Parenting after 35
Options

Who had a 1st bday smash cake?

I am starting to think about Logan's birthday. I have made several of my boy's cakes and was thinking of making this one. He likes Mickey Mouse, but I am kind of lost on smash cake ideas. Who used a smash cake? Were you glad?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Who had a 1st bday smash cake?

• Options
    It was nice having something that she could destroy without destroying the whole cake.  Looked good for the pics.  I will confess I did not have the same for DS due to sheer laziness though.  I do wish I'd thought of that but oh well...

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    We aren't. I am just going to let her "smash" her own PIECE of cake. I don't think it's necessary for her to have her own cake. I am probably in the minority though.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We gave her a little piece of brownie on her actual bday and she wasn't too impressed (it was milk/soy free)

For her party we did cupcakes, but since Maddie still couldn't have milk, we just mixed cut up bananas, strawberries and avacados and put it in a cupcake cup and stuck a candle in that. She had fun playing in it and smearing it everywhere. Those are some of her favorite foods and she really liked it. I don't know that she would have known what to think of cake at that time.

• Options

I got mine for free from Shop Rite with the purchase of Aaron's cake (for the adults). If you remember, he was FREAKED by the icing and wouldn't touch it. Hated it. Poor kid.

I wouldn't pay for one... but if he likes it, it's a great photo op.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    The bakery at our grocery store offers a free smash cake for the 1st birthday, so we hot one. But if they didn't, we probably would have just given her a piece of her own to tear up. She loved it!
  • Options

I baked Ada's cakes - one little one for her and one for the guests. I don't know why, but it was incredibly important to me to do it.

LINKY TO PICS

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • Options
    imagepeeper72:

I baked Ada's cakes - one little one for her and one for the guests. I don't know why, but it was incredibly important to me to do it.

LINKY TO PICS

^ Brought tears to my eyes. I am all sorts of emotional. Thinking I want to bake her cake now instead of buying one. I don't know whether to thank you for posting that or not :)

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We let Raquel smash the big birthday cake!!!!
  • Options
    The cake place I ordered it from didn't include the smash cake. DH picked it up and he wasn't aware there was to be two. It honestly was no big deal. I cut her a big piece and she went to town!
  • Options
    We had one because it was free. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. She could have just smashed a piece of cake...although she didn't smash anything. She didn't even want to touch the cake.
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Options

I had Sabrina's One Year photos taken by a pro who came to our house on the 18th- 11 days before Sabrina turned one. She took photos for an hour- I was able to change her several times if I wanted to. At the last clothes change, we did the shots in front of a bright backdrop with a $4 cake from the local grocery store. The pics turned out AMAZING. So cute, so bright, so perfect. I wasn't sure I was going to do it but I'm so glad I did because I'm not what kind of pics I'll get at her big party on Saturday.

Also, DH and I celebrated Sabrina's party last night with her- as yesterday she was One. We got her another $4 cake, I asked that they put her name on it and they did. I brought the cake out with a lit candle and everything. I got some cute pics- some are in my blog (click on siggy pic). So I guess that's a smash cake, too??

At her party on Saturday, there will be a huge sheet cake and we'll just give her the first piece. I'm sure she'll go nuts with it like she did the "smash cake".

sorry for the novella. Yes, I did a smash cake- twice! TOTALLY GLAD.

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had one. It was cute but Mikey was unimpressed.
  • Options
    imagesuperaunt:

I had Sabrina's One Year photos taken by a pro who came to our house on the 18th- 11 days before Sabrina turned one. She took photos for an hour- I was able to change her several times if I wanted to. At the last clothes change, we did the shots in front of a bright backdrop with a $4 cake from the local grocery store. The pics turned out AMAZING. So cute, so bright, so perfect. I wasn't sure I was going to do it but I'm so glad I did because I'm not what kind of pics I'll get at her big party on Saturday.

Also, DH and I celebrated Sabrina's party last night with her- as yesterday she was One. We got her another $4 cake, I asked that they put her name on it and they did. I brought the cake out with a lit candle and everything. I got some cute pics- some are in my blog (click on siggy pic). So I guess that's a smash cake, too??

At her party on Saturday, there will be a huge sheet cake and we'll just give her the first piece. I'm sure she'll go nuts with it like she did the "smash cake".

Where did you get a $4 cake?
  • Options
    imagesuperaunt:

Where did you get a $4 cake?
  • Options
    local grocery store out here- Jewel. I think it goes by Albertsons, too. They are TINY cakes though- probably 4 servings. PERFECT for a cake smash though.
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesuperaunt:
    local grocery store out here- Jewel. I think it goes by Albertsons, too. They are TINY cakes though- probably 4 servings. PERFECT for a cake smash though.
    Ahhh. We dont have either of those here. Does sound perfect though.
  • Options
    imagesuperaunt:
    Ahhh. We dont have either of those here. Does sound perfect though.
  • Options
    Ours was free from the bakery too, but she enjoyed it so much I am really glad we had it. She was so excited when she saw it that she was trying to crawl over the high chair to get to it during "Happy Birthday", and I have some adorable pictures of her once she was getting tired shoving fistfuls of cake into her mouth.  Her one experience with cake so far has clearly been positive. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went to a lot of trouble baking and decorating an Elmo smash cake and he ignored it...total fail!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did a smash cake for the family party - which was really just dessert after Thanksgiving dinner.  I made her cake - baked and 8x8 cake, cut it into four wedges, piled three up with frosting, added some basic decorations and voila!  Since she loves pumpkin, I made a pumpkin cake and added blueberries - super easy and I just wanted to do it.  The adults had your typical Thanksgiving desserts.  We did a small pizza party with friends and for that I ordered mini cupcakes for the kids and regular sized cupcakes for the adults.  Ellie liked the cupcakes more than the smash cake really!
  • Options

DH and i both took the day off on the twin's 1st bday and got them smash cakes from the grocery store - they give free little cakes on 1st birthdays.... we took them to Picture people and did a photo session of them eating their first cake.  It was fun (even though Gray screamed through most of it- but continued to keep eating his cake!)  They also had small smash cakes at their birthday party - that i got free from another grocery store, and asked to be only done with white icing- and i decorated them myself to fit the theme (Thing 1 Thing 2 Seuss)

Griffin's first cake was one i made and he had it at his party - a small smash cake in the farm theme of his party.  Best pictures.

• Options

It was really important to me to bake Jack's cake too, but I was so busy setting up everything else that I ran out of time at the last minute.  My neighbor offered to bake the large cupcake in her pan and I decorated it to match the cupcakes I had already made. He loved it, I am so glad we did it that way.

• Options
    We had DS's party at a bakery who did the food and cake. We had a variety of mini cupcakes for the guests and a carrot jumbo cupcake for DS. He loved playing with the icing; squeezing it between his fingers and watching it schmoosh out. He ate some cake and icing but left a big chunk of it still on the plate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"