Houston Babies
Options

Small age gap?

For those of you who have children 2-3 years apart, what type of feedback would you give someone considering doing the same?

After DD, we weren't sure if we would try again.  However, DH has been hinting at wanting to try again.  I'm just not sure.  He doesn't want to wait too long because he feels as if he is getting too old.  I just want to make sure I consider everything (good and bad) before discussing it further.

Just a few points:

- My next pregnancy will be high risk which will involve going to weekly visits and possible bed rest.  I'll have a c-section (third one) around 37 weeks (if not needed before).  My mom and sister don't work so if I needed help with DD, they are close enough to lend a hand.  Also, DH can work from home if I end up in the hospital.

-I'm a stay at home mom so no problems with daycare/work or anything like that.  Finances aren't an issue and we have plenty of room for another child.

-We also have a 12 y/o son who we haven't actually talked to yet.  He absolutely loves his little sister so I'm sure he would be excited about bringing another baby into the house.  However, I'm sure this would be added stress for him in the next couple of years as the babies get older.

BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
BFP #4 5/29 EDD 2/9 - please be our rainbow
imageimage
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Small age gap?

• Options

I would say go for it!!  I'm getting excited for you just thinking about it.  Mine are 3 years apart, to the month.  And as much as I wanted my second sooner, I now think 3 years is perfect, or at least it is for us. 

image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • Options
    with childcare and finances good and since you are home (in case of bedrest) I would go for it too. We will probably TTC when DD is 1.5 yrs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    #1 and #2 are 21 months apart; #2 and #3 will be between 29 and 30 months apart.  If you know for certain you will be high risk I would wait a little longer.  It is physically very hard on you being pregnant chasing a small child.  That being said, I love the age difference between the first two because they are so close.  They are each others favorite playmate.  There is so much joy watching them together.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecharlotteL:
    #1 and #2 are 21 months apart; #2 and #3 will be between 29 and 30 months apart.  If you know for certain you will be high risk I would wait a little longer.  It is physically very hard on you being pregnant chasing a small child.  That being said, I love the age difference between the first two because they are so close.  They are each others favorite playmate.  There is so much joy watching them together.

Ours are also 21 months apart.  I agree with everything Charlotte said.  It was very challenging having them so close together but now that DD#2 is about to be 3yo, I'm glad they're close in age.  The small age gap means they have more in common.  Obviously the fact that they're the same gender helps with this also.  Down the road, they'll be only 2 grades apart in school.  This is nice because it means they'll both be at the same school for a longer stretch of time.

If you know you'll most likely have a high risk pregnancy, I'd probably wait a bit longer. It's tough being pregnant and running after a young toddler.

• Options
    mine are 14 months apart.  I wish that the gap were a little larger.  They are both in diapers and require a lot of attention.  The older one didn't really understand when he needed to wait for anything.  Communication is still hard with a 14 month old.  He's now 34 months and we can have a full on conversation and he follows verbal commands (sometimes, but he does know what I'm saying).  I think 2.5 years would be about right.
  • Options

Mine are 21 months apart. I won't lie, the first 6 months were tough, but not I love the age gap. They play very well together and love each other very much.

We will likely start trying again next year around September giving a much bigger gap for that one.  

Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you so much!  We definitely have to talk to my doctor about it before we try again.  I know it would be hard.  I'm not sure what we will decide but I guess this is a good starting point.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I love the spacing between my children, they're 31 months apart.  Honestly I don't think that I could have planned it any better.  DD#1 is a big helper and adores her sister.  I say go for it! 
  • Options

I am excited for you Z!

I have no advice because I just have 1, but we want our next one to be about 2 years younger than Audric.

We will possibly start TTC after Audi turns 1 year

18 Months!! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine are 18 months apart and we love it!  Do it :)
  • Options

Mine are 2.5yr apart and it seems perfect to me. Honestly DD was hard to handle right when she turned 2, so I got pretty nervous while pg and I don't think I'd want kids any closer together than that. But she settled down some before the baby came and has mostly been a very good helper.  The only downside to our age gap is that DD is a summer baby and DS a fall baby, so they'll be 3 years apart in school, not 2.

- Jena
  • Options
    I agree that it's hard at first when the youngest is a baby and the oldest is in the throes of the terrible 2s or 3s, but now that they're older (5 and almost 4), I am so glad they're so close in age.  Sometimes they get bored with each other because they're different genders and find different things interesting, but most of the time they still play well together.  Right now they're building a cardboard boat with pieces of a box, tape, and an empty toilet paper roll.  :)
  • Options

#1 and #2 are 23 months apart.  #2 and #3 will be 30-31 months apart (depending on when he/she comes).

We love the age range.  My girls are very close and love to play.  That being said, it has been tough to be pregnant while having a little one.  The morning sickness, exhaustion, etc is tough.

But, if you have help available, it might be easier. 

(I just realized how similar my children and Charlotte's children are in ages.  Weirdness!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine are 26 months apart and I love it. In fact, we tried to have them a little closer but my body had other plans. Anyway, I think mine are a really good spread. The 1st 3 months were hard but it got exponentially easier after that.

If I can ask, why are you going to be high risk? 

• Options
    Mine will be about 14.5 months apart.  If I would have ever thought I'd get pregnant so easily this time, I would have waited a bit longer to start trying.  I think 18 months - 2 years would be the best age difference for us.  With that said, I'm excited that once they're older, they'll have such a great play mate that should be into the same things as the other.  I'm hoping they'll end up being great friends.  I'm just nervous about Dylan still being a baby and adding another baby to the mix.  I don't think he understands at all how much things are about to change or that there's even going to be a new baby in the house in the next 6 weeks or so.
    After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagerayskit10:

With DD, I was diagnosed with severe preeclamsia and HELLP syndrome.  The scary part was the lack of physical symptoms to clue me in on what was happening.  With the next pregnancy, I will have to go in for regular urinalysis and bloodwork.  Well... and also GD but I don't really think that is a big deal.  I know that can be monitored easily and kept under control.

imageimage
  • Options

my girls are 2 years, 4 days apart and I think it's perfect.  Marion was the perfect age between having enough physical independence but not old enough to be too terribly headstrong.  The last trimester, since I knew I'd have a repeat c/s, I worked really hard on teaching her to get in and out of her chair at the table herself, helping her get dressed herself, things that involved a lot of lifting, etc. that I knew would be hard right after a c/s.

I thing the two best things that I was able t do before having Eliza was to have Marion in panties during the daytime and to put her in MDO three days a week.  Both of those things have made our life with two much easier than I anticipated.

• Options
    imageZAngel:
    imagerayskit10:

With DD, I was diagnosed with severe preeclamsia and HELLP syndrome.  The scary part was the lack of physical symptoms to clue me in on what was happening.  With the next pregnancy, I will have to go in for regular urinalysis and bloodwork.  Well... and also GD but I don't really think that is a big deal.  I know that can be monitored easily and kept under control.

OK. That makes sense. I was asking primarily because I qualified as High Risk due to age for my 2nd. It was a little silly in my case, to be honest, and my OB never treated me as high risk just because I was 35+ since I was generally healthy and it was not my 1st pregnancy. However, should I get pg again I'll be 38-39 and it might be different...

• Options

Mine are 19/20 months apart.  When DH is here, it is easy peasy.  With him gone, it can get hairy trying to get 2 ready for daycare, always carting 2 to the grocery store, etc.  But, I love it and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  

However right this very second, I'd leave them both on a street corner.  Calgon!!!! 

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"