Baby Showers

Who hosts?

My sisters and my mother and hosting a shower for me on my side of the family. When my mom told my aunt, she seemed hurt and said that aunts are traditionally suppose to throw the shower. Has anyone else heard of this? I was thinking if anything, it would be the aunts of the baby (my sisters). I'd love for everyone to be involved. I guess it is silly to be asking since the invites are going out, but I'd like to make my mom feel better about her sister's hurt feelings.

Re: Who hosts?

• In my family it's usually mom or sister.  I know in many communities it's seen as bad etiquette to have the immediate family host and is often an aunt, more distant relative, or friend.   I think in this case, it seems like who ever gets there first wins.  You aunt can be involved by having a great time attending your shower.  Not everyone gets to host.
  • I was always taught that it was tacky if either grandmother hosted the shower.  I did google it since I have seen question so many times.  This is the info I found.

Who Hosts the Baby Shower: Historically, the baby shower was hosted by someone outside of the family (friend, co-worker, symbolic Aunt). Today, anyone other than the Mommy-To-Be and her mom can throw a baby shower for her friend or family member! It is most common for the Best Friend, Aunt, or sister to throw the Mommy-To-Be the baby shower! It is becoming more common for co-workers, cousins, groups of friends, or church/temple friends to throw the shower and much appreciated.

I looked at a few websites .. this paragraph is from

https://www.babyshower101.com/baby_shower_etiquette.html

• Loading the player...
  • If the invites are ready to go out it is a bit late for your aunt to become involved at this point.  Proper etiquette would be an aunt or cousin of the mom-to-be to host...but she should have said something much earlier if she wanted to host.  I suppose your mom/sister could have her handle something (games?) to make her feel involved.  OR...as the other pp said...she could just enjoy herself as a guest.
  • really, i don't think it matters.  i guess if your from a family that strictly practices etiquette behavior then maybe it would be more of a big deal.  but a lot of times, i have seen the mom or MIL be a host or co-host at least.  and personally, if she REALLY wanted to be the one to throw it, maybe she should have spoken up and "claimed" it before someone else had the chance to;) her nose sounds bent!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"