Special Needs
Options

Question for G-tube Mommies

DS had his g tube put in 11-15.  This weekend he started having tissue from inside being pushed out around the tube on the outside, if that makes sense.  It is raised internal tissue forming a ring around the outside on top of his skin around the tube.  Anyway, I brought him into the pediatrician yesterday and they scheduled him to see the surgeon next week (surgeon is 8 hours away).  It didn't seem infected or anything. 

This morning though, there is even more tissue pushed out around it.  I am worried that by next week there will be so much excess tissue that it will start pushing out the g tube.  Does this even makes sense?  Does anyone else know what I am talking about or have a similiar experience?  Thanks ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for G-tube Mommies

• Options

You seem to be describing Granulation tissue. It is common, though it doesn't happen to everybody with a gube. My son's surgeon treated it by burning it off with silver nitrate sticks. Trouble is it comes back. we were up to doing at home every other day, which does hurt him. 

The only other thing we tried (and that worked ) is a cream called Triamcinolone Actonide. Our GI dr is the one that Rx it, the surgeon wasn't happy but we had to do something. We fought the granulation tissue, which continued to worsen and cause leaking for over 3 months.

Is your GI dr closer? Can you call the surgeon and see if he will call the cream Rx in to the pharmacy? 

Right now, the only thing you can do is try to keep it dry.( which i know sounds impossible. when the dr told me that, I laughed at him.)

Katherine Proud Mommy and Foster Mommy
  • Options

It is possible that it is internal tissue, however, it is more likely that it is granulation tissue.  The body sees the gtube as a foreign object that needs to be covered with skin.  So, granulation tissue is what the body produces to try to cover it up.  It is a VERY common problem with gtube kids and has several solutions.

1.  Your surgeon/GI/ or pedi can apply silver nitrate to it and it will reduce over time.

2.  We have recently had good luck using calmoseptine cream and covering it.

3.  REDUCE the amount of wiggling/movement the tube does (do you have a button or peg?)

Here are a couple of pictures of granulation tissue.  Is this what your son's looks like? 

Here is a great link about granulation tissue

I will also say that, if this ends up being granulation tissue, I would consider looking for a pediatrician with more experience with gtubes (especially since your surgeon is 8 hours away).  DD's pediatrician can treat it in the office without us having to go to either our surgeon or GI.  In fact, she recently had a yeast infection around it (another common problem) and our pediatrician treated it.  You don't need a surgeon for these problems unless they become significant.  You really should be able to count on your pediatrician to recognize and treat common gtube problems.

All that being said, it is possible that it is internal tissue.  You really have my curiosity up now...so please report back!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It does kind of look like those pictures.  The highest 'ridge' is a different color than the rest of it though.  It is a really deep red.  I was worried too because it is growing so fast.  Like every few hours it is bigger. 

He has a button in (like pictured).  His pediatricians have seen similiar things like this before, but they aren't comfortable messing with it since it is so new.  Also, we have to go to the childrens hospital every few weeks anyway.  His g.i. doctor is in the same place as the surgeon.  I will ask about the creams too.  I would rather not use silver nitrate if it can be helped.

I can't switch pediatricians either.  His office is literally the best around here.  We live way in the middle of nowhere and the only other alternative are family doctors who have no experience with all of his many issues. 

Thank you for all of the insight.  I will update next week.

• Options

We used calmoseptine ointment too - but ours grew so much we had to have a short surgery to remove it - there was too much even for the silver nitrate.   It kept it from growing back for us too.  Odd, I know, some people have to continuously deal with it - but after the procedure we never really had to worry about it. 

Hope for the best/easiest for you guys!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Grant has had both prolapse (the lining of his stomach pushing out) and granulation tissue throughout the year and 1/2 he has had a g-tube.  The granulation tissue is pink, and the prolapse is red.  However, the granulation tissue can be red in the very beginning, and if it starts to become inflammed from friction.  Both come and go, though we use silver nitrate on the granulation tissue. 
  • Options
    Okay.  Most of the tissue around his g-tube is pink, but there is one spot that is dark red.  It is also the spot that is raised the most.  Hmmm, it doesn't seem to be bothering him but now I am worried it could be prolapsed a bit as well.  I am anxious to hear what the surgeon has to say on Wednesday.  Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    If it is the highest spot, it could just be irritated granulation tissue.  Grant's will almost form a blister looking thing of red angry skin.  The prolapse is under it.  It almost has a purple tint to it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"