Baby Names

wacky boy middle name

since we started TTC, we've been thinking of baby names.  i've already decided on a girl name, but when it came to thinking of a boy name, that was a bit trickier.

i've always loved the name Ender for a boy, then my husband suggested:

Ender Broadsword

for a boys name...i kinda liked the ring it had to it.  i know that "Broadsword" is a totally crazy, wacky, silly middle name, but for a boy, that could be kinda cool.  i could picture him getting into a sword fight and then saying "do I know how to use a sword?  my middle NAME is broadsword!"

and really, middle names are pretty much only for the birth certificate, and to show them i mean business when i call them by their full name firmly.

any other "unique" middle names out there?  i think my favorite of all time is Penn's (from Penn and Teller) daughter's name: Moxie Crimefighter!  ha ha, that is so awesome!

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
newest addition: Ender Greyson!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimageimage

Re: wacky boy middle name

• It's not terrible as a middle name, but with the fn of Ender, it sounds like there should be a dirty joke in here somewhere...Embarrassed
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • That sounds like a lifetime of torture to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Seriously?! What about

Ender Evelyn

Ender Bedwyn

Ender Hermes

Unique, but not "wacky" 

• Umm....well maybe Ender Leopold?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It is awful. Sorry. How often do you plan on your son playing with swords?
  • Personally, I think you should pair Ender with a more traditional middle name.  That way if your child is uncomfortable by having an unusual first name, he could choose to go by his middle name.  He wouldn't have that option with "Ender Broadsword." 

Having "Broadsword" as a middle name sounds cool for a cartoon character but not so much when you are naming a human being for life.  It seems to me that it would quickly lose its appeal.

• I know a person whose LAST name is Ender. It seems appropriate since its at the end of his name, that its the Ender. I can't make myself think of it as a first name. It gives off a negative tone to me. 

Maybe your H should start writing romance novels so he can have characters to name instead of real people. Broadsword? That's just plain awful. Sorry. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Not my style for first or middle name but if you like it go with it.  I tend to like more traditional names.

I'm just curious, but what are your other children's names?  If they have wacky middle names, go for it.  If not, I wouldn't have one child stand out that much.  My brother and sister both are names after a family member, but I wasn't.  This made me stand out as different and I didn't like that when I found out.  I felt left out and unimportant.

• I'm not sure if this post is serious or not....

Did you get the name Ender from Ender's Game? I love that book and have always secretly liked the name, though I wouldn't ever use it.

Don't give your kid a stupid middle name like that. Everyone makes fun of Penn for naming his daughter that, and everyone will make fun of you behind your back.  

• imagekimberly_ann81:

I'm just curious, but what are your other children's names?  If they have wacky middle names, go for it.  If not, I wouldn't have one child stand out that much.  My brother and sister both are names after a family member, but I wasn't.  This made me stand out as different and I didn't like that when I found out.  I felt left out and unimportant.

my other's are Lucia Delise and Elliot Diesel

my DD's middle name is actually my middle name AND my mother's middle name, my grandma made it up by combining her name and her mother's name (Delpha + Phyllis =  Delise)  my DH picked my DS's middle name, because

a) he drives, loves, and studies diesel engines.

but what convinced me is that...

b) it has the same letters as Delise, just rearranged.  (if we could re-rearrange the letters to make a new middle name, we probably would use that instead for #3)

also, i think i have to stick up for Penn (and all unique names) a bit, because i understand WHY he chose the name for his DD.  having a popular name is more torturous for a kid than having a unique one.  i grew up with a pretty unique name (for my generation anyway), so the teacher never had to call me by my full name.  on the other had, i had classes that had 3 Mike's, or 4 John's.  and now my kids have classes with multiple Ella's, and Sophie's, and Emma's, and Aiden's, etc.. If we name a child Lucia, or Elliot...or Ender, chances are they will be the only ones with their name in their class.  And as far as middle names, Penn's wife was the one who pushed for the name Crimefighter, because she doesn't have a middle name and she thinks middle names are stupid.  Like I said before, the only time I've ever used my kid's middle name is to sternly scold them to let them know i'm serious.  If he didn't tell anyone at school his middle name was broadsword, then who would know...or care?  and i doubt our family and friends would make fun of the name behind our back, and if they do...oh well.  (in fact, i know my BIL's would think it was pretty awesome)

i'm not saying my husband and i are set on the name "Ender Broadsword" (but i still love the name Ender...yes from Ender's game), but whatever name we think of will probably be as unique and original as we can make it, and you won't find it on the social security website of "most popular baby names"!

btw, no hard feelings to anyone who wrote that they didn't like the name. Smile

imageimageimageimage
  • Makes me think of "big penis" ....

