August 2011 Moms

Conflicting Info (vent)

I try not to rely on Dr. Google too much since it can be a wealth of misinformation. Tonight, however, I decided to research pregnancy-safe medications since I had seen a few posts where people were scolded/mocked for not looking to the internet instead of posting on the boards. Since it is very late at night on a holiday I couldn't call a doctor, either.

Long story short, I am finding conflicting information on the safety of antacids (not acid reducers, obvi.) I was told by a couple of different women that TUMS are safe because they're calcium carbonate but on the internet I have literally found a 50/50 divide on whether they're safe.  One site even said they were safe but only in the 2nd trimester. 

Anybody know if TUMS are OK? I wasn't about to take any chances with a better, stronger medicine.  

If you made it this far thanks for your patience. :) 

imageimage

Re: Conflicting Info (vent)

• It is my understanding that Tums are safe. I took them with my first pregnancy and was told by my dr this time around that they are safe.
  • I have never seen or heard any medical evidence that TUMS are not safe. Where did you read that they weren't? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I lived on them when  I was k/u with Ella Grace. She has one head, 2 eyes, 1 nose, two ears....

you get my point. :)

Feel better! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:
    I have never seen or heard any medical evidence that TUMS are not safe. Where did you read that they weren't? 

Gah! I know, right? I thought they were entirely benign. This is why I only turn to the internet as a last resort-I am loathe to be bombarded with misinformation. I don't recall my exact search terms but literally a ton of sites came up and after the 4th one telling me it causes some bizarre fetal issue I had to stop reading; I was giving myself an anxiety attack, lol. There were just as many sites stating they are fine, which, while reassuring, added to my frustration.  Were it not late at night I would've called the doctor but I figured someone on the boards might know. I'd already chowed down on a few before I started the search (like an idiot, lol.) 

imageimage
  • imagemlc100805:
    It is my understanding that Tums are safe. I took them with my first pregnancy and was told by my dr this time around that they are safe.

Good enough for me. :)

P.S. I <3<3<3<3 the name Delaney! 

imageimage
  • In the information packets my CNM gave me, Tums are safe. As is Benadryl, regular Sudafed, and a few other during pregnancy life saving drugs.

Happy New Years and eat those tums up. I have about 6 bottle strategically placed in my living room, office, car, bedroom, kitchen area, and my purse. 

the LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalms 34:18
    My Blog || BFP Chart
    11/27/10-BFP, EDD 8/9/11 || 1/4-7/10- missed m/c 9wks
    4/25/11- BFP , EDD 1/5/12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My drug book (2009) has Tums listed in pregnancy category C. It has shown to have adverse effects on the fetus during animal studies, but has not been tested in humans (clinically), however, the potential risks do not outweigh the benefits to the pregnant  person or their fetus.  

That's a pharmacology reference I use as a nurse. 

Tums' website advocates its use in pregnancy.  

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • imageMrs Case:

Tonight, however, I decided to research pregnancy-safe medications since I had seen a few posts where people were scolded/mocked for not looking to the internet instead of posting on the boards.

I saw some of those posts and they infuriate me because google is not your friend in pregnancy.  So many horror stories and there is so much misinformation. I would rather trust someone from the August board who has looked in her doctor packet than ask on yahoo!

The website I do use a lot is the American Pregnancy site. 

• imageMrs Case:

imagemlc100805:
    It is my understanding that Tums are safe. I took them with my first pregnancy and was told by my dr this time around that they are safe.

Good enough for me. :)

P.S. I <3<3<3<3 the name Delaney! 

AW, thanks! We call her Laney most of the time. I love her name so much, and I'm frustrated this time around bc so far I haven't found another name I like as much! :)

• imageNurseMom1:

My drug book (2009) has Tums listed in pregnancy category C. It has shown to have adverse effects on the fetus during animal studies, but has not been tested in humans (clinically), however, the potential risks do not outweigh the benefits to the pregnant  person or their fetus.  

Which drug book? When I pg with DD, the PDR did not have a rating for it. Neither does safefetus, drugs.com or epocrates.  

• I'm pretty sure they're safe. I've been taking them the while time...
  • I practically lived on Tums during my last pregnancy.  They were on my "safe" list given to me by my OBGYN, so I feel confident that they are just fine.  Smile  Feel better!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tums are fine. You can also try Caltrate instead, and it seems to work the same (it's a chewable and safe calcium supplement).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:
    imageNurseMom1:

My drug book (2009) has Tums listed in pregnancy category C. It has shown to have adverse effects on the fetus during animal studies, but has not been tested in humans (clinically), however, the potential risks do not outweigh the benefits to the pregnant  person or their fetus.  

Which drug book? When I pg with DD, the PDR did not have a rating for it. Neither does safefetus, drugs.com or epocrates.  

This one, "Saunder's Nursing Drug Handbook (2009)": 

https://www.amazon.ca/Saunders-Nursing-Drug-Handbook-2009/dp/141605989X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1294088716&sr=8-4 

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"