Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Any other repeaters ready to throw in the towel?

As I get ready to head to an appointment to confirm my second miscarriage, I can't help but ask myself - Do I really want to do this again? I know there are women on this board who have experienced worse, from stillbirth to multiple, multiple mc's and then some, and I can't tell you how much respect and admiration I have for you. But as more friends and acquaintances announce their births and pregnancies and our friends and relatives begin to ask a LOT of questions, I can't help but wonder whether I need to just move on and consider creating a family in a different, less heartbreaking way. I've already started looking into adoption (after a family history of breast cancer and given the cost and limited reliability of IVF, I'd prefer to steer clear of fertility treatments) but DH seems pretty reluctant to accept the idea that we may not be able to have children the good old fashioned way. We still don't know what, if anything is wrong with me or if we truly, definitively are unable to have children of our own, but I have to tell you, I honestly don't know how much further I can push this. I've been pregnant twice in five months and all I have to show for it are horrible acne and a broken heart. Am I crazy to want to give up already?

Re: Any other repeaters ready to throw in the towel?

• Options
    I am sorry you are feeling this way but it is not abnormal either to feel this way.  I remember when I was on the July 2011 board and I read about another miscarriage I would think to myself "If that ever happened to me I would not want to start all over again and have a chance of this happening again".  Well it did happen to me and while I am greiving for this loss and wish it was all a nightmare and I can wake up and be pregnant again I can't wait to start TTC again.  I'm not sure how I would feel if I have had repeated miscarriages as this was my first but for you it just depends on how BADLY you want this.  I have known women who have tried for years to concieve, then miscarriage, then become successful.   Everyone is different and maybe you just need a little time to heal and talk things over with your dr. about your options.  I wouldn't give up so soon but that is just me.  GL! 
    Photobucket
    DD#1 9-4-04 *** DD#2 10-15-07
    BFP#3 10-25-10 *EDD 7/1/11 * missed m/c @ 13w3d
    BFP#4 7-30-11 *EDD 4/8/12 ~ DD#3 born 4/4/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is my first pregnancy and first loss. I fear going through another one. I understand not wanting to relive it again. I do want to let you know that my sister in law had 2 healthy childrens, followed by two losses, one at 9 weeks, one at 12. Then her third and final healthy child. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you get your baby soon, in what ever package you decide you would like it to come in!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry love :(  If I was in a similar situation, I would probably go to the doctor just to rule out something like a progesterone deficiency, which would be easily treatable, but beyond that, you have to listen to your heart - and do what is best for you and your family. 
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options
    I've had two losses in the last 5 months as well, one at almost 13 weeks and then a possible ectopic at 5 weeks. Both very drawn out and complicated. I am eager but at the same time completely terrified about it happening again. How could it happen twice I keep asking myself and dear god there must be a better plan for me. I keep thinking I'm ready to quit but the alternative is not being a mom and I'm not sure I could live with that.
    BFP #1 6/18/10 Saw HB 7/15/10 Missed M/C 8/17/10 @ 12 weeks 2 days- 2 D&C's( 8/20 and 8/26) BFP#2 11/21/10 Nonviable at 5wks, possible ectopic. Methotrexate 12/3/10&12/9/10 BFP#3 3/10/11 Beta@12dpo 39 Beta@14dpo 160! 21 DPO 2439 HB at 7wks 127 EDD 11/17/11
    ITS A BOY!!!! Born 11/13/11 BFP #4: 10/29/12 edd 7/11/12
  • Options

imagejulesjb:
    I've had two losses in the last 5 months as well, one at almost 13 weeks and then a possible ectopic at 5 weeks. Both very drawn out and complicated. I am eager but at the same time completely terrified about it happening again. How could it happen twice I keep asking myself and dear god there must be a better plan for me. I keep thinking I'm ready to quit but the alternative is not being a mom and I'm not sure I could live with that.

I understand, but disagree that the alternative is not being a mom. I can still be a mother, it may just not be in the way that I originally planned. One of my best friends was adopted from Korea and her mother is as much a mother to her as anyone with a biological child. Plus, the idea of providing a loving, stable home to a child that might not have one otherwise doesn't sound like a terrible alternative to me. Still, I'm waiting until I have my blood work done before making a final decision. If I continue down this path, I'll need a lot more certainty than I have right now.

