Breastfeeding

~Re-lactation Weekly Check-in~

This is a weekly check in where ladies who are working on re-lactating. they can share their successes and get support for their challenges and difficult days.

keep up the GREAT work ladies, we can and WILL breastfeed again.

This is the link for the totally awesome lactation cookies.

Also be aware that inhousepharmacy.com no longer fills orders to the US. but if you go to www.inhouseparmacy.biz 

Also i have gotten a great recommendation for Healing Pixies supply and demand tea. you can also contact Lisa at healingpixie@yahoo.com (if you go to order any and it doesnt show up please email her she will happy to accommodate you. you can also visit Healing Pixie's facebook page here.

Questions Of the Week

What are your goals for this week?

How much progress have you made this week?

HAPPY NEW YEARS LADIES.  here is to many great things to come in 2011

Re: ~Re-lactation Weekly Check-in~

• imageMadison830:

Hello! I am new here, my baby boy Wyatt is almost three weeks old. My milk didn't really ever "come in" like I thought it would, so we started out with formula and lots of frustrating and emotional nursing "attempts". Wyatt wasn't a great BFer from the begining, and I had no idea what I was doing either, so we both would get really frustrated. I had some work issues when I first came home from the hospital that caused a TON of stress, which led to a loss of appetite, which meant that right when my milk should have been coming in I was super stressed and barely eating.

Now, I've been working with my wonderful LC, and Wyatt is nursing again on BOTH sides! I'm also pumping and doing a combination of nursing, pumping & bottle feeding my BM, plus supplementing with formula as needed.  

What are your goals for this week? Continue to work on increasing my supply. I am taking 3 fenugreek pills 3x day (per my LC), and trying to eat more and drink more water. I think I can definitely increase my water intake!

How much progress have you made this week? Wyatt & I started nursing again! He used to refuse my right breast, so I was using a nipple shield, now I've started taking away the shield and he eventually latches on after a few tries. Now my nipples are super sore from nursing since I basically just started... so my goal is to continue nursing as much as I can (I pump & bottle feed when it hurts too much), and also see if I can create any stores of BM. The other day I froze my first bag of 2 oz! It felt like such a victory to me!

Welcome and congratulations! It sounds like you are doing awesome, way to go!Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Happy New Years everyone! I am looking forward to a quiet, peaceful new year's weekend with my boys =)

What are your goals for this week?

This weekend I plan to turn into a "nursing weekend". Basically, Connor and I are going to spend the day snuggling skin-to-skin as much as possible. I'm also going to start timing his feedings, and frequently switching sides, to see if I can counter-act this whole distracted feeding thing. If I can keep him eating, even if it's off and on, for 15-20 minutes per feeding (trying for every 2 hours) then I will be satisfied.

How much progress have you made this week?

I haven't really made any progress this week. We are still having to supplement with bottles at night, I just don't have enough by then. Even when I get up and pump first thing, I am lucky to get a few drops. Connor just drains me throughout the night (we co-sleep) and still needs more. Not really sure what I can do to increase my supply at night, since I'm already getting constant stimulation throughout the night from him.

I think I've hit a wall in terms of production. I'm trying to keep my water intake up, though I suck at that, and no matter what I do, the best I seem to get is about 1 oz total per pumping session. I'm trying to power pump at night, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. Maybe it takes more time... sigh.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome Madison you sound like you are off to a great start. and because you baby is so young i have good vibes that you will be able to be full on breastfeeding pretty soon.

Sharon, sound that you are doing just about everything you can. how is the more milk plus working out?

1oz is 1oz either way. and Connor is getting as much as possible during the night.

for me im still waiting on my Domperidone shipment to come in. hopefully it will be here next we so i can well start all over again lets see how long it takes this time lol. so hopefully by the end of January we are back where we where 2 months ago. 

Have a Happy New Year Ladies. 

• Tawnia, I hope your Dom arrives soon. I have all the confidence that you will be able to rebuild your supply quickly!
  • Hi- I am new to this... I have had tons of BF issues and haven't quite stopped, but for the past 3 weeks I have only been nursing from the left side.  I had breast surgery to remove some masses a few years ago and BF has been incredibly painful due to nerve damage.  So far, Ryan seems to need about 3 bottles a day to supplement.  I am thinking about trying the right boob again but I am terrified the pain will still be there :/  Also wondering if it will take a long time to get the supply back up or if 3 weeks isn't too bad??

Any suggestions?

• imagejokelly1984:

Hi- I am new to this... I have had tons of BF issues and haven't quite stopped, but for the past 3 weeks I have only been nursing from the left side.  I had breast surgery to remove some masses a few years ago and BF has been incredibly painful due to nerve damage.  So far, Ryan seems to need about 3 bottles a day to supplement.  I am thinking about trying the right boob again but I am terrified the pain will still be there :/  Also wondering if it will take a long time to get the supply back up or if 3 weeks isn't too bad??

Any suggestions?

i would try and nurse, 3 weeks isnt the end of the world, and you will have a good chance of uping your supply in that side again, however if he wont nurse on it.  eventually  the breast you nurse on will start producing enough (i hope) 

maybe if hes not nursing on that one side you can pump it instead sometimes pumping isnt as painful. that way you can supplement with breastmilk vs formula

try taking some herbal supplements too like fenugreek  (i think thats how its spelt) and blessed thistle to try and up your supply. and as always make sure you are eating balanced meals and drinking lots of water.

• Hi everyone!

hope you all had a great holiday!

We just celebrated my son's first birthday today, so bittersweet. I'm working on weaning him off of formula, but I'm really hesitant to give him cows milk.  My order of Domperidone got delayed with the holidays, so my supply tanked (AGAIN!) I'm already back up to 6 ounces a day, so I'm sure a few more days I will be back up to the 8 ounces he drinks at night.  Maybe he will start drinking more breastmilk at night since I'm taking away his formula bottles.  

My goal for this week is to get back up to 8 ounces a day, and hopefully getting 8 ounces in the freezer

Definitely made a ton of progress considering I was at a stand still last week.  

As for all of you that are working on building your supply, I highly suggest fenugreek or some other herbal lactation support (blessed thistle, goats rue etc) and your baby's are all so young, get them skin to skin while you can! My LC told me that babies keep their "breastfeeding instinct" until like a year!! 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"