D.C. Area Babies
Options

I need plane ride advice!

I am really starting to get panicky about the 10 hour plane ride to (and then from) Hawaii.

Our flight to Hawaii leaves at 1:30 from Newark and is a direct flight to Honolulu. This is not a great time because his normal nap time is from noon until around 2ish. So we'll have the pleasure of going through security and hanging out at the gate when he's all tired and cranky. But we didn't have much in the way of choices for flight times.

We're staying at the ILs the night before and that's about an hour away from the airport. So maybe he'll get a little nap in the car on the way there, but I doubt it.

And this is where our no tv rule is coming back to really bite us in the @ss. I have bought him dvds (The Wiggles, Dora, Blues Clues, Yo Gabba Gabba) and we have been "practicing" watching them over the past week, but he is really not interested AT ALL. He does like the Wiggles, but will only sit still for about the first 5 seconds of Hot Potato and then he just wants to dance for a few seconds, then he's done.

In addition to the (potentially useless) dvds, we are going to bring his Magna Doodle and a whole mess of books....and I know that we'll be able to walk up and down the aisle of the plane at least a few times. But what else can I do to keep him busy if I can't get him to sleep?

Re: I need plane ride advice!

• Options
    First of all, yikes, you're brave! I would actually try to keep your DS awake during car travel and airport security so he can sleep as much as possible on the plane. I would also bring a ton of snacks and interesting toys like flash cards and puzzles to keep him occupied. GL!
  • Options

Books and snacks were the only things that got us through the eight hour traffic-filled drive back from NJ this week.  (By the way, I meant to mention in your other post that I really like the Thermos Foogo straw cups for long trips.  They say they hold temperature for up to ten hours.  They work especially well if you prime them with ice water before putting the milk in.)

Like Warner, Mikey isn't interested in watching an episode of anything, but he loves songs.  Usually, we just listen to CDs, but when he and I were both sick recently, I played him a number of things from SesameStreet.org.  He loves Elmo's Ducks, Elmo's Song, C is for Cookie and Rubber Duckie (and he now assumes the computer is there for his entertainment).  Sesame Street probably has a compilation DVD with some of those songs.  Also, in a desperation move, I pulled out the DVDs of Here Come the 123s and Here Come the ABCs from They Might Be Giants.  (The DVDs come with the CDs.)  He particularly likes the 123s videos. 

Good luck with the flight -- and remember that there are fruity drinks and hammocks waiting at the end!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with PP on not letting him nap in the car so that he will be as tired as possible and pass out at some point on the plane! Snacks are a great idea - find fun containers to put them in. A range of toys (even if they're familiar, take them away now so that they are "new" on the plane). WOrking in your favor is that airports, planes, etc. are exciting and will hold his attention while you're in the airport. Save the toys for on the plane!

Good luck and have fun! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

For us, in the car with Molly a lot of small snacks work.  Like the dried fruit pieces by Gerber or the Yogurt Melts by Happy Baby or Gerber.  It takes time and some concentration for them to pick the little pieces up from your hand and eat them. 

Also in times of crisis, Molly would love any electronics she normally does not get - your cell phone, the laptop keyboard, etc.  

Good luck!

• Options

Ditto pp's advice. 

And don't give up hope on the DVDs quite yet.  My DD #2 who I think is around Warner's age isn't really that interested in TV either, and we do not have a "no TV" rule at all - I think they're just not that engaged until they're a little older and can follow the story lines.  Try the DVD's anyway - when he's sitting still in a small space of a plane and not in the familiar space of his home (with distractions) he may become much more interested.  Also if he's tired he may just zone out staring at the DVDs.  Which IMO is A-OK to get you through a plane ride. 

My friend lives in Hawaii and travels back and forth quite a bit by herself with her (now 3 yr old) daughter to the east coast.  She's always nervous about it but she has really never had anything bad happen on the trip.  I think she just goes in totally prepared for anything - hope for the best, expect the worst.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

We just finished a long day of travel with DD which included 2 hours in the security line and a 3 hour flight. It's hard but managable. Definitely try to get a good night's sleep beforehand and just try to take deep breaths during the day.

We gave DD Tylenol per the doctor's recommendation in case her ears started hurting. I also brought apple juice on board to give her during take off and landing so she would be sucking. It was in the small, sealed bottles and I put it in a ziplock and put it in the bin for the security check. No one questioned it so it seemed to be okay. I think you are allowed to bring in things for the baby and since it was sealed, maybe that helped.

The only other thing that I think may have helped DD on our trip is that I notice when she's in her carseat or strapped in the stroller, that she sort of accepts that she's constrained and will fall asleep. However, when she's "free" and on our laps, she is so squirmy and wants to get down and run around. So, I sort of wish I had brought her Ergo on board. I know you can't use it during take off and landing but I think it may have helped her fall asleep if I had strapped her to my front with the Ergo. Not sure if Warner is the same way but it may be worth a try. If you don't have an Ergo and want to borrow ours, let me know.

