3rd Trimester
Options

Is it possible to have a reeeeeallly slow leak?

I posted Wednesday that I woke up with a considerable damp spot in my underwear (I could feel it and see it, but it didn't soak my pants or the bed).  Throughout the day, I continued to have little "trickles," but never enough to soak my underwear or pants.  I had an OB appointment and an internal and mentioned it to the doc and she said she didn't think it sounded like amniotic fluid, but didn't test for it.

I started having contractions yesterday afternoon.  By 9pm, they were pretty intense and 2-3 minutes apart, if not closer.  A few of them brought tears to my eyes, which concerned me a little since I never really found contractions to be all that painful with my first two deliveries.  I had occasional "trickles" throughout the day, especially after particularly strong contractions.  I drank lots of water and tried lying on my side.  When that didn't work, I tried getting up and moving around.  That only intensified them.  I called my doc around 12:45am.  She suggested I take a hot shower to see if I could "scare" the contractions away (apparently sometimes heat helps).  The shower made no change, so H and I headed to the hospital.

The monitor showed I was having contractions every minute and a half, but that they weren't of high intensity.  My cervix hadn't changed from my Wednesday appt. -- still 2cm dilated and 50% effaced.  The nurse said that if I was a week or two further, they'd have me walk the halls to intensify the contractions, but since I was only 36 weeks, they'd like to see that baby cook a bit longer.  I was given an Ambien and sent home to see if a deep sleep would relax my "irritable uterus."

I'm still having contractions and have been since they woke me up around 9 this morning.  I've had the "trickle" sensation and dampness multiple times.  It's very likely it's just watery CM or urine, but I'm a bit nervous that if it is amniotic fluid, that it's been over 48 hours since I first noticed it and there's a potential for infection.

I don't have a fever and the baby is moving.  My contractions are the same as they were last night and I was advised to come back if they intensified, if I had bleeding or if I had a gush of fluid.

Since neither my doc or the nurse seemed concerned about the dampness, should I just not worry about it?  I'm thinking I'll try to go to bed now and see what happens with the contractions, but I have a nagging worry about the baby's risk of infection.

Re: Is it possible to have a reeeeeallly slow leak?

• Options

Yes it is possible.  This happened with me and they kept trying to tell me I was leaking urine. 

Did they test to see if the fluid was amniotic? 

I would call the Dr and request and Ultrasound to check your amniotic fluid levels. 

• Options
    Yes it happened to me; I was leaking for three days.  I was convinced what I was experiencing was just cervical fluid, but it ended up being AF and I had to be induced.  The test for AF is really quick and easy; you should do it just to be sure.  GL!
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yes. i'm pretty sure in retrospect that i was leaking for about a week before my water broke
  • Options
    Absolutely.  I kept telling my doc during my last few weekly appointments that I thought my water broke because I was having so much "fluid".  But, each time they checked, it showed negative for water.  When I finally went in to the hospital (I was having contractions every 3 minutes), the doctor asked when my water broke because the test was positive.  I had no idea though.  I thought it had broken weeks before.  Soooo, it is possible to leak slowly and not be able to tell the difference.  That said, I agree with pp's, just ask your doctor to test for it.  GL!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"