"You like my broadsword ladies?"

oh dear... 

• imagewhensongbirdsing:
    imagekimberly_ann81:

my other's are Lucia Delise and Elliot Diesel

my DD's middle name is actually my middle name AND my mother's middle name, my grandma made it up by combining her name and her mother's name (Delpha + Phyllis =  Delise)  my DH picked my DS's middle name, because

a) he drives, loves, and studies diesel engines.

but what convinced me is that...

b) it has the same letters as Delise, just rearranged.  (if we could re-rearrange the letters to make a new middle name, we probably would use that instead for #3)

also, i think i have to stick up for Penn (and all unique names) a bit, because i understand WHY he chose the name for his DD.  having a popular name is more torturous for a kid than having a unique one.  i grew up with a pretty unique name (for my generation anyway), so the teacher never had to call me by my full name.  on the other had, i had classes that had 3 Mike's, or 4 John's.  and now my kids have classes with multiple Ella's, and Sophie's, and Emma's, and Aiden's, etc.. If we name a child Lucia, or Elliot...or Ender, chances are they will be the only ones with their name in their class.  And as far as middle names, Penn's wife was the one who pushed for the name Crimefighter, because she doesn't have a middle name and she thinks middle names are stupid.  Like I said before, the only time I've ever used my kid's middle name is to sternly scold them to let them know i'm serious.  If he didn't tell anyone at school his middle name was broadsword, then who would know...or care?  and i doubt our family and friends would make fun of the name behind our back, and if they do...oh well.  (in fact, i know my BIL's would think it was pretty awesome)

i'm not saying my husband and i are set on the name "Ender Broadsword" (but i still love the name Ender...yes from Ender's game), but whatever name we think of will probably be as unique and original as we can make it, and you won't find it on the social security website of "most popular baby names"!

btw, no hard feelings to anyone who wrote that they didn't like the name. Smile

Look, name your kids what you want. That is your right as a parent.

But, to assume no one will ever find out his middle name is Broadsword is a little off. And, no offense, but Elliot is not actually unique - it is growing in popularity, so don't bank on him being the only one he knows.

• You're naming a child, not a cartoon character.   Please reconsider and pick something that will not end up embarassing your child when he is an adult.

• imageandrea922:

Look, name your kids what you want. That is your right as a parent.

But, to assume no one will ever find out his middle name is Broadsword is a little off. And, no offense, but Elliot is not actually unique - it is growing in popularity, so don't bank on him being the only one he knows.

i never claimed to assume that no one would ever find out, and i would hope that whatever we choose as a name, they're proud of it enough to not hide it purposely!  but i know that the only people who knew my middle name growing up, knew it because i, personally, told them.  if i ever thought that someone would make fun of me because of my name, than i just wouldn't have told them my middle name.  that's all i meant.  if he was so ashamed of his middle name, he could make it less public to avoid ridicule.  (although, i've noticed that kids aren't the ones who make fun of other kid's names.  it's the moms/dads of those kids who make a big deal about it, calling it "weird" or "strange".  my kids have had friends with extremely unique names, but since i don't draw attention to it, my kids don't notice or even care...they see their friends for who they are, not what their name is.)

our goal has never been to name our children something that has never been fathomed by the human baby name imagination in the history of the world  (like Spoonula Picklefeather  Jones or something).  but more to incorporate things that are important or meaningful to us into their names, while simultaneously trying to make them as unique as possible, so that they don't run into the "too many John's" problem.  in the past, when we would find a name that we liked, we would check SSA popular baby names, and if it was too high on the list we would try to think of something else.  obviously, there will always be a chance that they may meet someone, or see someone on TV with their same name, (it's a small world, after all).  so all we can do is lessen the probability, to help them feel more unique. because that's our ultimate goal, making our kids feel unique and confident in themselves.

imageimageimageimage
  • imageMoidonna:
    I don't mean any offense, but are you joking?

Exactly. I think some people just create stuff like this for shits and giggles.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"