May 2011 Moms

Measuring big... really big!

My ute has been measuring much bigger (at the 22 week mark when I was just 18 weeks) but my midwife figured that is because I am only 5'2" so I don't have much space for the baby to go. Yesterday at my anatomy scan, they measured baby at 21w2d and 14 ounces! DH was 11lbs 1oz when he was born, so this is worrying me a bit. I am going to call my midwife and see what her thoughts are. Was just wondering if any other babies are measuring real big.

Started Dating 12/7/01
Married 6/6/09
DS 5/11/11
DD 9/13/13

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Measuring big... really big!

• Good to hear there is another out there. I charted and had a 6 week US as well, so I too am positive on my dates. I tried to call my MW but forgot they are closed today for NY eve... maybe I will see her at work tonight and can ask.
    Started Dating 12/7/01
    Married 6/6/09
    DS 5/11/11
    DD 9/13/13

• When I was pg with DS, I always measured right on time (no indication that he'd be big)  He was almost 10lbs when born at 39w.  U/S can be off quite a bit.  If you're still measuring big later on, the standard practice at my OB office is to do an u/s to guess weight. 

• Loading the player...
  • At my 20 week us the baby was measuring at 1 pound and 2 ounces. I am hoping the estimate was just high. All three of my moms kids were at least 8 and 1/2 pounds so i really hope i am not going to have a 10 pond baby
  • Drs can only estimate.  My sister gave birth three weeks early due to preclampsia and dr said he would be about 6 pounds.  He weighed 4 lbs 10 oz.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My baby is measuring at one pound so 16oz already. That was on Wednesday. I heard at this point they can weigh anywhere from 12 to 20oz already.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • I wouldn't worry too much about it, like others said, it is just an estimate. I had a friend who was 10 days over due with her little guy and they did an ultrasound the day before he was born and said he would be about 8 1/2 lbs- and he actually weighed 10lbs 3 oz! So, their estimating was a bit off!
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My little girl was measuring 13oz at 21 weeks..pretty average. And I have had all 7 to 8 lb babies...very hard to tell at this point
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine too. So much so that they moved up my due date by 5 days
    Stillbirth at 23w6d on Sept, 22, 2008 M/C at 5 weeks June 14, 2010 My miracle, James Frederick born May 2, 2011 via C-section
  • I worry about this one too...we have our ultrasound on the 11th and I will be almost 21 weeks.  DS weighed 12 oz. at our 20 week ultrasound and he was 9 lbs. 5 oz. born 3 days early. I only tore a small amount so my midwife said if I could push out a 9 lb. baby without a problem then I'd be fine.....ugh....I really would prefer not to. Good luck. I would wait and see how the baby grows before I worried too much.
  • We are not measuring ahead, but that's not a bad thing!  As long as the doc says everything looks okay and you feel fine, then I wouldn't worry.  I wonder if maybe you could have some early GD??  How are you feeling??
  • imageKristi85:
    We are not measuring ahead, but that's not a bad thing!  As long as the doc says everything looks okay and you feel fine, then I wouldn't worry.  I wonder if maybe you could have some early GD??  How are you feeling??

I haven't had my GTT yet, so I don't know about GD but I am not feeling any different. Earlier in the preg I had some difficulties with hypoglycemia, so my midwife said I am less likely to end up with GD but I very well could defy all odds I suppose.

Thank you ladies for your words of encouragement. I so badly want a vaginal birth and cringe at the thought of a 9+ lbs baby. I told DH today though, that of course if vaginal doesn't work then we will just have to zip it out and I will survive!

Started Dating 12/7/01
    Married 6/6/09
    DS 5/11/11
    DD 9/13/13

• So far I'm measuring on track but my SS was 10 lbs 11 oz.  My husband was 6.1 when he was born and I was 7.8.  Not sure what SS's mom's size was when she was born.  I've been terrified about having a huge baby.  My MIL is visiting and said my DH's ex got REALLY GINORMOUS HUGE when she was pregnant with SS and that although I'm a big girl I'm nowhere near as big as she was.  She wasn't just fat, she had problems (hives and I don't know what else) and had to take cortisone and blew up like a whale.  She decided she was never having another kid and has since had a tummy tuck (I saw good for her!).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly its all a guess and I would never get induced because of size. Getting induced sucks, and I would not enter into it lightly. I was induced with my daughter because of pre-eclampsia, and it took 4 days and it was aweful! 

It really just depends on the size of your babies head not how much they weigh. Labor is labor and it's very rare your baby will be too big for you to push out. My daughter was born 16 days early and she was 7lbs. 12oz. If she had gone till her due date she probably would have been around 9lbs. I would have taken a 10lb baby over being induced any day.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • At 20 weeks, LO measured 1 pound.

DD was large...9lbs 3oz

Photobucket
  • Where you uterus and baby are both measuring big, is it possible your EDD is off?
    "Right beside you is where I belong... from this moment on." imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was a large baby at birth....10 lbs, 8 oz....and I came over a week early! (My mom even had a c-section scheduled since she had one with my older sister.)

My DS was only 8 lbs, 5 oz and he was born vaginally 4 days before his EDD (although he always measured on track with his due date).

I just wanted you to know that having one parent be large as a baby doesn't necessarily mean that you will give birth to a large baby. :)

Did you chart at all while TTC? It's possible that you ovulated at a much different time in your cycle than the day 14 that all EDD's are based on (since it's driven off the first day of your LMP).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was charting while TTC. My O date was obvious and backed up by postive OPKs. I then had an u/s at 6 weeks, where I measured 6w2d, so real close at that point.

After talking with my MW she said we could do another u/s a little later to compare. She is skeptical of u/s as she has seen a lot of them be off by a lot (I have as well working in L&D). She said it really depends on the tech and the specific measurements, and she will be more convinced one way or the other with a second u/s later. So we shall see.

Started Dating 12/7/01
    Married 6/6/09
    DS 5/11/11
    DD 9/13/13

• imageCassondra09:

I was charting while TTC. My O date was obvious and backed up by postive OPKs. I then had an u/s at 6 weeks, where I measured 6w2d, so real close at that point.

After talking with my MW she said we could do another u/s a little later to compare. She is skeptical of u/s as she has seen a lot of them be off by a lot (I have as well working in L&D). She said it really depends on the tech and the specific measurements, and she will be more convinced one way or the other with a second u/s later. So we shall see.

I had a late ultrasound with DS at 37 weeks, 2 days and they said that he was already 8+ lbs at that point. He ended up being born at 39 weeks, 3 days and weighed 8 lbs, 5 oz. In the last few weeks of pregnancy, the baby is supposedly gaining 1/2+ lb a week, so the ultrasound was obviously off in predicting my baby's size. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Both my mom and DH's mom each had 3 c-sections because not a single one of their babies would descend into their pelvis and dilate them to a full 10cm...and then I went and had a vaginal birth! Strange things happen. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"