• Options

imagejulesjb:

I understand, but disagree that the alternative is not being a mom. I can still be a mother, it may just not be in the way that I originally planned. One of my best friends was adopted from Korea and her mother is as much a mother to her as anyone with a biological child. Plus, the idea of providing a loving, stable home to a child that might not have one otherwise doesn't sound like a terrible alternative to me. Still, I'm waiting until I have my blood work done before making a final decision. If I continue down this path, I'll need a lot more certainty than I have right now.

• Options

imageHappyAardvark:
    I'm sorry love :(  If I was in a similar situation, I would probably go to the doctor just to rule out something like a progesterone deficiency, which would be easily treatable, but beyond that, you have to listen to your heart - and do what is best for you and your family. 

2 miscarriages isn't enough for a doctor to do a lot of testing. Some will do RPL (recurrent pregnancy loss) testing after 2, but a lot wait until you have 3 miscarriages.

I've had 2. We've only been TTC since May of this year, but if we don't conceive in the next few months or have a 3rd miscarriage, I'm going to start to look into the basics of adoption. I don't know if emotionally I can deal with having more miscarriages.

• Options

Ah hon, I can totally understand how you're feeling.  I have had those thoughts more times than I can count.  Personally, in your situation, I think you are just too close to a recent mc to make the decision to quit.  Give yourself a little break, heal physically and mentally over this and then think about what you want to do.  Honestly, I cannot tell you how many women I have come across who have had two and three miscarriages only to go on and have beautiful healthy babies.  What you are experiencing could be as simple as low progesterone or your blood clotting too easily.  I'm not sure what testing you have had done, but I think if you express your concerns and frustrations to your doctor, he/she might be willing to do a little investigating.  With my sister in law, after three miscarriage they put her on progesterone and baby aspirin and that did the trick.

I guess the thing is, and I've said this time and again, it's actually really flipping hard to get pregnant (yeah I know, tell that to the teen who had sex one time and is delivering a baby as we speak lol)... But when you look deeper into it, carrying a baby to full term with no complications really is a miracle.

As I said, give yourself some time to heal from all of this, then sit down and seriously talk to your doctor about what options you have.  Some doctors will not start testing until after your third miscarriage because miscarriages ARE so common that they don't consider you as having "recurrent miscarriages" until after your third one.  But I've heard more and more women say that their doctor was willing to do some testing after the second one.  The testing for clotting is as easy as a blood test.  Don't give up hope.  But right now, let yourself be angry, frustrated and just down right pissed... You have a right to be. What you are going through is a trauma and you need to actually get THROUGH it... then give yourself some space.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Options
    I am so sorry you are going throught this.  The first few days after we found out we lost this baby, DH and I both said we don't know if we can handle anymore heartache.  Now, I feel like I will want to try again as soon as we can.  It really is a miracle to have a healthy baby.  You have to do what you think is right for you- I definitely agree that adoption is a wonderful thing and adopted parents are definitely moms and dads.  I don't think that is what the pp meant.  I told my doctor that I wanted testing after two losses.  I told him that I couln't keep doing this and I think that soemthing is wrong witth me.  He doesn't think so, but said he would do tests if it made me feel better.  I think it is your right to have testing if you want it.  Two losses is two too many in my opinion.   I hope you have peace with whatever you decide.  ((hugs)) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagekimmiekp:

Ah hon, I can totally understand how you're feeling.  I have had those thoughts more times than I can count.  Personally, in your situation, I think you are just too close to a recent mc to make the decision to quit.  Give yourself a little break, heal physically and mentally over this and then think about what you want to do.  Honestly, I cannot tell you how many women I have come across who have had two and three miscarriages only to go on and have beautiful healthy babies.  What you are experiencing could be as simple as low progesterone or your blood clotting too easily.  I'm not sure what testing you have had done, but I think if you express your concerns and frustrations to your doctor, he/she might be willing to do a little investigating.  With my sister in law, after three miscarriage they put her on progesterone and baby aspirin and that did the trick.

I guess the thing is, and I've said this time and again, it's actually really flipping hard to get pregnant (yeah I know, tell that to the teen who had sex one time and is delivering a baby as we speak lol)... But when you look deeper into it, carrying a baby to full term with no complications really is a miracle.

