Alabama Babies

Birthing Classes

Did you go to one? I'm worried with mine and Greggs schedule next semester we won't be able to. He goes from coaching basketball straight into baseball and we're both in grad school.

Are there others in Hunstville other than at HH? (I'm delivering at HH but they offer the night classes and I am in class one of those nights and Gregg is the other.)

Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers

Re: Birthing Classes

• Crestwood offers them as well.  Also the Madison HH center...the offices around where they are building the new hospital has a bunch of weekend ones...or at least they did when we had Aubrey. I'm not sure, but a Nurturing Moment may offer them too...they are on Airport Rd. 

We only took a parenting class.  I had wanted to take a birthing class but it just didn't fit into our schedules.  

• No, we chose not to. I looked into it, and the only good option schedule wise was the hospital classes-but I didn't honestly feel like they would be that helpful, because I've heard a lot of people say they weren't. I do wish we'd done one for baby CPR, but we could still do that elsewhere anyway. But as far as the 'labor' related classes, we decided we  were okay with our own research. I did a ton of reading (I totally love The Birth Partner-I think it tells you everything about labor you could possibly want to know-including common complications, medication/pain relief options, etc.)

I've asked the OBs a lot of questions regarding my personal preferences, and then took the hospital tour. I feel pretty prepared...at least..as much as I'm going to be! ;)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We took the parenting class, but honestly, it was a waste of time.  I was looking for a class that was a lot more hands on, i.e diaper changing, bathing techniques, feeding issues, etc.  The parenting class had 30 minutes of hands on with a baby doll.  The rest of the 8 hour class was devoted to birth/c-section/epidural info.  The bump boards and research had me well prepared for that, so I considered it a waste of time.  I never considered the birthing class b/c when I found out the size of Miller I knew I'd have a c-section. 
  • Erin - we were kind of in the same boat.  The only night the hospital here offered classes was a night DH taught.  A friend recommended https://www.amazon.com/Laugh-Learn-About-Childbirth-Bayles/dp/B000PLXFSS

It was a little cheesy, but informative.  Of course, we didn't watch the part on C-sections and that's where we ended up.

• Nope!  I've heard similar things from others about them being a waste of time - nothing that you can't research on your own.  I didn't feel like I missed anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok, so if we dont make it to one I won't feel like a bad mommy. I have been reading about everything so I think I will be fine. I am going to try out the link Amy suggested and look into the book Lauren suggested so we will see.

Thanks!!

Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers
  • Crestwood offers Saturday classes.  We are taking the classes at Crestwood, which is where I plan to deliver.  To me, the classes have been great.  I like to be really prepared for things, and I feel like the classes are getting me prepared for the birth, what to expect, etc.  However, what Crestwood and what Huntsville will allow during and after labor are very different, so I would definitely recommend taking classes at the hospital where you intend to deliver. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My SIL delivered at Crestwood, and they gave her videos to watch at home since they couldn't attend the night classes. Maybe ask your Dr. about some videos or another alternative to the classes. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"