Alabama Babies

Ergo or BabyBjorn

Re: Ergo or BabyBjorn

• My short answer is absolutely get an Ergo!

My long answer:  I have both.  I got the Bjorn before I really knew anything about babywearing or carriers.  I used it some, but I decided to get an Ergo once I learned more about them. 

One thing that most people like about the Bjorn that the Ergo doesn't offer is outward facing carrying.  However, the baby is basically hanging there by their crotch instead of in a supported seating position.  The Ergo is more of a natural and comfortable position for the baby, and it has more support for the wearer.  I felt like his weight was distributed better in the Ergo.  Also, the Ergo can switch from front, side (like a sling), and back carries. 

It is a little more expensive than the Bjorn, but it was worth it for me when I was wearing him for long periods at a time.  I think that's the bottom line:  the Bjorn would be fine for quick periods and occasional use, but if you are planning on wearing the baby for any extended time (or letting her fall asleep in it) then I'd recommend getting an Ergo.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelilcrablegs:

My short answer is absolutely get an Ergo!

My long answer:  I have both.  I got the Bjorn before I really knew anything about babywearing or carriers.  I used it some, but I decided to get an Ergo once I learned more about them. 

One thing that most people like about the Bjorn that the Ergo doesn't offer is outward facing carrying.  However, the baby is basically hanging there by their crotch instead of in a supported seating position.  The Ergo is more of a natural and comfortable position for the baby, and it has more support for the wearer.  I felt like his weight was distributed better in the Ergo.  Also, the Ergo can switch from front, side (like a sling), and back carries. 

It is a little more expensive than the Bjorn, but it was worth it for me when I was wearing him for long periods at a time.  I think that's the bottom line:  the Bjorn would be fine for quick periods and occasional use, but if you are planning on wearing the baby for any extended time (or letting her fall asleep in it) then I'd recommend getting an Ergo.

Ditto, I was going back and forth between the two and finally decided on the Ergo and I'm so glad I did.  I agree 100% with Bethany, I thought that losing the forward facing ability would be bad, however when you try to wear a baby forward facing its very uncomfortable and unnatural feeling. 

• Loading the player...
  • I actually have  a Beco and I love it. They don't hang from the crotch in it and I know they just came out with one that can forward face as well. I liked it because it went to 45 lbs. and can be worn in the front or on your back which I thought was great. I still use it and he is 16 months old

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have both.  I got the Bjorn when Caleb was a baby and while he and I both loved it for a few months, he quickly got to heavy for it and we were both uncomfortable in it.  I will say, though, that the forward facing feature of it is great.  Caleb LOVED facing outward being able to see everything.  It was really great and I hate that the Ergo doesn't do that...although I do understand the reasoning behind it since it isn't the best ergonomically.  So far, Lanie doesn't really like the Ergo, but I think it's because of the infant insert.  She seems so squished in it.  I think we'll like it better when we don't have to use the insert which will probably be in another month.  I'm also using the Baby K'tan and you can forward face in it.  It's just okay to me...I don't feel like she is snug and supported in it like she should be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"