As I said, give yourself some time to heal from all of this, then sit down and seriously talk to your doctor about what options you have.  Some doctors will not start testing until after your third miscarriage because miscarriages ARE so common that they don't consider you as having "recurrent miscarriages" until after your third one.  But I've heard more and more women say that their doctor was willing to do some testing after the second one.  The testing for clotting is as easy as a blood test.  Don't give up hope.  But right now, let yourself be angry, frustrated and just down right pissed... You have a right to be. What you are going through is a trauma and you need to actually get THROUGH it... then give yourself some space.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kimmie, you are one of my greatest heroes on this board and your kinds words meant a lot to me. I'm grateful that after only two losses my doctor (who I absolutely love and would follow to the ends of the Earth) is more than willing to perform all the tests I request. We're going to wait another week for the heartbeat to finally stop before selecting a treatment option and scheduling testing, but I'm holding off on making a final decision until I can schedule the testing and hear the results. It's so hard right now, but I am hopeful that at some point soon we can have a pregnancy that sticks. Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and prayers.  

• Options
    Thank you Penny! You are one of the inspirational women I mentioned in my initial post! I think women like you are nothing short of amazing and wish you nothing but great success, thoughts, prayers and blessings as you work toward having a beautiful family. I really appreciate your feedback. 
  • Options
    Oh no I def didn't mean only having a biological child makes you a mom!! I just meant quitting this whole process, starting a family... I know the process of adoption can be long and emotionally grueling too! I just meant at times I feel like throwing my hands up in the air but try to remind myself to keep fighting on the road ahead to making a family, I am open to however that family comes to us!! Sorry for the confusion I didn't mean to seem insulting!! I'm sorry for what your going through and am here to give support!! T&P
    BFP #1 6/18/10 Saw HB 7/15/10 Missed M/C 8/17/10 @ 12 weeks 2 days- 2 D&C's( 8/20 and 8/26) BFP#2 11/21/10 Nonviable at 5wks, possible ectopic. Methotrexate 12/3/10&12/9/10 BFP#3 3/10/11 Beta@12dpo 39 Beta@14dpo 160! 21 DPO 2439 HB at 7wks 127 EDD 11/17/11
    ITS A BOY!!!! Born 11/13/11 BFP #4: 10/29/12 edd 7/11/12
  • Options

imagejulesjb:
    Oh no I def didn't mean only having a biological child makes you a mom!! I just meant quitting this whole process, starting a family... I know the process of adoption can be long and emotionally grueling too! I just meant at times I feel like throwing my hands up in the air but try to remind myself to keep fighting on the road ahead to making a family, I am open to however that family comes to us!!Sorry for the confusion I didn't mean to seem insulting!! I'm sorry for what your going through and am here to give support!! T&P

Thank you!  

• Options

I am currently torn.  I feel myself growing more bitter and less like I can feel the hope I need to be successful.  I feel like I need more answers or more from the medical profession to give me some sort of reason to keep trying.  There has to bee some reason why my babies keep dying inside my body. It's not that my body wont hold them, their sweet little hearts keep stopping.  The ectopic I understand can happen to anyone, but the 4 others just seems to need to add up to something in my mind.  After the 3rd we found I had a blood clotting disorder, however when I became pregnant this last time they did not recommend anything other than the daily baby aspirin I alreayd take for myself and I feel like they should do something more however I just odnt know if there is anything more they can do and if not I just dont know how many times I try the odds to see if something will change.

I have so many questions and yet in a way I want it so badly and almost feel I just want to grieve my final grieve and move on accepting that I can no longer reproduce. It's just so hard to know when to stop.  For me, I've had two have a D&C/D&E twice and I am not sure how many times you can go through that physically before it becomes dangerous but I know I am in excellent hands and if my Dr says I can keep trying for now I will.  I will give myself a couple more years and then I'm done.

Good luck to you all and I certainly send you all my care and thoughts in your grieving.

• Options

I can understand how you feel. I have only had one, I can't imagine what you have been through. I had a very traumatic experience during my miscarriage and told my husband we weren't having anymore (we already have a healthy 3 yr old). The whole experience terrified him, losing the baby and thinking he may lose me. He said he would not push me into anything.

After a few days I started to reconsider that decision. We really wanted this baby. I do not want to rush into trying again out of grief.

We have also always talked about adopting also. My good friend adopted two of the smartest, cutest kids ever! We still know that may someday round out our family.

Only you know how much is too much for your heart and body. I would follow through with your testing and appointments. I think in the long run it'll help you choose your path. It may also help your husband feel more a part of the process. GL :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"