Oh, and on a side note, we got this for strapping the carseat to the suitcase and it worked great (however I don't think it would work for carrying the kid in it like they suggest).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just flew for Christmas.  A few things that kept DD interested were playdoh, sticker books, lollipops (it took her about 30 min to get through one of the small dum dum lollipops), and lots and lots of snacks.  Our flight was only 2.5 hours, and we didn't have a DVD player.  Books are great, but DD goes through them really quickly, and they take up a lot of space.  Good luck!
  • Options

I agree with PPs but to add something else to the mix, DD loves to look at pictures.  Particuarly of her as a baby.  She calls Facebook "Babies" becasue we show her pictures of all her friends.  Can you bring a DVD of Warners life thus far to view on the portable DVD player or lptop if you are bringing one?  I know this would occupy DD on and off for hours.  DD just got into TV recently, she really likes Sesame Street and Shaun the Sheep (her daddy introduced her to that one).  Does he have a favorite kind of animal or character?  A video starring that might work better than others.  DD is not into the Wiggles but is entertained by other children singing (not adults) when it is on videos.  Kidsongs usually goes over well.  Playdough, while messy, is a HUGE favorite in thei house.  We play with it together for a long time.  If you haven't introduced it, it would be a great airplane tray toy. 

Have a great time.  Remember 10 hours in either direction will be a drop in the bucket during 2 weeks in paradise.  Hopefully it's smooth sailing.

• Options

My kids have always fallen asleep on the plane, even if it is not naptime, and even if they previously napped.  I don't know what it is about the plane that does it, but they've been on 6 different flights together, at different times, and both have slept each time.

This time I packed a variety of snacks for each, favorite books to look at (peek-a-boo books work great), and a mirror toy for Adam to look at.  While on the plane, the kids have tried to look at my magazine and the magazine in the seat-back pocket.  Zach also watched my iTouch.  It took him a while to get into TV, but once we found something he liked, he was hooked.  Elmo and Signing Time are big in our house.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    when we flew with dd in october, the biggest hit was a packet of stretch frogs that i bought.  she loved stretching them, hiding them, playing with them, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we talked up flying a lot; we talked about planes, and clouds, and flying above the clouds, by the time it was time to fly, DD was very excited and we did not need a single item of distraction on the way to Boston (short flight, though). Ask if Warner can visit the cockpit, they do allow that. Talk about how cool it'll be to fly and what it'll be like and what he'll see outside his window and how it'll sound

white noise is great for sleeping

bring stickers, snacks that he loves, snacks that are usuall treats, something that he'll drink on take-off/landing (if he's not usually allowed juice, this would be good) for his ears

bring wipes to clean the area around his seat. DD flew right after turning 2 so we had to buy her a seat, DS was a lapchild. Bring TWICE as much of everything as you think you'll need - diapers/wipes/changes of clothes (for all 3 of you), snacks, drinks, etc

pack a little backpack or kid suitcase for him and let him explore the goodies you put in there.

have a great time!!

• Options
    My advice is to go buy a sh!t ton of cheap toys (from the dollar store, the $1 Target bin, etc) and just bring them out one by one as he gets bored.  Honestly, I wouldn't prevent him from napping in the car.  What if he doesn't nap in the car OR on the plane?  Then what?  You have a tired, cranky baby in a confined space for 10 hours.  Not good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We flew with DD to Europe (the longest flight was 10 hrs but we had transfers too). She just did not want to sit still, everything was too exciting. She loved the sounds, people, etc. There was not a lot of sleeping which sucked in the moment but I do think it helped her adjust to the time change once we got there....she was so wasted tired she was happy to adjust to a schedule so long as she could sleep.

Everyone has given good recs. I can't recommend enough to bring a change of clothes for YOURSELF. Nathalie puked all over us 30 minutes into our trip after we had pumped her full of milk to help with the ear pressure. Oye. 

Have an awesome time!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBabyHatch:

I can't recommend enough to bring a change of clothes for YOURSELF. Nathalie puked all over us 30 minutes into our trip after we had pumped her full of milk to help with the ear pressure. Oye. 

OMG I totally remember this story.  And it's the reason I bring a change of clothes for myself now in my carry on!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

Thanks, everybody! Lots of great ideas, I really appreciate it. As usual, I don't know what I'd do without you guys!!!

We're basically all packed and ready to go....I hope we haven't forgotten anything major. 

Oh, as an aside, I downloaded some awesome apps for toddlers onto our iPad....he played with a couple of them tonight and really liked them. I don't know how long they will hold his attention on the plane, but I'll have a full report for you when we get back!

Aloha!!!!!! Paradise

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"