-pregnancy but lately, I can't find many activities to do:

1. Running still but in an hour I have to stop and pee twice

2. Spinning hurts my lady parts now

3. Former BodyAttack aerobcs instructor, but now am only taking the class, doing low impact

4. Yoga one day a week, because it is about allI can stand.

5. Tried swimming but don't like being cold and know I should not go into the sauna to warm up.

WHAT ELSE IS THERE? 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being pregnant, and can't wait to meet my baby boy in May, but just want to make sure I keep my fitness level at a reasonable level. 

Thanks for your advice. 

Re: Exercise Frustration

• I was active to pre prego! The bigger you get the more uncomfortable exercising is. I was only able to walk and also did water aerobics. Everything else was too uncomfortable. Although I wish I could of done more, I gained 50 lbs, lost 30 fast and now I am not budging...this last 20 is going to be difficult I have a feeling. 

Good Luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMommy Jess:

Although I wish I could of done more, I gained 50 lbs, lost 30 fast and now I am not budging...this last 20 is going to be difficult I have a feeling. 

Good Luck

How did you loose the 30 fast?!  I'm trying HARD to stay at a reasonable weight but I'm feeling bigger and bigger.  I want to know that I have hope after LO comes to get back to feeling good about my body!

• Loading the player...
  • You just have to listen to your body and do what feels comfortable to you.  No one else unfortunately can tell you what to do or what is right.

I can tell you what I am still doing though and I also have a baby due in May.

-I am still running 3-4 miles 2-3x/week.  I often "feel" like I need to pee, but when I stop to do to I realize this is just an urge and not a reality, so for now I am just ignoring it and it is only mildly uncomfortable.  I hope sure this will become more of a problem over the next few weeks/mondays.

-I do a 60-75 minute cardio/weight class 3 times per week.  I am still doing most of the high impact moves, but if something feels uncomfortable I don't hesitant to move to a low impact option.  

-A 45 minute spin class 1x/week.  This instructor who teaches this classes does most of the class out of the saddle, so I haven't had any problems there.  Is is possible for you to do more out of the saddle work, instead of sitting?  Also I brought my seat a little closer than a normally do so I don't have to lean forward as much as that is nice.

Are you interested in lifting weights?  Lifting is great for you and as long as you aren't overdoing it weight wise there are basically no pregnancy restrictions besides modifying for comfort.

How about the elliptical?  Boring, yes.  But I can still do the elliptical at the same intensity/time I did pre-pregnancy.  There is always walking too.

Good Luck! I hope you find something that works for you as I know how important being active is both mentally and physically.

• I wish I knew!! When I got home from the hospital after 4 days, I had only lost 3 lbs on the scale! I was freaking out but it was mostly water and swelling from all the fluids.  The following 3 weeks, the weight just came off. I wasn't exercising either until 5 weeks.  Now I am back at the gym working so hard to get back to "normal" weight or at least to where I feel comfortable with my body again! Not to scare but its really depressing for me anyway to look in the mirror and feel "gross".

I just keep reminding myself that I did just have a baby and it took 9 months to gain all this weight and it will take time to get it back off. Everyone is different though...my girlfriend who doesn't ever workout but is petite gained 35 lbs and right when she delivered her tummy was seriously flat again and she was wearing her pre prego clothes. Most of us though still look about 6 months prego after you deliver. Good Luck with everything darling! In the end, everything is worth it when you are holding your little miracle!!!!! There is nothing more amazing than being a mommy!

• imageJessJ222:

-A 45 minute spin class 1x/week.  This instructor who teaches this classes does most of the class out of the saddle, so I haven't had any problems there.  Is is possible for you to do more out of the saddle work, instead of sitting?  Also I brought my seat a little closer than a normally do so I don't have to lean forward as much as that is nice.

Are you interested in lifting weights?  Lifting is great for you and as long as you aren't overdoing it weight wise there are basically no pregnancy restrictions besides modifying for comfort.

How about the elliptical?  Boring, yes.  But I can still do the elliptical at the same intensity/time I did pre-pregnancy.  There is always walking too.

Awesome advice and thanks!  I think I will find some good new music for my ipod and start walking more and elliptisizing (was that a word?)  I could also try weights.  I am now more motivated! Thanks again! 

• imageMommy Jess:

I just keep reminding myself that I did just have a baby and it took 9 months to gain all this weight and it will take time to get it back off. Everyone is different though...my girlfriend who doesn't ever workout but is petite gained 35 lbs and right when she delivered her tummy was seriously flat again and she was wearing her pre prego clothes. Most of us though still look about 6 months prego after you deliver. Good Luck with everything darling! In the end, everything is worth it when you are holding your little miracle!!!!! There is nothing more amazing than being a mommy!

Thank you!  I'm really excited- and scared all at the same time! 

• I don't think there's any reason you should stop teaching unless it's very painful for you or if you have some other risk factors and your doctor has told you not to teach.

Teaching (I'm a Bodypump and Bodycombat instructor) really kept me active because I had classes counting on me.  I taught Combat to 40 weeks and Pump to 41 weeks.

If you were very active before, you should be able to be very active during pregnancy.  Your body will tell you when you're doing too much!!

Good luck!

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • I have a very similar workout schedule as Jess (but I only run 1 to 2 miles 3 times a week) and I noticed that my intensity is slowing down.  However, I still take BodyPump and BodyCombat classes (my SIL teaches them) and I still take spin, run and do weights.  I think you need to expect that your intensity level will decrease, but you don't have to stop teaching or working out (talk to your dr. about this).  I know it's frustrating (trust me, I can't stand that I'm not working out at the same 'level' as I was prior to my pregnancy)--but listen to your body.  Good luck!
  • I am so with you! I ran a 16-mile trail race the day before I got my BFP and now it's just a struggle to crank out a few miles. I don't have problems with having to pee but I run outside and a bathroom isn't an option.

I'm in the midst of switching up my schedule but it's a little like this:

Run: 3x a week, 4 miles or till I tire out.

Yoga: 3-4x a week. I am taking slower, more gentle classes that are no more than hour. I've found that I don't tire out as quickly as I do with running.

I plan to take water aerobics or Aqua Zumba once these get to be too much. Our Parks and Rec department offers a lot of those things, and the pools tend to be heated for such classes. I will also switch back to weights when I can no longer do yoga. 

Other things to try: walking, elliptical, cycling (not spin), stair master and Zumba.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"